This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infopop's new packaging and products

Anyone checked out Infopop.com lately? They have released a Mysql version of Opentopic Ubb.X which is still hosted; and you get to use it for free with Infopop's own dedicated server packages beginning at $500 a pop for 30gb traffic monthly, 1gig ram, raid1storage, 1ghz processor.

UBB for perl is now UBB classic. I think this product will disappear in the next few months

Ubbthreads is Ubb.threads. They will probably get the UBB classic interface on top of this.

Any thoughts? I hope this thread does not have to get closed

I think Infopop lost out when they bashed their customers, making it so I don't even care what products they offer, better or not!
    We're Here Forums!
    [email protected]

Comment

Hmmmm....let's not turn this into an opportunity to bash Infopop and UBB. Let's try to keep this as a straight forward discussion of the merits or disadvantages of the new offerings.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Merits? Are there any merits?
        (yes, not being an official entity has its advantages of not needing to be politically correct at all times.)
        Last edited by Fusion; Wed 24th Apr '02, 11:42am.
        Toddler from Hell

Comment

i havnt used UBB since 5.x or so... i still think VB has the better advantage
          Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

I own a UBB licence, I actually got that before I got my VB licence.Used to like them, 5.xx was great but then they moved to 6.xx and well.....just went **** from there really, tried to add to many things to it and it's all well erm.....cack.

As for the new changes, just seems like a publicity stunt to get people to buy their hosting package and get people talking about UBB again.I mean opentopic is crap anyway so it makes sense they are giving it away.

Comment

UBB.x looks very nice, I think. UBB.classic's good, has a nice design, and it's starting to catch up a bit with its features, but it's very server intensive. UBB.threads is pretty nice, but just plain ugly and not the funnest thing to navigate thru (hopefully, they'll fix this with 6.0). And I've always liked OpenTopic, but it was just so expensive! So $21/month for hosting on a shared server which comes with a free UBB.x isn't half bad, IMO.

But I'll prolly stick to vB.

Suggestion to Jelsoft: Incorporate vBulletinHosting.com into vBulletin.com! Or atleast add a link to it on the front page or something.

Comment

UBB used to be the best bb available, but they screwed that up, and I do not ever see them recovering.

they do not seem to happy about it:

ubbdev thread
                Last edited by Prince; Wed 24th Apr '02, 6:34pm.
                http://www.ironmagazine.com - blog
                http://www.ironmagazineforums.com - forums
                http://www.ironmaglabs.com - supplements

Comment

I think vB is CLEARLY better...

Comment

UBB.x

-No installation required—UBB.x is hosted at Infopop’s secure facility
                    -Written in Java and XSL, uses an MySQL database back-end

Weird stuff
                    -Tom
                    http://www.mcseboard.de/images/buttons/lastpost.gif www.MCSEboard.de
                    German Windows Server & IT Pro Community dedicated to Windows Client & Server Systems. MVPs inside

Comment

LOL... now that Infopop has acquired wwwthreads, they claim to have a PHP/MySQL system that beats vBulletin...

So, I just registered at www.threadsdev.com to check out their UBB.threads version 6 which they claim to have optimized to beat the hell out of vB. And what do I see at the bottom?
                      Generated in 0.407 seconds. 54 queries. Zlib compression enabled.
                      Yeah... really optimized...

Also, here's a new quote from our buddy Ted O'Neill:
                      "I am certainly not an expert on vB, but I can tell you the following:

1. vBulletin is simply a clone of the UBB. It was "created" by a teenager running a UBB who wanted to port it over to PHP. Infopop created the look and feel that you experience in virtually every message board on the market. We have our own PHP/MySQl downloadable message board option now, anyway (detailed below), if that is the kind of product you require."
                      Should they just get away with saying that?

Comment

I just read that lol, vBulletin came out when UBB was still running version 5. I had both running at one point and UBB got its ass whooped in every way. The customisable templates never existed until UBB 6 neither did styles. Alot of features in v6 of UBB are very similar to that of vB.

Well we'll wait until v3 and then we'll see who's laughing
                        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Prince
                          UBB used to be the best bb available, but they screwed that up, and I do not ever see them recovering.

they do not seem to happy about it:

ubbdev thread
                          guess what, gone
                          You're my Prince of Peace
                          And I will live my life for You

Comment

I thought UBB was banned from most hosts because it's a CPU hog?

Comment

I'm closing this thread now because it's starting to turn into a UBB/Infopop bashing which is against the forum guidelines.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=36725
                              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X