Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vBulletin.org ~ Hack's being posted; most do not get upgraded to latest version of vB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrispadfield

It is really quite simple, if you don't like how hacks are written, released and supported then just go somewhere else and let the people who enjoy exchanging ideas and code get on with it. There must be something better to do with your time than just complain that everyone won't do what you want them to do.
    I love the hacks on vB.org. I have almost everyone downloaded. . Never really had a problem with the fellow code hackers. Except the ones that think they're big, bad, and tuff. Just because they make hacks, does not make them better people or users for that matter. Now do not try to deny there are a few code hackers like that. But, I do agree with you on that Chris.

Comment

Sure there are probably arrogant hack makers, there are arrogant people in every community. Generally it is best to just avoid these sort of people. If, however, you need something they create (which might explain their arrogance, but not justify it) you just have to put up with their arrogance.
      Christopher Padfield
      Web Based Helpdesk
      DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

So..
        .. now that people demand support for free hacks, can we expect people to demand a reply from the author of a technical article if there's something about it they don't understand?

When you search for something on google, will you demand assistance from the people behind google if you don't get any search results?

There most definitely are arrogant hackers, but there's arrogant users as well. Anyone, high as well as low (and no, i'm not saying hackers are "better" than users ), can (and most likely will!) be hit by arrogance sometime.

Just accept it, and be happy that you got the hack for free in the first case.
        My open eyes see everything, and you see nothing. . .
        That forum

Comment

Originally posted by okidoki
          When you search for something on google, will you demand assistance from the people behind google if you don't get any search results?
          https://answers.google.com/answers/main
          Chen Avinadav
          Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

LMFAO! . Someone gave a bad example. .

Comment

That answers thing is pretty durn cool...I shall have to investigate that more

Comment

It's very cool. I have never used it, but looking at others' questions it's very handy and useful. The researchers answer in no time.
                Chen Avinadav
                Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Comment

i fell that vB.org gives good suport, but i also fell that it is still not up to the level i got over at ubbdev, but that will always differ from person to person, im glade the hackers are there, they make alot of our lives easyer, and the ones ive pm;ed have always been very helpful to me, vB.org is still a young community, give it time to smootht eh bumps that come along the way and you will see improvments on whats already a great site.

Comment

support an hack is very long
                    If the hack is very popular it will have 10, 20 people with each one a specific problem, so support would be long and hard (lot of hacks are issue from personnal work and share not a creation only for vb.org)
                    vb.org have great hackers and lot of people for help but i'm pissed off with people who thinks that everything need to be done for their own board

Comment

I agree with N9ne. But let me explain from a different perspective. I do not agree that hack users should demand support, nor should we expect it. I think it is about the attitude of the hackers. To me, is seems that the hackers are not proud of thier work. If they were proud of it, they would update it when a newer version of vB is released. I realize that people don't have time to always update hacks, but I feel that if they don't take the time every once in a while to make sure the hack still works, then they shouldn't create hacks in the first place. On the other hand, if someone does not know what they are doing when installing the hack, they shouldn't feel obligated to help. They should also not feel obligated to add features when people demand them. But if they are proud of thier hack, they should update it, especially when a code change in vB makes it incompatible. And sometimes a simple code change is all it takes to get it working again. Also, the forum rules state that if you are not going to offer support, to state it in the thread. I have yet to see anyone do that! But there are tons of hacks that are not being supported/updated!

Comment

Originally posted by FireFly

https://answers.google.com/answers/main
                        Here's an atrical that I will find VERY useful in the future.

https://answers.google.com/answers/m...dview&id=17605
                        :)

Comment

Just to clear up something here...You don't necessarily need "advanced knowledge" to write a hack. I did one back in the 1x series that I never released to the general hacking community. No, it wasn't an advanced hack, but it modified code. Do yourself a favor, take a look at the code. It's not difficult to do little tweaks. It's pretty easy to understand what does what in the code and modify things to fit your needs.

Comment

I think if a particular hack isn't being updated for a new version, that it be taken off vb.org. That way unsuspecting newcomers don't try to install it and mess up their scripts in the process.

Kinda like Matt Wright's form mail. That thing is filled with security holes, yet people on the net are still offering it everywhere. As a result, many web hosts have to ban that script manually.
                            Well, there it is.
                            - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

Don't scripts at vB.org have a [v2.2.5] thingy before them indicating the version they're designed for?
                              :)

Comment

Originally posted by Skeptical
                                I think if a particular hack isn't being updated for a new version, that it be taken off vb.org. That way unsuspecting newcomers don't try to install it and mess up their scripts in the process.
                                If the user can't see it says "[vBulletin 2.2.3]" in the title and he is running 2.2.5, he shouldn't even start hacking his board.

People may very well still use 2.2.3, so there is no reason whatsoever to remove these old hacks. Not to mention most of them work on new versions. It's just that once a hack does not work, people become loud.
                                Chen Avinadav

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X