Proxies? Masking IP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proxies? Masking IP?

Well I think I want to mask my IP, I am getting a little paranoid, and with my DSL connection, I have heard that it is best if I set up a proxy server. Some people like to set up IP logers on thier sites, not forums, but others.

Anyone have any idea, or am I am too paranoid about hacking?

Honestly, so many people already have your IP that it would probably not do any good, unless your PC has just changed IP's. I surf with everything wide open and have done so for 4 years, never even gotten a virus or gotten hacked into. In my opinion, nothing to worry about.
    - Andrew Pfeifer

Comment

I just use ZoneAlarm.

As to surfing with proxies...let's just say that unless you're hacking websites and want to mask your identity, you normally wouldn't need to bother with them.
      :)

Comment

There is freeware available that routes your connection through several proxy servers, if you search for anyomous proxy server.

www.megaproxy.com is one proxy server available web accessible.

First of all, you should have no real reason to do this. 99% of hackers who aren't targeting anyone in general can just scan thousands of ips at one time and find vunerable systems to play with. The only reason some one would log your ip is if they are targeting you, and the only reason he would know that ips yours is if you entered a forum site or something with a username. If the person can hack into a updated windows XP system, especially running a firewall - then a proxy server isn't going to do you justice.

Your being to paranoid.... Oh one more thing, you'll lose a lot of speed using proxy servers, as all the data you request has to share the connection of the proxy server.
        Jimmy

Comment

really all one needs to do is post something or have a page up that would link back to their server, andcan log IP's based on the GET for the image...

Comment

Re: Proxies? Masking IP?

Originally posted by TheComputerGuy
            Well I think I want to mask my IP, I am getting a little paranoid, and with my DSL connection, I have heard that it is best if I set up a proxy server. Some people like to set up IP logers on thier sites, not forums, but others.

setup a pc proxy or get a hardware router

i have a smc barricade 7004abr router connecting 4 pcs to ADSL and my real ip is hidden
            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Re: Re: Proxies? Masking IP?

Originally posted by eva2000
              setup a pc proxy or get a hardware router

i have a smc barricade 7004abr router connecting 4 pcs to ADSL and my real ip is hidden
              You mean your local IP is hidden, your ip address of your router is still public. Router using NAT does help protect you a lot from hackers, but doesn't keep your browsing anyomous.
              Jimmy

Comment

Firewall [zonealarm]

I believe that alot of firewalls that i tested were crap, for example zonelarm undetected quite a few things indeed, mcafee and kaspesky i would recommend as you have more information on the actual port traffic in realtime that are also logged by choice, also the hack attempts are always noted and there is always a trace to the ip automatically. As far as proxies go it seems very rare to get a good one these days for example its taken me 2 days to find a good proxy that actually works and i still haven't found one, i used to use mexican ones and they were fantastic but sisnce the server is down im in a pickle to get a good one, can anyone help? proxies are worth having stay secure would ya leave your front door open? same principle!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheComputerGuy

Why go through all the trouble?

I just follow Occam's Razor and get Anonymizer instead (which isn't a rogue proxy, too).

Some folks like to post on political forums but don't need the headaches of having a kook coming over for dinner, and A's a very good (and easy) solution <-- no nightmares of chaining proxies [the only secure way]. Their total protection series even keeps syn floods and network sniffers out in the cold. You get to goto where you're want, without the junk coming back at you (which is an occupational hazard at some forums/sites where you WILL need total protection from -- Hannity's site got royally hacked for a week, and even with locking down the computer, I wake up with my computer trying to close down on it's own -- with a heck of a lot of event errors in the log, and ZAP being the only barrier [with it's popup asking if it's okay to shut it's engine down] of a hijacking. Few topics attract more fundies with money and motivation to destroy than political sites, and those attacks are indeed fierce).

Most of the time (99%) you don't have to worry, but if you like controversal topics/forums, you have to harden your system down -- even to the point of proxies.

Chris
                  "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
                  is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
                  ~~~
                  Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

I use a nat firewall and firefox... the rest is jsut safe surfing habits.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X