Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vBulletin.org ~ Hack's being posted; most do not get upgraded to latest version of vB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If vb.org is going to be run so half assed why even have it?
    http://www.ironmagazine.com - blog
    http://www.ironmagazineforums.com - forums
    http://www.ironmaglabs.com - supplements

Comment

vB.org is supported by vBulletin enthusiasts. Hack writers share their hacks and while they are not obligated to provide support, they generally do -- and very well at that.

No-one pays the hack writers to do what they do. The vB.org community thrives because of the hard work that people have put into it without reward or thanks for their efforts.

It really pisses me off when people take all that they're given for free and then throw it back in their benefactors' faces, complaining that it isn't good enough.
      iComix :: web comics

Report Post | IP: Logged

Comment

Originally posted by Prince
        wow. That's a heck of a thank you to the hackers who document their hacks for you to use without any monitary compensation. I remember several years ago hacking the heck out of UBB and being thankful as heck that the hacks were there. If I couldn't figure out one, I moved on to another one. I never thought to demand support from someone who documented their hack...and if I did ask for help, I did so nicely fully knowing that there was no obligation by the hacker to support me. The bottom line is that if you want full support for hacked code, your best bet is to pay for it. You pay your license fee for the "out of the box" software. The hacks are just icing.

Comment

Remind me to ignore your hack requests.

Comment

I don't know, Prince. Why don't you answer your own question here:

55 posts in the requests and support forums

If vB is so useless to you, don't make us keep you there.
            Last edited by bigmattyh; Wed 22nd May '02, 10:18pm.

Comment

complaints about hack support should be taken up with the individual hack authors... hack support is not the responsibility of jelsoft or the people that help run www.vbulletin.org .

Comment

I guess I am used to the kind of support that was available at ubbdev.com

I do not ask questions any more at vb.org, I install a hack and if I cannot get it to work I uninstall it.
                http://www.ironmagazine.com - blog
                http://www.ironmagazineforums.com - forums
                http://www.ironmaglabs.com - supplements

Comment

The lack of respect from people who use the hacks and the demands they want fulfilled are some of the reasons that I don't release hacks anymore.

The main reason is I simply don't have the time to support them. I can see why hacks are not supported.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                  Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

I guess I am used to the kind of support that was available at ubbdev.com
                    Which was practically nada? I was a former UBB user and I rarely got help from UBBdev. I for one am glad vb.org is around, and EVERY question I've had about a broken hack I was able to get help quickly and the authors/members helped me out nicely. Perhaps its your attitude?..
                    forums: pcfx.cc
                    gallery: here

Comment

Well, from my experince... I think most of the hack writers are becoming to full of themselves and start thinking that they're better than people who do not make hacks. Almost all of the hack writers are getting attitudes towards new members. Also, in one of the announcements, doesn't it state, that if you are not gonig offer support for your hack, put it in the first message of your release? I will have to hunt it down again.

Posted by FireFly
                      You must offer a way to contact you if the installers have questions or problems. If you don't want to provide support for your hack - then you must state in the first post that your hack comes with no support.
                      In my opinion, if they do not have the time to offer support anymore for one of their hacks, they should post that they don't in the thread people are needing help.

Comment

Hackers have much more of a right to be indignant than the whiners have to act like they're entitled to anything.

It's the lack of appreciation that's so insulting. There are far too many leechers out there who think that they deserve support simply because they demand it; that it is incumbent on hackers to hold their hands on every little problem and fix every little problem. It's the givers, giving unselfishly, and the takers, taking unabashedly, without the slightest trace of humility or sliver of gratitude.

Certainly, hackers aren't entitled to thanks. But the sense of entitlement on the part of the vocally ungrateful minority tears down every reason hackers have to create and share their creations with the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Cowen
                          Well, from my experince... I think most of the hack writers are becoming to full of themselves and start thinking that they're better than people who do not make hacks. Almost all of the hack writers are getting attitudes towards new members. Also, in one of the announcements, doesn't it state, that if you are not gonig offer support for your hack, put it in the first message of your release? I will have to hunt it down again.

In my opinion, if they do not have the time to offer support anymore for one of their hacks, they should post that they don't in the thread people are needing help.
                          Getting attitudes towards new members?
                          - No

Getting an attitude towards members who don't seem to appreciate the effort that went into making the hack.
                          - Yes

This doesn't only go for hacks though...
                          I'm working fulltime as a developer. Whenever we finish off a product, there's always someone who'll ***** & whine about stuff that doesn't work properly, and they want it fixed immediately.

The lack of respect that most developers constantly face is insane, and it pisses people off.

Remember that the hacks are released for free, just in case someone else might need something similar.

If it doesn't work, well guess what? You can always ask around with your friends and colleagues to see if there's someone around who knows PHP.

If it works, but not 100% the way you want it to, don't ***** at the author because of it, but rather pick up a manual and modify it to suit your needs.
                          My open eyes see everything, and you see nothing. . .
                          That forum

Comment

Well I would make it myself If I could but I'm pathetic with PHP. All i know is the PHP tag and that's about it. I would try and learn it too, but to make hacks, don't you need some advanced knowledge? Especially the hack that is in question...

I have many exams coming up too and I don't have the time either.

I suppose I could request the hack updated to version 2.2.5 and maybe a hacker could do that...

Comment

Originally posted by N9ne
                              I suppose I could request the hack updated to version 2.2.5 and maybe a hacker could do that...
                              Bingo!
                              Asking around nicely is sure to be received better than demanding.
                              My open eyes see everything, and you see nothing. . .
                              That forum

Comment

Originally posted by N9ne
                                Well I would make it myself If I could but I'm pathetic with PHP. ... I would try and learn it too, but to make hacks, don't you need some advanced knowledge?
                                How do you think the PHP people around here got to learn PHP? Pick up a book, like I did. Study it. Experiment with it. Learn.

I have many exams coming up too and I don't have the time either.
                                Very few of us do this full-time. If you're concerned enough to complain, you can make the time to learn.

And if no-one bites, are you going to complain then, too?

Look, if this sounds a little harsh, you have to understand that complainers are a dime a dozen. I say this with respect and encouragement -- take the high road. Be someone who can do things for himself, not someone who is dependent on the goodwill of others for survival.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X