Another vBulletin/UBB clone ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another vBulletin/UBB clone ...

Just found http://www.halfstrike.com/probb/forum/index.php . Still in beta. Looks like another linear view vB/UBB clone.

How many clones are there now ... DCForum, Deluxeportal, FUDforum, Gossamer Threads, HABB, IdealBB, iKonboard, InfinityBoard, Invision Board, JiveForums, KeyBulletin, Lokwa, phpBB, POP Forums, Powerboards, ProBB, Smart Bulletin Board, Snitz, ThWboard, Tritanium Forum, Ultimate PHP Board, VersatileBulletinBoard, Web Crossing, Web Wiz, Xboard, XMB, YaBB, zeroforum, and Zorum.

Better get busy with the "convert [program] database to vBulletin" scripts!
    Cyburbia Forums - a third place for urban planners
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums

I really wouldn't consider those vBulletin Clones. They are just other bulletin boards. They do not look like vB nor do they contain any of vB's coding. Just my opinion...

Comment

That's like saying every car in existence is a clone of the Ford Model T ...
      OPEN TECH SUPPORT
      "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

Damn it, Tolitz, you ripped my forum design! My forum has buttons and your forum has buttons!
        http://www.arsegaming.com/dice/index.php/stuff.jpg

Comment

Re: Another vBulletin/UBB clone ...

Originally posted by cyburbia
          Better get busy with the "convert [program] database to vBulletin" scripts!
          Nonetheless, I think cyburbia has a good comment about creating conversion programs for all the boards out there. The easier it is to convert some other database to vB, the more attractive vB is to potential new customers. Don't you think so?

Comment

People feel less confident in a product which is new and untested. The real forum runners will (or should) always go for vBulletin over other boards because it is tried and tested by millions of users. Nothing is wrong with these other free products, but many web masters migrate because they realise their current forums cannot handle the load and crumble over time. You (don't) pay your money, you take your chances.

I would even go as far to say that vB has become the defacto standard for discussion software.
            HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
            -
            Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

Re: Re: Another vBulletin/UBB clone ...

Originally posted by mishkan

Nonetheless, I think cyburbia has a good comment about creating conversion programs for all the boards out there. The easier it is to convert some other database to vB, the more attractive vB is to potential new customers. Don't you think so?

Import scripts are my job...since I started a couple of months ago I have expanded our line of import scripts significantly. We now offer (or are about to offer) 13 scripts. Currently I'm working on improving the general import system for vB 3; once that's ready I'm going to post a poll to see what the most in-demand scripts are then get working on them. I just don't have the time to do one for all of the boards out there, but I think we're making good progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Martz
                People feel less confident in a product which is new and untested. The real forum runners will (or should) always go for vBulletin over other boards because it is tried and tested by millions of users. Nothing is wrong with these other free products, but many web masters migrate because they realise their current forums cannot handle the load and crumble over time. You (don't) pay your money, you take your chances.

I would even go as far to say that vB has become the defacto standard for discussion software.
                I agree. However remember that UBB has been around for a lot longer than us...some people still trust it more. In my opinion the two boards that fit into the above description are vB and UBB (and by UBB I mean both UBB.Classic and UBB.Threads).

Comment

Re: Another vBulletin/UBB clone ...

Originally posted by cyburbia
                  ... DCForum, Deluxeportal, FUDforum, Gossamer Threads, HABB, IdealBB, iKonboard, InfinityBoard, Invision Board, JiveForums, KeyBulletin, Lokwa, phpBB, POP Forums, Powerboards, ProBB, Smart Bulletin Board, Snitz, ThWboard, Tritanium Forum, Ultimate PHP Board, VersatileBulletinBoard, Web Crossing, Web Wiz, Xboard, XMB, YaBB, zeroforum, and Zorum.
                  HOLY COW!!
                  You're my Prince of Peace
                  And I will live my life for You

Comment

I can't say that all the aforementioned boards are clones ... but the format of topic and message display, features, and so on are very similar to the vB/UBB style.

Other vB-like boards I've found include edgeBoard, He Bulletin Board, and MercuryBoard.

There are other "flat" boards out there, like Discus, but I didn't include it in the list. Older versions of Discus didn't resemble the vB/UBB format, but 4.0 looks more familiar -- not quite like vB/UBB/iKonboard/phpBB/YaBB/Invisionetc, but it doesn't seem that "alien."

I didn't include the "threaded" boards, like the venerable WWWBoard.
                    Cyburbia Forums - a third place for urban planners
                    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums

Comment

Keep in mind, too, that there really aren't that many ways to have a web-based bulletin board. I can think of about three possible formats, the vB/UBB.classic format being the easiest to use. So unless someone totally revolutionizes the way message boards are done, you're going to have a lot of overlap in features and looks.
                      iComix :: web comics

Report Post | IP: Logged

Comment

it is probably impossible because everyone has a vb on their own servers, but what is needed are "global accounts" so that users don't have to reregister at each and every board. users find this to be a great pain in the ass.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by seangworld
                          it is probably impossible because everyone has a vb on their own servers, but what is needed are "global accounts" so that users don't have to reregister at each and every board. users find this to be a great pain in the ass.
                          We have thought about that actually.

Comment

Originally posted by seangworld

Not sure I like this idea. I mean, in theory, it's a good idea, but nonetheless, if you are subscribed to one forum, then you're subscribed to them all. Either that or you have a checkbox next to the ones you wish to be a member of, or something like that. That might be ok, but if you're a member of every forum, like a 'global account' (in which I believe that EzBoard has something similar) than that's almost like an invasion of privacy, that allows other admins/possible mods to have access to email addresses and stuff and then start spamming.

Someone correct me if this is not right.

Radon3k.

Comment

I think ezBoard has this feature. I can see how it would be beneficial to some but I don't think I'd like it. I don't really want people that hop from board to board. I want people who are interested enough to take the time and effort to register. Plus it seems like it would require a lot more work in monitoring the forums, banning users, etc. Not quite sure how user names work but if no one could have a duplicate that would use up a lot of good ones.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X