• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life sentence for hackers

http://www.msnbc.com/news/780923.asp?0dm=C14LT#BODY
    Well, there it is.
    - Keeper of the Grove

It's no surprise, like most goverments they are being left behind in the world of technology and have no clue how to combat things they cannot see, let alone understand. Life imprisonment is very harsh imho.

Education is the answer, not increasing the sentance. Thats not going to stop anyone.
    HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
    -
    Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

i think thats very stupid, life is way to harsh for something like that.....if you hack a site you might as well go out and kill someone while your at it

Comment

"a 385-3 vote" - impressing... not!
        www.MCSEboard.de
        German Windows Server & IT Pro Community dedicated to Windows Client & Server Systems. MVPs inside

Comment

I can only assume that you people who are decrying this bill haven't actually read it.

Here are the sentencing changes:
          `(5)(A) if the offender knowingly or recklessly causes or attempts to cause serious bodily injury from conduct in violation of subsection (a)(5)(A)(i), a fine under this title or imprisonment for not more than 20 years, or both; and

`(B) if the offender knowingly or recklessly causes or attempts to cause death from conduct in violation of subsection (a)(5)(A)(i), a fine under this title or imprisonment for any term of years or for life, or both.'.
          In English, all this is saying is that if you murder someone either intentionally or recklessly by actions you take on the internet, it will be treated with the same level of penalty -- life in prison -- as in every other arena of life. Please tell me what is so unreasonable or ignorant about that.
          iComix :: web comics

Report Post | IP: Logged

Comment

I can only assume that you people who are decrying this bill haven't actually read it.

Here are the sentencing changes:
            `(5)(A) if the offender knowingly or recklessly causes or attempts to cause serious bodily injury from conduct in violation of subsection (a)(5)(A)(i), a fine under this title or imprisonment for not more than 20 years, or both; and

`(B) if the offender knowingly or recklessly causes or attempts to cause death from conduct in violation of subsection (a)(5)(A)(i), a fine under this title or imprisonment for any term of years or for life, or both.'.
            Give me a break, people. All this is saying is that if you murder someone either intentionally or recklessly by actions you take on the internet, it will be treated with the same level of penalty -- life in prison -- as in every other arena of life. Please tell me what is so unreasonable or ignorant about that.

Comment

Here are the sentencing changes:In English, all this is saying is that if you murder someone either intentionally or recklessly by actions you take on the internet, it will be treated with the same level of penalty -- life in prison -- as in every other arena of life. Please tell me what is so unreasonable or ignorant about that.
              Law is never seen as black and white though, lawyers have a nasty habbit of being able to manipulate words and there have been many many crazy miscarridges of justice when it comes to misinterpritation.

Consider some script kiddie Hacking into a hospital and placing an XDCC bot on the network. He lets people leech it dry and cause network congestion. In a very bizzare case this could be considered attempted murder under the law above as people could die due to the service being effected by the kid, doctors may not be able to access records etc. The law isn't a problem, is the presedence A judge sets after it for all the other people. There must be 1000's of hacking attempts everyday on some sort of network. Where do you draw the line as to what is attempted and premeditated murder, using a keyboard? What do you consider a life-critical network? And in what perspective?

This is an extreme I know, the current law in the US doesn't need to be changed as murder is still possible at the push of a button - it just protects the US goverments further ignorance and paranoia about its own computerised milatary systems being used on themselves.

Just playing devils advocate, I do agree with the basic principle - you murder someone in whatever way, you are punished for it duely.
              -

Comment

Originally posted by Martz
                Where do you draw the line as to what is attempted and premeditated murder, using a keyboard?
                If the actions you take result in the death of someone else, even if you didn't mean to do it, that's called negligent homicide. It's also called manslaughter. Life in prison can still be handed down for unintentional murder, if the person acted in a wholly negligent or reckless manner.

Kids aren't going to be locked up for life for installing bots on hospital systems. Four of the seven considerations put forth in this bill directly address the intent of the hacker to do harm or to prosper from his actions. Another consideration addresses the extent of the loss or damages resulting from the actions, and another addresses the level of sophistication used. A hapless kid is never going to accidentally meet the criteria for stiff sentencing, even if his actions resulted in another's death.

Comment

Originally posted by Martz
                  Consider some script kiddie Hacking into a hospital and placing an XDCC bot on the network. He lets people leech it dry and cause network congestion. In a very bizzare case this could be considered attempted murder under the law above as people could die due to the service being effected by the kid, doctors may not be able to access records etc.

uuuh..... if someone died due to this kid hacking into the hospital system I think people will agree that that IS murder... so your 'Devil's Advocate' thing is not exactly working here...
                  Webmaster
                  http://www.AutomotiveForums.com

Comment

Either way, I see this law as pointless - surely the current law must cover murder/attempted murder regardless of the tools or methods used. Just makes the maximum sentance for a hacker even heavier.

And since there are a great proportion of judges, lawyers etc who probably do not know a great deal about technology, it is open to abuse. Thats all I am saying.
                    -

Comment

life sentences for denial of service attacks ?
                      **** that I'm glad im no american

Comment

Are you implying you perform DDoS attacks?

Comment

uhn you ****ing idiot im not implying anything.
                          All I'm saying is that a DOS attack is very different from actual hacking.

DOS is how IRCNet's channel hierachies were formed

Comment

Originally posted by plenderj
                            uhn you ****ing idiot im not implying anything.
                            All I'm saying is that a DOS attack is very different from actual hacking.

DOS is how IRCNet's channel hierachies were formed
                            I'm not even going to dignify that with a response. grow up.

Comment

pardon ?
                              grow up ?

what ?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X