money making - charging to have a forum on your forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• money making - charging to have a forum on your forums

i think this was mentioned a while back... i was just thinking about it again. it seems like a good way to make money would be to charge monthly for companies or other entities to have a forum / forums on your forums.

example, my forums are mac related. a mac retailer in my area has a web site but no forums. i could create a collapsed category on my forums that contained forums for this retailer for a monthly fee. the retailer could use their forums to promote their business and support their customers while at the same time driving more mac people to my site and offsetting costs.

has anyone done something like this?

Personnally I believe this to be a bad idea generally because at the moment vbulletin is so cheap. I don't think there are many people out there that want to pay someone for a few forums on someone elses site in a hidden/collapsed category.

My 2 pence.
    Email: [email protected]
    Site: Under Construction

Comment

very hard to make it work if you policies for your forum differ from what your paying forum client's
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Well, I think it has potential.

I am currently working for a client who is going to have this sort of thing worked out, except it's with churches, and each church can have their own subboard and stuff.
        :)

Comment

Originally posted by Kaizen
          Personnally I believe this to be a bad idea generally because at the moment vbulletin is so cheap. I don't think there are many people out there that want to pay someone for a few forums on someone elses site in a hidden/collapsed category.

My 2 pence.
          Except for the fact that running a forum costs more than just $160. The hosting and running costs, combined with someone's time for maintaining and setting up the forum and server come to a lot more than a small monthly fee for companies (and to a lesser extent individuals) to have their own forum hosted under a seperate forum on a similar topic.

I agree that it has a lot of potential - and if it is done carefully you could be on to a winner

Comment

If you take co-branding so far and offer a means for people to administer their own forums is very do-able, imho
            HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
            -
            Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

How would you regulate bandwidth? You would definitely need a dedicated server which is going to cost you $100 or more per month.
              http://www.ironmagazine.com - blog
              http://www.ironmagazineforums.com - forums
              http://www.ironmaglabs.com - supplements

Comment

Originally posted by Prince
                How would you regulate bandwidth? You would definitely need a dedicated server which is going to cost you $100 or more per month.
                Unless a subboard is going to be very big, the bandwidth can probably be included in their monthly bill.
                :)

Comment

Originally posted by eiSecure
                  Unless a subboard is going to be very big, the bandwidth can probably be included in their monthly bill.
                  okay, but I still think to do it right you need to start with a dedicated server, just for sql connections alone this will be necessary.
                  http://www.ironmagazine.com - blog
                  http://www.ironmagazineforums.com - forums
                  http://www.ironmaglabs.com - supplements

Comment

Originally posted by JamesUS

Except for the fact that running a forum costs more than just $160....
                    that's what i was going to say. many people don't have the knowledge and experience with vBulletin that i do. that's part of the deal, i would be maintaining forums.

Originally posted by Prince
                    bandwidth could be approximated based on the ammount of posts in their forums. yes, a dedicated server would be ideal to start something like this.

Originally posted by Kaizen
                    I don't think there are many people out there that want to pay someone for a few forums on someone elses site in a hidden/collapsed category.
                    a subdomain could be set to redirect to the root of their forums. retailer.macsubculture.com or something.

Comment

I talked to someone here or at vb.org a while back, and they PMed me some info with alot of useful tips of how they got started into, but I cant find the PM, and shoot this guy is making close to $3300 a month, he has his own payment system that integrates into vb and everything

Comment

i dont like the idea of sub-boards because of this -

people will be signing up for my forum just for someone elses, they may or may not use my forum, and waste my space

but on the good side, they might get intrested in the forum, and the forum would be more active, even if only in a certin area, and others would want to sign up
                        Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

Instead of doing that why not call them up and ask them to sponsor your site?
                          Well, there it is.
                          - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

Originally posted by IDN
                            people will be signing up for my forum just for someone elses, they may or may not use my forum, and waste my space
                            their forum is your forum. you are simply expanding your content.

Originally posted by Skeptical
                            Instead of doing that why not call them up and ask them to sponsor your site?
                            that never works. and if they do sponsor you that means you have to put up banners for them and stuff. banners suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakeman
                              that never works. and if they do sponsor you that means you have to put up banners for them and stuff. banners suck.
                              I make quite a bit of money from my sponsors. Obviously I never realized 'that never works'. Should I give the money back?
                              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X