X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Skeptical
    Ok just gotta add one more here. As admin I don't like not being able to view a user's email address when I click on their profile. I can understand this restriction from the normal user's view, but I'm the admin. I use my forum for support purposes and it becomes quite painful when users don't tell me their account information and I have to log in to the admin panel to search for their email addresses.
    If you click on the Admin Options link at the bottom of the profile, it will allow you to login to the control panel and vBulletin will find the user automatically for you.

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    Ok just gotta add one more here. As admin I don't like not being able to view a user's email address when I click on their profile. I can understand this restriction from the normal user's view, but I'm the admin. I use my forum for support purposes and it becomes quite painful when users don't tell me their account information and I have to log in to the admin panel to search for their email addresses.

Leave a comment:

• Beramode
    replied
    Why does everyone think that redirections are a pain? I think they are great.

Leave a comment:

• N9ne
    replied
    Originally posted by samtha25

I hope that vB3 will ship with a very basic template set that allows building up rather than having to strip out. Nearly every template for our site our modified, largely to strip out the vB-look code. It took weeks of work and testing. I think a simple set should be standard with the license, but I'd pay extra for it if need be.

I disagree, in general, with the sentiment that people using vBulletin should learn enough HTML to be able to modify templates. The template system in vBulletin is complicated and since the actual templates rely on php calls, modifying them is not easy to test as you go and very tedious if you're making a lot of modifications, since you can't test with the actual templates offline. Moreover, Web site design is going to become much more complicated with the advent of XHTML and CSS-only formatting. Why should someone who wishes to have a Web forum need to understand the markup and coding anymore than they understand the coding of other software applications. It's a significant value-add to make it easy as possible for people to do want they want, how they want. Minimum would be to ship with a choice of basic styles and to provide others at a reasonable price.
    Good idea of having basic styles come with it...

Also, maybe in the member area have some template sets and such available for download? Or having pay-for-us ones too...

Leave a comment:

• samtha25
    replied
    Originally posted by JamesUS
    I'm just going to pipe in here and say that we are considering including more styles as an optional extra with vB 3...
    I hope that vB3 will ship with a very basic template set that allows building up rather than having to strip out. Nearly every template for our site our modified, largely to strip out the vB-look code. It took weeks of work and testing. I think a simple set should be standard with the license, but I'd pay extra for it if need be.

I disagree, in general, with the sentiment that people using vBulletin should learn enough HTML to be able to modify templates. The template system in vBulletin is complicated and since the actual templates rely on php calls, modifying them is not easy to test as you go and very tedious if you're making a lot of modifications, since you can't test with the actual templates offline. Moreover, Web site design is going to become much more complicated with the advent of XHTML and CSS-only formatting. Why should someone who wishes to have a Web forum need to understand the markup and coding anymore than they understand the coding of other software applications. It's a significant value-add to make it easy as possible for people to do want they want, how they want. Minimum would be to ship with a choice of basic styles and to provide others at a reasonable price.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Threading will be available in 3.0... However I don't know if there is much hope for frames.

Leave a comment:

• bernard
    replied
    Lack of Threading.

Frames would be nice (instead of the drop down list box).

See Webboard Design...akiva

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by mjames
    The main complaint I have with vB is the upgrading process. Ideally, it should be like installing a patch to Windows when you install patches/bug fixes in upgrading where you don't lose your settings and customizations.
    Only difference is Microsoft knows exactly what the code looks like because you can't hack or modify it.

Leave a comment:

• mjames
    replied
    The main complaint I have with vB is the upgrading process. Ideally, it should be like installing a patch to Windows when you install patches/bug fixes in upgrading where you don't lose your settings and customizations.

Leave a comment:

• DirectPixel
    replied
    Originally posted by Sinecure

There is no need for names
    Okay Lyle...

Leave a comment:

• Sinecure
    replied
    Originally posted by eiSecure
    What he said, except adding in the foolin' around with Jenny part.
    There is no need for names

Leave a comment:

• Fusion
    replied
    Originally posted by veedee
    Wasn't this such a good post

Leave a comment:

• Martin CX
    replied
    vBulletin is to me by far the most attractive forum software I've come across. I love the flexibility of it, and though I've shaven most of the extra features off it to make the transition easier for our users (and for the server!), I've added a few hacks of my own and of the incredibly active and responsive hacking community.

The problem that keeps our horribly inefficient and serverstraining proprietary bulletin board as the primary and vB as the backup board is the lack of threading in vB. It is a huge issue to our users and had we known that vB3 would in fact be delayed for as long as it has been, we would probably have looked elsewhere. Which would be a pity as I really thing vB is the best (regardless of what my users say ).

That is my biggest gripe. The template system - albeit occasionally cumbersome - makes radically redesigning the forums much easier. Many of the standard 'looks' haven't been to my users liking, but it isn't a problem because it is almost instantly changeable.

Other than that I would have liked better tools for my moderators and supermoderators, but those are minor gripes.

You have done a great job with vB and you have reason to be proud of your product. Now, how about getting vB3 ready now? (Please)

Leave a comment:

• DirectPixel
    replied
    Originally posted by Sinecure

Getting designers around here to create styles available for download in the members area?
    smells fishy to me hehe, the idea does intrigue me
    What he said, except adding in the foolin' around with Jenny part.

Leave a comment:

• Sinecure
    replied
    Originally posted by JamesUS
    I'm just going to pipe in here and say that we are considering including more styles as an optional extra with vB 3...though very likely nothing extra will be included in the beta versions. If we do include any they will almost certainly not be available until vB 3 final is released.

You'll hear more about it during the beta period.
    Getting designers around here to create styles available for download in the members area?
    smells fishy to me hehe, the idea does intrigue me

Leave a comment: