Do you let members become moderators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you let members become moderators?

I was wondering if you let members become moderators? With us some regular member are asking about this and I want to know what do you guys do about such requests? How do you filter out intelligent members who can be moderators from the idiots who cannot?

I mean it is one thing to have a forum of programmers or stuff where more "mature" people come in and other thing to have a forum with kids on it who want to become mods

A few tips would be neat

its up to you, my suggestion is make them a moderator with limited rights, then see how they do
    Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

sure i would, if they seemed responsible enough and i trusted them. slowly add them maybe let them do one forum and slowly add them to others.
      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
      Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Thks for the replies.

How have you setup a moderator with limited rights I suspect it has something to do with access masks for that member?

A detailed procedure would be neat thanks again.

Comment

dont allow them to delete threads, ect
          Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

Sure. It's all part of the process of running a forum, and a necessary step if you want to run a forum of any size.

The usual way is after the member has posted a lot of intelligent posts then they likely have the best interests of the forum at heart.

I know from experience that I've gotten to know people before I've asked them to become moderators, I consider many of them to be amost my best friends .

On my board it's impossible to delete posts, instead mods (and admin) must move posts to a trash forum, therefore they can always be put back if needed.

Being a forum admin is really all about your moderators. I've got 15 of them!
            Motorsport Forums

Comment

Hmm weird if not allow them to delete then what? move threads to a trash forum?

By the way in a busy forum, do you all interact like normal members with your forum's members or try not to interact a lot or nothing at all?

Comment

Originally posted by ubbuser
                [B]Hmm weird if not allow them to delete then what? move threads to a trash forum?
                Yes. Move threads by moving without redirect, and delete posts by splitting the thread and selecting trash as the destination forum. Also I would recommend installing "reason for post edit"

By the way in a busy forum, do you all interact like normal members with your forum's members or try not to interact a lot or nothing at all?
                Well I use my forum the same way I would as if I wasn't my forum (obviously I don't post anything outside our rules or which would cause argument). The mods on the forum do the same. In fact when I was starting out I had the same user title as an ordinary member, so people would talk to me just like another member. I don't feel the need for that now though.

People won't react well to some anonymous person "moderating" their posts. It's all about community afterall, moderators are allowed to have opinions just like anybody else and members are much more likely to respect someone who is part of that community. Plus it's no fun otherwise!
                Motorsport Forums

Comment

If you did not make members into moderators, how would you get modertaors?
                  All of my mods were once "members".
                  http://www.ironmagazine.com - blog
                  http://www.ironmagazineforums.com - forums
                  http://www.ironmaglabs.com - supplements

Comment

Our process for choosing conference hosts:

1) Advertise via an announcement that we need hosts for X conference

2) Accept PM's from people who want to be hosts

3) Present the names in front of the Murmurs Crew, who are a group of 12 who do all our admin stuff.

4) Choose the host

5) Send them the hosting manual, which they need to read and digest before accepting. The hosting manual outlines our hosting philosophies, how to handle problems, procedures, responsibilities, etc.

6) If accepted, then introduce them to all the other hosts and introduce them in their forum. We also change their status line.

We have 19 hosts and 12 crew members. Crew members do things like content editing, community bulletings, watch the boards, maintain the peer-to-peer network, programming and press.

EThan

Comment

I pick mods from members, but not by requests. I let them post for a while, see the quality of their posts, and see if they are dedicated to the board. If they are, they will become a mod (doesnt always happen that way, still have some dedicated people who arent mods).
                      ::::::: http://ffimpulse.com
                      ::::::: http://ffimpulse.com/forum

Comment

All members of the SPI are moderators at my forums, and when the FFO opens up all Editors there will become moderators on my forum, too.

My board is fully integrated for my projects, and as such, those who help me run the project, help me run the board. I also have one co-admin.

Comment

How did you guys deside how many mods and super mods you needed.

What I mean is, at 50 members did you figure you needed 2 mods plus yourself or did you only add a mod for every 100 members you got.

Some boards I have seen have like 100 or so members and 10 mods I don't think this is nessassary.

Your thoughts

Regards

Joe

PLEASE VISIT US HERE. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Comment

Yes.

I believe that an online community should have some kind of level where users who are good and proven to be a great asset to the forum, and are also willing to help, and not want to be a mod for the power trip, are good to the forum and might turn out as great moderators for a specific board.

No,
                            super mods are assigned when the forum gets created. There is no need to assign them just because a user is good or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by xiphoid
                              No,
                              super mods are assigned when the forum gets created. There is no need to assign them just because a user is good or whatever.
                              I disagree. Sometimes, on large forums, super-mods can be added later on. It can well be users that have been very helpful and dedicated, and are around all the time.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X