Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• //Portable Laptop Computer Questions//

Hello vB Peoples.

I was thinking of purchasing a new laptop/notebook machine.
    I had an old one years ago, but haven't had once since. It wasn't a great machine even for it's day so.....

I need a machine that I can access the web from during travel of course and wondered what's being used these days for this?

If you were going to purchase a new laptop for accessing your web site business, what would you look for and what would you purchase?

Brands? State of the art technology? How are we going to connect to the internet?

Thanks Peoples.

hmm... apple iBook or sony vaio.

Comment

yum.. iBook.

got to play with my dad's TiBook this last weekend, it was quite fun. he brought home the "big brother" iBook a couple days ago too, very nice.
      www.warboards.org

Comment

Right now, I'm using a Fujitsu Laptop... I think it's great

Comment

I'm also using a Fujitsu notebook -- the Fujitsu Lifebook.

It's a PIII, over 1GHz, with DVD/CD-RW and lots and lots of memory and HDD.

It's very powerful, but it's slightly on the heavy side, not too good if you have to lug it around without a case all day.

It's got FireWire (Windonians call ie IEE1394.), and it also has one of those 'dash displays', where there's an LCD screen with buttons and stuff on the front.

It's got okay battery usage and a wonderful LCD screen, viewable from many angles.

When purchasing this, we looked mostly at price and functionality. We wanted a powerful notebook that was relatively cheap.

So we got this, at just under $1000 (w/ BestBuy Mail-in Rebate.), it was a very good deal.
          Last edited by DirectPixel; Wed 26th Jun '02, 4:54pm.
          :)

Comment

Ti-Book = 0wnage
            iBook = suckage because no PCMCIA slot and horrible trackpad and no stereo in (hello, voiceovers in iMovie with a decent mic?)
            Dell = 0wnage but expensive

I've heard really bad stuff about Fujitsu a few years ago but of course they could have changed. Tosh's stuff looks cool too.
            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
              iBook = suckage because no PCMCIA slot and horrible trackpad and no stereo in (hello, voiceovers in iMovie with a decent mic?)
              i don't see why i would ever need a PCMCIA slot for my iBook. i already have wireless, usb, firewire, ethernet, and modem.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakeman
                i don't see why i would ever need a PCMCIA slot for my iBook. i already have wireless, usb, firewire, ethernet, and modem.
                You never know...USB2, Bluetooth, etc.

Comment

bluetooth goes through a USB adapter. USB2 isn't mainstream yet, and firewire is more popular for high speed peripherals (more so on macs than on pcs cos windows has crap firewire support).

Comment

I CHALLENGE YOU TO A DUEL!

Comment

I have a Sony Vaio and would totally recommend it

Jake...what about ISDN? That's what I used to use my PCMCIA slot for Right now it's occupied by a D-Link Wireless LAN card.

Comment

ISDN - It Still Does Nothing no one uses ISDN

wireless LAN? i've got airport (wireless 802.11) built in to my iBook. antenas run throughout the whole frame, nothing external.

Comment

My entire website is authored on a Sony Vaio (800mHz). I use it with Dreamweaver to update either through the LAN at work or by modem from home. I have a Bluetooth PMCIA card modem that I use with an Ericsson T39M Bluetooth enabled phone via GPNS to update from places where I have no landline.

The Sony has Firewire and a pretty big hard drive (18Gb divided into two drives). I keep the smaller partition for sucking in and editing video and audio, which I clear out when I've finished.

When we bought it, it was the only PC portable with Firewire. If I were looking now, there are plenty of options but the latest Vaio looks pretty good, as does the top range ACER and Dell.

Comment

if i need bluetooth... http://www.apple.com/bluetooth/

Comment

Yeah, my wife has the latest G4 desktop with all the bells and whistles. Our IT department doesn't allow Apples (don't understand them).

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X