Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do we have to wait for our domains to work?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do we have to wait for our domains to work?

I know we have to wait lol, 24 to 72 hours, but what's the reason behind this?

It has to propogate to all the name servers. And my ISP's DNS server tends to be the last one to get everything
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

How long and how do they propagate the dns settings?

Comment

I registered a new domain name. The WHOIS database got the changes in one day. My ISP took four.
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

I registered a domain name exactly 24 hours ago and the WHOIS info is already there, as for my ISP, in the past it's only taken a day or two, hopefully it's the same this time

Comment

ISP's have their own DNS servers, so they go out and get the DNS information so that it can point to your site.

You know when you set up your internet connection it asks for DNS servers? These are the servers that have to refresh your information. So when you call up "www.yahoo.com", you go to the DNS server asking for yahoo.com which gives the IP address. It takes a few hours for every DNS server in the world to refresh your info (therefore some people may have access to your site now, while you do not).

A useful tool for checking which DNS servers have been refreshed recently and what information they display on your DNS settings is "dig".

I don't think there's a Windows version for that though

Comment

Re: Why do we have to wait for our domains to work?

Originally posted by N9ne
              I know we have to wait lol, 24 to 72 hours, but what's the reason behind this?
              Imagine if this wasn't necessary. Every time someone registered a domain (say, 10000 times a day), all the servers on the internet would update their records. That's about 7 times a minute. The various name servers around the internet would be so busy doing this that they wouldn't be able to serve as many lookup requests. Things would slow down, and users would have to wait longer to get IP addreses. Eventually, the demand of users clicking 'refresh' and the long waits would crash the servers, then the internet would crash

The way it works now, the updates only happen once every day or two and not all at the same time. That way, while one server is busy updating all the others are available to take requests. Updates happen more slowly, but because there are less updates than requests on the net, most people are happy

Comment

I see, wouldn't want the internet to crash but maybe throwing in an extra buck while registering means it gets setup faster, [hey, why not, the world is changing, why can't the internet ]

Comment

Originally posted by N9ne
                  I see, wouldn't want the internet to crash but maybe throwing in an extra buck while registering means it gets setup faster, [hey, why not, the world is changing, why can't the internet ]
                  It has nothing to do with your registrar or registration, it's all in the hands of the DNS servers around the world and how fast/often they refresh.

Comment

Posted by JamesUS:

The way it works now, the updates only happen once every day or two and not all at the same time. That way, while one server is busy updating all the others are available to take requests. Updates happen more slowly, but because there are less updates than requests on the net, most people are happy
                    um...DNS servers haven't been using master lists for some time now. They query on any non-cached DNS request.

registrars update twice a day to the root servers. in turn from there ISP's also get the information whenever a client asks for it.
                    however, DNS is also stored in cache on the servers, which have a set TTL. until that expires, your query will be given cached information until the server resets itself.

Comment

I think the VO online manual explained it best

http://www.venturesonline.com/docs/#propagation
                      OPEN TECH SUPPORT
                      "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

Originally posted by heretic
                        um...DNS servers haven't <snip>
                        Actually typing out the snobby "um" doesn't make your point any more valid.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul J
                          Actually typing out the snobby "um" doesn't make your point any more valid.
                          And your pointing it out doesn't contribute to the discussion
                          My open eyes see everything, and you see nothing. . .
                          That forum

Comment

Just calling it like I see it.

And how does your comment contribute anything? Hypocrite?

Comment

Originally posted by Tolitz
                              I think the VO online manual explained it best

http://www.venturesonline.com/docs/#propagation
                              Especially with that typo, huh?
                              Remember what we talked about earlier in this chapter regarding the shear size and scope of the worlds DNS system?
                              :)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X