Is it just me....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just me....

Or are the prices of vB rather high? I have a webpage... and I realize it may cost a bit to keep it at top level.... But the prices of vB are a bit outrageous..... No free services? I don't mind a banner or two...

I was going to purchase a liscense but when i saw the prices I immeadately pressed my back button.... But I decided to come back and post my opinion....
    Yes
    13.04%
    No
    86.96%

Im open to all opinions... Are there any cheaper subscriptions?

Comment

you can buy a 1 year leased license for $85

Comment

if you dont want to pay then leave, at the way things are going next year im going to buy an owned license...

i love VB
        Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

I'm a vB owner nearly from the begin and everytime a find a new feature (yes I still find some ) or talk with friends or users over vB I tell them every $ I spend was worth it.
          Great support you get and a great product!!!
          The Sisko
          SciFi-Forum.de

Comment

$160 + $30/yr for plenty of upgrades and new features isn't bad at all, IMHO.

I'm not sure offhand, but i believe the competition (UBB, UBB*Threads, etc) are all much higher. ($199 + ??/yr upgrades)

Brandon,
            a vB customer for life*

*until they suck more than UBB j/k
            What do you Listen-To? http://www.listen-to.com

i <3 vBulletin.

Comment

vBulletin is a commercial product and you have to pay to get it, when you pay you get all the great features that are present in the board as well as support on the boards and in the members area. You also get free upgrades for a year then its $30/year if you have an owned licence.
              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Re: Is it just me....

Originally posted by Pengi-Ver-2.0
                Or are the prices of vB rather high? I have a webpage... and I realize it may cost a bit to keep it at top level.... But the prices of vB are a bit outrageous..... No free services? I don't mind a banner or two...

I was going to purchase a liscense but when i saw the prices I immeadately pressed my back button.... But I decided to come back and post my opinion....
                Hi Pengi-Ver. I thought the same as you about the price. I started with Ikon board, but heard so many great things about vB I started to look into it.

I figured that sooner or later I would need to switch over to vB so I decided to switch now, when I only have 8 members instead of switching when I have hundreds of members.

If your serious about starting a forum and sticking with it to make it a success I would suggest going with vB. If you just want a small forum and you have no interest in creating a large board and feel that your not in it for the long haul then go with one of the free boards.

But I can tell you this.Vb is the ultimate board out there and the support here is unbeatable.

It’s worth the cost

Cheers

PS: Haven't got the hundreds of members yet but I'm working on that LOL
                PLEASE VISIT US HERE. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Comment

I agree.

When I first saw the prices for vB, I also thought they were pretty steep, but after messing with the free boards, and making hacks and template mods, it was clearly shown that their coding is very unprofessional.

There were n00b-ish bugs in the SQL statements, and many key features were either not present, or very buggy.

I also found that the little support community they had, it was full of 10-year old kids who know nothing about even the most basic computer and HTML knowledge, and are trying to run a "big" forum.

All of this made me want to come to vB. I knew I was going to have to get this at one time or another, so i thought I'll get in and get accustomed to it before v3.

Anyways, the way I paid for vB was by taking web design/graphics design jobs from various people around the web, including a few vB owners.

This got me the money I needed, as well as giving me a chance to learn more about vB. I'm only 15, so I don't have much expenses, so the money I made was pure profit (except for PayPal's money recieving charges...), so within a week, I had enough for over 3 owned copies.

If you work hard enough, you can always attain your goals (unless it's something truely impossible, like trying to get yourself genetically mutated so you can fly and have psychic powers...).:
                  :)

Comment

Originally posted by eiSecure
                    I agree.

When I first saw the prices for vB, I also thought they were pretty steep, but after messing with the free boards, and making hacks and template mods, it was clearly shown that their coding is very unprofessional.

There were n00b-ish bugs in the SQL statements, and many key features were either not present, or very buggy.

I also found that the little support community they had, it was full of 10-year old kids who know nothing about even the most basic computer and HTML knowledge, and are trying to run a "big" forum.

All of this made me want to come to vB. I knew I was going to have to get this at one time or another, so i thought I'll get in and get accustomed to it before v3.

Anyways, the way I paid for vB was by taking web design/graphics design jobs from various people around the web, including a few vB owners.

This got me the money I needed, as well as giving me a chance to learn more about vB. I'm only 15, so I don't have much expenses, so the money I made was pure profit (except for PayPal's money recieving charges...), so within a week, I had enough for over 3 owned copies.

If you work hard enough, you can always attain your goals (unless it's something truely impossible, like trying to get yourself genetically mutated so you can fly and have psychic powers...).:

Don't laugh I'm working on that.

I'll post how I'm making out on my forum
                    PLEASE VISIT US HERE. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Comment

I think the prices are pretty reasonable.

Comment

For just the software, it is too much. But like others said, when you have a license you also get access to the support forums, and best of all, all the hacks including vbHome Lite (which runs my front page) which really increases the value.
                        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

There's always vB Lite, too.

You have to think of it as an investment. vB has made my site take off in terms of the activity. It's going to pay for itself later this year.
                          iComix :: web comics

Report Post | IP: Logged

Comment

Yeah, vB has also paid for itself for me
                            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

You are lucky they don't listen to me... I figure vB is worth at least twice as much as they charge for it.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X