No announcement yet.

What Can Jelsoft Do When...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go talk to the guys at www.nukepirates.com - they know what they're talking about and they bring very good results! They have shut down several thousand sites for us, people without licenses and people distributing pirated software.
    John Percival

Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity ;)

Comment

Several thousand!?
      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
        Several thousand!?
        Hey, a nuke has a very wide area of damage...
        :)

Comment

Originally posted by eiSecure
          Hey, a nuke has a very wide area of damage...
          Ah, collaterall (sp?) damage, the loss of many innocent sites.

Comment

Nope, no innocent sites have been shut down, just those without licenses or those distributing pirated software.
            John Percival

Comment

Jelsoft doesn't harm the civilians.
              --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
              Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
              vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
                Jelsoft doesn't harm the civilians.
                riiight...

That's not including cream pies, is it?
                :)

Comment

Originally posted by John
                  With the DMCA the ISP is required to shut down the site if the user is shown to be running illegal software or distributing software illegally.
                  DMCA... ugh... dont even get me started. I work for a webhost and we get more emails from Universal Studios than their new director.

They want us to shut down sites with links to sites that might have links to sites that are linked to sites that might, just might, have illegal content on them. They have been after us not only on our end, but on the end of AboveNet that provides our upstream and downstream bandwidth. Normally I wouldn't mind so much, and we comply fully and immediately, but there is no need for the action that they take most of the time. Using DMCA against anybody is just a low blow.

Comment

Originally posted by NetherChris
                    DMCA... ugh... dont even get me started. I work for a webhost and we get more emails from Universal Studios than their new director.

They want us to shut down sites with links to sites that might have links to sites that are linked to sites that might, just might, have illegal content on them. They have been after us not only on our end, but on the end of AboveNet that provides our upstream and downstream bandwidth. Normally I wouldn't mind so much, and we comply fully and immediately, but there is no need for the action that they take most of the time. Using DMCA against anybody is just a low blow.
                    We only use it when the infringing material is actually on the host's servers. We don't use it on links to links to links, otherwise google would have been done a long time ago
                    John Percival

Comment

One example lately was an email we got from Universal (don't want to post it for fear) saying that we had a FTP site going that had illegal material... this was impossible because 1. we don't give out anon FTP 2. we'd catch the bandwidth and 3. well, we'd have noticed since we're a small company.. turned out they had called us on a site that was spoofing gigantic text files instead of the actual illegal programs. Didn't even take the time to verify it either... of course though, I know Jelsoft would never do such a thing..

Comment

Yeah, I don't agree with the way some people have used the DMCA, but for us 'small' software developers, it is an absolute God-send.
                        John Percival

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X