Computer Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Problem

Hi, I had just recently upgraded my AMD Atholon XP 1600+ [1.7 ghz] to a Pentium 4 2.5 ghz, I changed the mother board as well, but kept everything else as they were compatible, I got a Asus Mother board, with intelp4, everything i working fine, but ASUS PROBE, is telling me that the cpu fan is below threshold, now the default value of the speed of cpu is set to 2250, my cpu fan is working at 1500, now its still the same cpu fan from my AMD 1.7, now should I be worried, and replace the cooling set, and put in probably an extra fan as well, or is it something not to worry about?

I plan to use the comp alot, I need feedback, because I don't want to screw up this comp.

Thanks
    Last edited by someuser190826; Sun 25 Jul '10, 10:28am.

Default Athlon fans are pretty wimpy. However you should be ok if you have at least one additional case fan (I have three) and/or good airflow within the case.

The P4 should run cooler than the Athlon chip by default.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I agree. If you want to do something about it you should get a p4 fan. They generally run slower.

Comment

I would get one to attach to the front of the case. This would actually suck air into the case and the powersupply fan would suck it out the back.

If you want you can get two fans.. One in the front sucking air in and one mounted in the back under the power supply and blowing air out.

However you need to check your case and see where the air flow would be to make sure the fans are mounted correctly. Mount them wrong and you can make dead air areas that heat up a lot.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

What about dust?

I'm not too familiar on this, but should you have air fans blowing air out instead of sucking it in?
          :)

Comment

If all the fans blow air out of the case, you don't have proper air flow. Without proper air flow, they can increase the temperature inside the case. You can also get thermostats to put on the fans to make sure they are only on when needed.

I personally use a flat filter to keep dust out. The ones I use are made for my HEPA vacuum cleaner and I cut them to fit. Also my computer is inside a cupboard which I can close the door on but it is open in the back.

This site should help: http://www.heatsink-guide.com/

Read the articles on case cooling first.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Thanks, Wayne!

Very informative.
              :)

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                The P4 should run cooler than the Athlon chip by default.

That may be true Wayne, but you are also forgetting that Athlon XPs architecture runs at a slower speed, but provides the performance of a higher end CPU Model of Intel

For example, AMD recently released three CPUs.

Athlon XP 2800
                Athlon XP 2700
                Athlon XP 2600

In fact, their architecture runs at:

Athlon XP 2800 --> 2.25GHz, but performs at 2.8GHz
                Athlon XP 2700 --> 2.17GHz, but performs at 2.7GHz
                Athlon XP 2600 --> 2.13GHz, but performs at 2.6GHz

Intel Eat Your Heart Out
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

I didn't forget about it. The facts that you mentioned had absolutely no relevance to the original question which was basically would his P4 chip melt with the cooling he had. It had nothing to do with a comparison of Athlon vs. P4 chips which is an entirely different conversation.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Indirectly yes Wayne it has relevance. Considering that they run at a slower speed means less heat, hence any wonder why Athlon fans are built so cheaply?
                    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Arunan.S
                      Thanks Wayne for helping, I am not really experienced with fan placements.

So do you suggest I put a fan that pulls in air, and ones that puts it out?

Sorry, I just don't want to screw up my comp.

Thanks
                      -Arunan
                      Look at the link that I posted above. It will help you decide how to cool your system properly.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X