Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. X
    replied
    Anyone have a link to the best Hardware related forum out there?
    arstechnica.infopop.net

or more specifically http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenT...562&f=77909774

The technical expertise is outstanding, and I dont trust any other site for my tech needs other than Arstechnica. Anand, [h], all a distant 2nd and 3rd imo

Leave a comment:

• SkuZZy
    replied
    Originally posted by baragon0
    Okay, forget the no links.

Anandtech and HardForum are the best. I don't think there are any other computer/hardware related forums on the web that come close to the popularity of hardforum/anandtech... they are the undisputed champions of hardware discussion I personally like anandtech better, cause it just seems more like a community to me and more organized. Hardforum is very good too, but everyone there seems a bit unfriendly to newbies.

Leave a comment:

• NetherChris
    replied
    Wow... thanks Jake... I find that really hard to believe.... less than 2 weeks ago it was slated for next year... thanks for that correction. (*puts on dunce cap and hides in corner*)

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?im...pfM18xX2wuZ2lm

Granite Bay 266 is what you want to look for in that.

Now let's even stir the pot even more. Let's show the performance of this new 2800+ on a mainboard you can't even buy. The nForce2. AMD asked us to benchmark on this board and supplied the board to us. You can't buy the board. In fact everyone that would comment on the nForce2 in Taiwan used the words "broken" and "buggy" to describe it. There are no production nForce2 boards being made, and I would honestly guess that if we see any by November in quantity, we would be "lucky". Lucky to be able to buy them, or lucky they work? I will let you decide that one.
    That was from an article published less than 3 weeks ago, so i'm rather amazed that they are even close to being ready. But, thanks nonetheless.

Personal opinion for best hardware forum: http://www.hardforum.com

Chris

Leave a comment:

• rylin
    replied
    http://forums.anandtech.com/

Leave a comment:

• ccd1
    replied
    Okay, forget the no links.

Leave a comment:

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    Originally posted by NetherChris
    In response to Jake...

at the time yes, rambus did beat the best DDR. As of now, with a decent 256MB DDR333 module at agressive timings it WILL beat out rambus scores, even more with the new Granite Bay 'set intel is due to release (check hardocp.com, bunch of reviews there... sorry baragon, you said no links ).
    DDR
    DDR333 = 2.7GBps
    DDR400 = 3.2GBps

RDRAM
    PC800 = 3.2GBps
    PC1066 = 4.2GBps

Originally posted by NetherChris
    As for nForce II, well, you're looking at next year for a release date. It has been pushed back and pushed back, and the major players have said that they currently have no production level boards even taped out. The main public testing of it was done by Kyle @ hardocp (check site again, sorry baragon) with a engineering sample nVidia board, which seemed to do well, but not by leaps and bounds (it was, of course, an alpha eng. sample that doesn't represent final product).
    they have received the retail nforce2 - http://www.tbreak.com/forums/showthr...?postid=117739

Leave a comment:

• NetherChris
    replied
    Not using thermal paste is pretty much suicide for your processor... but most HSF's come with a TIM (thermal interface material) premounted that will do the trick. I'm a regular over at the Hardforums too... you can go there for help as well as the Anand forums. Always use paste, if at all possible.

Leave a comment:

• JamesUS
    replied
    It is not "required" - I have never used any - but I know lots of people in the know, particularly overclockers, recommend it.

You might be better to ask at a dedicated hardware forum like AnAndTech - there are lots of people there who probably know more than we do about this sort of thing.

Leave a comment:

• ccd1
    replied
    Okay, looking more into the AMD's (and on the AMD website) I see that AMD chips don't have the same heat spreading as the Pentium chips. Does this mean they require no thermal paste?

Leave a comment:

• rockergrrl
    replied
    I use Dynomat to insolate my case. Its fairly quiet considering I have 6 fans in there (I have an Antec 1040B case).

Leave a comment:

• JB007
    replied
    I have a cool case too ... but ... I have a DAMN loud 120mm fan! It pulls 131 CFM @ 45 dB.

Leave a comment:

• rockergrrl
    replied
    I've never had any problems with my AMD overheating at all.

Then again, I built it myself.

AMD Athlon XP 1800, Artic Silver Compound, Thermaltake Volcano 7+ heatsink (I know better not to use the heatsink that came with the CPU), But I also have 6 fans in my case -- it says ultra cool, 2 80mm Antec fans (came with case), 2 80mm Antec Smart fans, and 2 120mm Antec Smart fans (400w psu)

When I get the money, I'm going to water cool it -- then it will be ultra ultra cool.

If you do it right -- like any machine that you built -- it will last forever and ever.

Leave a comment:

• NetherChris
    replied
    In response to Jake...

at the time yes, rambus did beat the best DDR. As of now, with a decent 256MB DDR333 module at agressive timings it WILL beat out rambus scores, even more with the new Granite Bay 'set intel is due to release (check hardocp.com, bunch of reviews there... sorry baragon, you said no links ). And also, intel is not transitioning to DDR. They already have. They won't be producing another RAMBUS board... ever. (as of now)

As for the heatspreader, it actually increases heat. Any means that prevents heat from getting from point A (core) to point B(heatsink) means heat transfer is reduced. Heat spreaders were used with AMD for mainly one reason: people cracked their cores WAY too much. If you've had a T-Bird, you'll notice the four rubber feet on it. Those are "designed" to help seat a HSF properly, although many times users still failed. Cores were chipping so much, people had to develop new retention mechanisms and such, so, they decided to do a heatspreader on the Opteron (next gen server based chip) and Clawhammer (next gen workstation chip).

Most bad reviews for AMD are from people who somehow managed to screw up the installation or who got first generation VIA chipsets (KT133, KT266, and KT333 rev. CD are all for the most part crap). Within about 2 months of initial release, they had the KT133A, KT266A, and KT333 rev. CE, all of which boosted just about everything and solved their problems as far as stability and compatibility are concerned.

Intel fanboys are exactly right... they are stable, easy, and just about impossible to damage during install. AMD has more performance, more value, and a slightly harder install, although usually you'll find it far more rewarding in the end. But don't fall for that heatspreader helps thing... it actually hampers performance (a lot of people actually yank em off their P4's, just like that old SECC casing on the P2's and early Katami P3's).

As for nForce II, well, you're looking at next year for a release date. It has been pushed back and pushed back, and the major players have said that they currently have no production level boards even taped out. The main public testing of it was done by Kyle @ hardocp (check site again, sorry baragon) with a engineering sample nVidia board, which seemed to do well, but not by leaps and bounds (it was, of course, an alpha eng. sample that doesn't represent final product).

Good luck,
    Chris

Leave a comment:

• rylin
    replied
    msi k7t pro2a (via chipset ;P)
    tbird 1ghz
    512mb ddr
    120gb WD, 2x60gb IBM, asus gf3
    winxp

uptime = 2months, 3days, 4h and 12m right now

some epox mobo (via chipset ;P)
    duron 700mhz
    512mb sdram
    30gb ibm, 75gb ibm
    linux (running mail for 10 domains, ~100 users), web/mysql, ftp, filesharing etc.

uptime = 418days and counting

yes.. very unstable

Leave a comment:

• JB007
    replied
    That's because of the AMD chipset makers. VIA is famous for 'You won't make it the first time' , ALi produces slow ones, SIS isn't much better either ... nForce II seems to be the way to go once it's released.

My sepcs:
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    MSI KT3 Ultra
    512MB DDR PC2100
    Maxtor 60GB ATA133 7200RPM HDD
    ATi Radeon 8500 LE / Modified

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X