Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ubbuser
    replied
    Frankly though I have yet to see a popular well used, well supported CMS product that is reasonably priced.

Leave a comment:

• aaronx88
    replied
    I heard ezpublish is quite good and its FREE Planning to use them soon.

LINK : http://www.ez.no/article/articlestatic/7/1/42/

DEMO : http://publishdemo.ez.no/

ADMIN : http://admin.publishdemo.ez.no/

username = admin
    password = publish

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Originally posted by rascal
    Does the vB3 CMS comes as a package or an optional or we have to purchase individually?
    It's an optional add-on that will be available at some, as yet, undetermined cost.

Leave a comment:

• RobAC
    replied
    Good stuff! Thanks for the clarification Chris!

Leave a comment:

• chrispadfield
    replied
    a real CMS will do more than just template things, it can allow you to organise things, create new things articles online, sort articles in different ways, inbuilt search engines, set up permission systems for authors (with validation), categories things, display top X articles, reviews, reports etc, automatically paginate things, cobrand things etc. I am not at all saying that vb CMS has any or all of these things as to be honest I have no idea but those are the sort of features I would want from a CMS. For example on my scifi site I would use a CMS for:

1) A news system for the front page (this is what portals have).
    2) A fan fiction directory so people could list their fan fiction works
    3) A shopping directory to list sci fi merchandise
    4) An episode directory giving episode reviews

Those are just some examples of what I would use a CMS for.

Leave a comment:

• RobAC
    replied
    Originally posted by bigmattyh

The best way to explain this is with a simple example:

Say you have a site with bits of news for your members. You've built up a considerable database of news items -- let's say about 300, all of which you wish to keep available to your visitors.

... Then you decide that you want to change your site design.

If you've entered each of these news items into a static HTML template, you now have to change all 300 of these pages, or at least, you have to cut-and-paste all the old news items into your new templates.

With dynamic, database-driven templates, you only need to change the templates, and the software puts the content into the appropriate place. Your content is stored separately from the design, allowing you to change the design without affecting the content. It's all done dynamically, putting the work load on the machine, not you.

And as an aside, one of vB's greatest strengths is that it runs off of templates. I wish other software did the same.
    True. However.....server side includes do the same thing....which is what I have done on my site. All I have to do is make changes to approximately 10 separate includes and 300+ pages will be changed at once.

Leave a comment:

• Martz
    replied
    All this *bits* of information on sites and portals are anoying - I'm already at your site, why are you trying to gain my attention on every square inch of every page?

I prefer a plain, dull and unformatted site with the content I want instead of a visually appealing site which offers nothing. Having both is the best of all worlds, and will make a great product.

Leave a comment:

• rascal
    replied
    Does the vB3 CMS comes as a package or an optional or we have to purchase individually?

Leave a comment:

• Steve_S
    replied
    pssst.....................................

Watch this one real close. Poke around and notice all the great features and visit some of the sites to see how they have deployed it.

http://www.pmachine.com/

I have no connection with either the product, the author or anything directly or indirectly related to the site, script, hosting, php, or Mysql

It's just on my watch list to buy as soon as the new version comes out for another site I'm working on.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• bigmattyh
    replied
    Originally posted by RobAC
    As far as utilizing templates to display data/content that is stored within a database....what's the difference between that and utilizing a simple HTML based template where you plug the data/content into the HTML?
    The best way to explain this is with a simple example:

Say you have a site with bits of news for your members. You've built up a considerable database of news items -- let's say about 300, all of which you wish to keep available to your visitors.

... Then you decide that you want to change your site design.

If you've entered each of these news items into a static HTML template, you now have to change all 300 of these pages, or at least, you have to cut-and-paste all the old news items into your new templates.

With dynamic, database-driven templates, you only need to change the templates, and the software puts the content into the appropriate place. Your content is stored separately from the design, allowing you to change the design without affecting the content. It's all done dynamically, putting the work load on the machine, not you.

And as an aside, one of vB's greatest strengths is that it runs off of templates. I wish other software did the same.

Leave a comment:

• RobAC
    replied
    Well, here's my personal opinion on the CMS issue so take it for what it's worth. I am running vbPortal and in my opinion it is a CMS. Depending on how you implement it into your site, you don't have to have the "dreaded 3-column format" running throughout your entire site as I have done. I use the 3 column format on my site home page and that's it. I have found that the 3 column format provides the most efficient manner of displaying tidbits of information and valuable links to other parts of the site where they immediately catch the attention of the user when he/she comes to the homepage of the site.

Now, can someone give me a proper/definitive definition of what a CMS is and how it does not relate to vbPortal?

As far as utilizing templates to display data/content that is stored within a database....what's the difference between that and utilizing a simple HTML based template where you plug the data/content into the HTML?

Yes, a little database automation would be nice, but it's not a big deal to do it as described above.

I've started monthly columns in my forums which have proven to be extremely popular. I have the forums set up so that only I (the administrator) can start new threads (which is the monthly articles) and the members can reply to those threads. The reason why I've chosen to do this is because I feel that it's important to receive member feedback on the posted articles. The members bring fresh insight and knowledge into the article topic and encourage further discussion.

On the other hand, I've also written 4 page technical articles using the old fashioned HTML method and not utilizing the forums. Both methods work well for their intended purpose. The only drawback I've found is that by utilizing the forums to submit articles, you're bound by various coding restrictions which ultimately affect the layout of text and photographs. It's a minor annoyance, but not an impossibility.

Again, just my two cents.

Leave a comment:

• Fusion
    replied
    Originally posted by smachol
    Gee, we're getting a little desparate aren't we?
    Heheh, 'twas worth a try, Steve.

Leave a comment:

• MarkB
    replied
    Originally posted by chrispadfield
    it won't be anything like vbportal/PHP portal etc. because it is a CMS not a portal However i havn't seen the development on it from the last couple of weeks or so so it could have changed, but I think you will find it is all about being a CMS and not a portal.
    Ohhh thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou!

Leave a comment:

• bigmattyh
    replied
    Going out on a (rather sturdy) limb here, but since it's coming from the vB guys, it'll be template-driven. Meaning: you customize it, baby.

Leave a comment:

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    Originally posted by chrispadfield
    it won't be anything like vbportal/PHP portal etc. because it is a CMS not a portal However i havn't seen the development on it from the last couple of weeks or so so it could have changed, but I think you will find it is all about being a CMS and not a portal.
    the vB 3 CMS will have a portal interface though, right? great, a CMS, but how to display it?

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X