X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by gabbs
    Yup top heavy I mean loads of stuff which i just dont need for the project I'm working on, profiles, user control panel, moderators, private messages, stats etc.. all not needed in what I want to do, just a very simple threaded discussion where you can post new messages and reply and thats it.

But anyway thanks for all that I'll take a look
    Phorum might be just your thing then. www.phorum.org.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    oh no not letting it go vbulletin is reallllllllyyy good... just not right for this situation, hense why I asked if anyone knew of a really cut down threaded discussion board. I have vbulletin installed on a clients site with 1000s of messages being posted on it each day, got another 3 role outs planned in the next couple of months...
    Cool!

Leave a comment:

• gabbs
    replied
    oh no not letting it go vbulletin is reallllllllyyy good... just not right for this situation, hense why I asked if anyone knew of a really cut down threaded discussion board. I have vbulletin installed on a clients site with 1000s of messages being posted on it each day, got another 3 role outs planned in the next couple of months...

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Then this was a pre-sales question
    And sorry to hear that you let this go, enjoy writing your own.

Leave a comment:

• gabbs
    replied
    but its not just clicking disable and Eg Front page needs to just show X many folders on single lines and no other information at all.. around... because it needs to be sooo simple almost to the point of www.asp101.com/forum/ so vbulletin is overkill.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    oh yes but whats the point in buying a vbulletin if you end up disabiling everything, also getting it integrated into a current system, not worth it, your better off writing your own, i'm just lazy and dont want to spend the couple of days coding it up
    There is a big point in it.
    Because, beside disabling some features, you still keep the bulk, which is the actual categories and boards and threads and their replies. The rest are just features. You can't beat the core of the forum, even if you write your own. There just isn't any better

You are lazy, and don't want to spend days coding?
    Ah, ofcourse, writing your own is much easier and quicker. Ofcourse.

[click, disabled]:done

Leave a comment:

• gabbs
    replied
    oh yes but whats the point in buying a vbulletin if you end up disabiling everything, also getting it integrated into a current system, not worth it, your better off writing your own, i'm just lazy and dont want to spend the couple of days coding it up

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Even though vBulletin has all those options, it also has the option to turn those options off!
    And with vBulletin 3.x around the corner, you can expect threaded view in different ways (I assume) and you can turn even more options on and off.

You can globally turn almost all the stuff off which you describe as obsolete to you.
    The database won't be bigger or smaller with that turned off or on, and the vBulletin files are really small together, first installation is around 250/500 kB on your web server.

profiles > you can remove the profile button from the postbit template and you can disable the use for memberlist.
    user control panel > You can remove fields through the template system, so it is very lite and simple to use - not sure if it can be turned on/off >> Feature suggestion
    moderators > This is just a usergroup, don't add users to it, and you won't use it - You can even delete the usergroup
    private messages > Can globally turned off
    stats > vBulletin 2.x doesn't come with stats

This is why such a flexible bulletin board like vBulletin is handy.
    You can turn on/off the smiley's and vB code [tags] in the reply post stuff, and you can edit like almost everything.

Doing such is very easy, especially when you take some time to understand how it is build up. And otherwise, you have lifetime support on the latest version of vBulletin, so everybody here is willing to help!

Leave a comment:

• gabbs
    replied
    Yup top heavy I mean loads of stuff which i just dont need for the project I'm working on, profiles, user control panel, moderators, private messages, stats etc.. all not needed in what I want to do, just a very simple threaded discussion where you can post new messages and reply and thats it.

But anyway thanks for all that I'll take a look

Leave a comment:

• Martin CX
    replied
    You could check out WebBBS as well. I believe they've just moved to version 5. It's shareware.

Leave a comment:

• Broncos
    replied
    Phorum is pretty generic and something you might be interested in. Free also ... www.phorum.org

If you are looking at UBB Threads then wait for vBulletin 3. I have a license to both and would highly recommend vB over UBBThreads.

Leave a comment:

• Martz
    replied
    I understand Top Heavy to be overkill, more than required, so maybe in this case vB3 would be a bit excessive if you were running a private forum for a few people, say.

On the subject of Threaded View forums, I have always disliked them. But I found myself using one the other day and noticed how a single thread can have lots of conversations going on, yet still allow people to stay on topic and read just the on topic threads if they want. It's pretty cool, and I saw potential for 3D posting, in such a way where threads can offer a greater diversity of conversation. The problem is with standard threaded navigation is that it's usually a bit basic, and not though out great. If you end up reading a part of the thread which has gone offtopic - it's a bit confusing to find the next relevant thread.

I hope vB3 offers a new approach to threaded forum navigation to put it ahead in this area.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    If UBB.Threads was an option, then you'd be better off waiting for vB 3. Personally I think 'top heavy' means 'it costs money!'

Leave a comment:

• Craig Armstrong
    replied
    It's kind of hard to reply to this thread while still following the rules about advertising, but... UBB.threads has threaded view and it's not too "top heavy," if I'm right about what you mean by that, anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    What do you mean by 'top heavy'?

I believe you can still download Matt Wright's WWWBoard script, but it's full of bugs and security holes. Still I used it successfully for five years before moving to UBB then vB.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X