money making - charging to have a forum on your forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back on topic, good idea...

The only problem I would see with this is the nav, wouldn't your forum still show up as the top forum? Or is there a way to fix this? Well, not really 'fix', but you get the point.
    - Andrew Pfeifer

Comment

Cobranding? Shouldn't that work?
      :)

Comment

Ok, I feel dumb now. *does a search on cobranding*

Edit: Ahh, so just creating a new template set for each one?
        Last edited by andrewpfeifer; Sun 9 Jun '02, 8:32am.
        - Andrew Pfeifer

Comment

I think that's how it works...not 100% sure, but probably, that's it.
          :)

Comment

I have two co-branded (i.e., sponsored) forums each utilizing their own style set and banners:

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/foru...?s=&forumid=28

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/foru...?s=&forumid=29
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hi Steve,

may I ask how you approached your sponsors?
              We have evaluated a number of sponsors, who might be interested in banners on our forums. Now we are thinking what would be the best way to get in touch with them...

thx,
              -Tom
              www.MCSEboard.de
              German Windows Server & IT Pro Community dedicated to Windows Client & Server Systems. MVPs inside

Comment

Believe it or not, they approached me. One has been a sponsor for OptiBoard for 3-1/2 years. The other just started sponsoring the Board last February. I've also had a number of other inquiries about sponsorship opportunities.

I don't know how applicable my situation is to anyone else. I started OptiBoard in 1995 running Matt Wright's WWWBoard script. Since then it has grown into the largest and most influential community bulletin board in the world for eyecare professionals. I really don't have any meaningful competition which is probably why sponsors contact me.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Then you are very lucky, congrats.
                  Best way for us -I think- is to send a letter to several companies after calling them if they're interested in general.
                  Anyway, thanks.
                  -Tom

P.S.: Sorry, jake, didn't meant to take over the thread...
                  www.MCSEboard.de
                  German Windows Server & IT Pro Community dedicated to Windows Client & Server Systems. MVPs inside

Comment

Lucky - yes, but I ran my forum for almost 4 years before I got a sponsor. It took patience and hard work as well. Not many people are willing to show that much patience these days.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

When I get my forums...

When I get my forums online, I was thinking about getting banners on my main site...

Would it be worth it for the money?

Satan

Comment

Well, it's been about 4 months since the last post, and I thought I'd bring this interesting thread back up. Jake, have you tried out your idea? Anyone else hear of this working? It really seems like a great idea with lots of potential.

Comment

We have a couple of branded sub-boards/forums whatever you wish to call them. To be honest it was a pain to do it with VBs templates and styles system. Also there is the problem of people wanting to use both the sub board and your main board, and getting the styles of one on the other when they go between them.

www.gurn.net/forums
                          www.gurn.net/forums/goodgreef
                          www.gurn.net/forums/viciouscircle

It depends how much your clients want their board customised. We originaly set up some custom styles for our clients, but then aspects of our main forums showed up. Eg searching works across all your forums and things like that. We ended up making custom templates for each client so they could have their own headers etc but it is by no means a perfect setup!

Comment

Wow, Meirion! I just visited all three sites, and each looks completely different from the next. I'm totally impressed by the work that must have gone into this. May I ask you, for all the work that you have done, and continue to do... how much do you charge your customers for their forums?

Also, have you... or anyone else... rented forum space without doing much customizing? How much would you charge in that case?

Comment

I noticed a site a couple of months ago that does exactly what i'd like to do with mine. Is was http://www.motorsportforums.com - Unfortunately their partner page seems to be down. When I first went there, I saw a list of over 50-100 different sites that used different styles with the same database. So sites could look like they had their own forum with 500,000+ posts. However, the thing that really struck me is the fact that all the domains not only had their own styles on the board, but everything was customized. The register form used their custom styles, searching used their custom forms. There was really no easy way to tell that they partnered with motorsportforums.com, besides the URL (which was "http://yoursite.motorsportforums.com"). The partners page was at http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/partner.php , but like I said, it's down now.

Adam
                              -
                              Visit the Web Scripts Directory @ http://www.scriptz.com
                              -
                              PHP, CGI, Perl, ASP, JavaScript, CFML, Python and more!

-

Comment

Adam, thanks for that link. They apparently have many customers! Their FAQ link, on that page, isn't working, though... so I couldn't find out what they charge. I'll check it again, later. If they don't charge very much, then I don't think I could be profitable providing forum space, because my skills are not nearly sufficient to make each forum look so unique. I would just be providing forums that look like all the other forums on my board.

Steve and Meirion,

May I ask, how does your registration process work? I mean, when people register on your board, they're actually just registering to view and post in the particular forums that their group uses. So, how do you manage the registration process to accomplish that? I hope my question is clear enough, as this issue is a little confusing to me! Thanks.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X