• Floris
    replied
    Re: eeeeh....

Originally posted by Mas*Mind
    [B]
    1. As a developer I don't like the way vbulletin is coded
    and

Originally posted by Jakeman
    my friend who does a lot of php says the vB php code looks like the devs were smoking something. he says it doesn't make sense the way stuff is done. hehe

^------ ROFL .. sorry, but I so disagree there.
    and jake, change friends

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Originally posted by filburt1
    I find the redirectors annoying but they serve a point. The one thing I loathe is that it doesn't remember the admin CP login cookie, and it's annoying to have to type in my u/p. It should just get it if I'm logged into the forums normally.
    I was scary first, I couldn't imagine them to allow a cookie for the access to the Admin Control Panel. When I noticed I had to re-login after every session. Great! I also added .htaccess/passwd to the directories where users shouldn't peeke a boo about.
    It is kind of annoying, but .. I am very glad it is done this way.

Originally posted by MarkB
    I would like the user manual to be more thorough (but not at the risk of it taking time away from development).

That's all Compared to other products, vB is like a big bowl of ice cream to their pickles
    Now that I think of it, this kind of was disappointing to me too. And there was not even a downloadable version! But I think I was already involved in a thread that was about this, so.. no use going into that right now. But yeah, this manual could be a little bit more helpful then it is now.

Originally posted by Jakeman
    my only complaint is support in the support forums. too many times people are turned away empty handed. regardless of whether their request is supported or not, i think it's very important to customer service that we at least give them something. example, provide them with a link to the appropriate hack, refer them to another forum, etc. these simple "no, that is not supported" answers are terrible. at the very least you should sympathize with them. it's the universal approach to customer service:

1. listen
    2. sypathize
    3. propose solutions or sympathetically explain why that request is not supported. propose alternative solutions like www.vbulletin.org for hacks, etc.
    4. is customer satisfied?

something like that. you get the idea.
    I get the idea yeah. First I thought, what the hell does jakey boy mean? But then I got it. Even though I got a reply to 9,9/10 of my questions, I see other users asking the 'default' thing like how to code-hack and get turned away (cough: redirected to) vb.org and other examples like that. Maybe this could be a little bit more 'professional' and with default argument or explanation, rather then just give the impression 'not another one..'. But hey. That is just my oppinion. -Those users could also have taken the time prior to posting, to read the 'Important..'-threads on top of the board / and/or to use the search engine. (Which is just bliztering fast!)

Originally posted by ethank

And somewhat the tone, but not as much. I know from experience in a private community run by Howard Rheingold that a lot of the old-school virtual community folks don't like vBulletin because they have the impression its just a bunch of script kiddies.

I've tried to convince them otherwise

Ethan
    You hang out in the wrong forums dude!

Originally posted by Skeptical
    - that "user cp" button. doesn't sound intuitive at all.
    - clicks to main logo goes to forum index rather than to site's home page. I end up having to fight to get to a forum's home page all the time.
    - when posting, there's a "PHP" button for vb code. Should be "Code" instead because not everyone uses PHP.
    - the calendar is kinda useless. Should be more full-featured.
    - with some sites, they have configured the minimum search character to be like 4 characters. Well that's all fine until you are trying to search for a keyword that is 3 letters long

Whew... didn't mean to sound picky, but the question was asked, so I'm trying my best to pick at vB. The above are mainly small stuff, so they don't bother me that much.
    Even though the buttons might looks 'simple minded?' and the logo is only clickable to the index.php (How can they know to which URL to click.. not everybody uses it IN their normal site) And even the PHP button is made to colour PHP code (and not just code?) and the search engine is restricked to 4 characters, you have the source code in your hand. You can change all that yourself and fairly easy!

The calendar is rubish? Mwah, it might lack some features, but they are working on it. I have downloaded several 'cool' calendars from the internet, and the only ones that came close to vBulletin's was one that I needed to bloody pay for! With the 'FORUM' it came for free! (w00t for that). The birthdays are auto displayed and it support public/private events. More then enough to keep me going for a while. And in vb3 it could be sold as a seperate product (hehe). [mental note: this is not an attack to you!]

Originally posted by Kier
    The HTML is optimized. If you want it to look like it does, and work as well as it does across all browsers, there is no other way to do it.

Of course, we'll be tackling things a little differently in vB3.
    Ofcourse

Sorry Kevin, You're wrong there. vBulletin 3 is XHTML 1.0 compliant.
    I thought so too, but he made me doubt. Remove his access to the vB3 alpha 1 jupiter dir!

Actually, I must inform you that the CP login for vB3 is even more rigorously enforced than before, in order that the admin login can absolutely not be compromised by spoofing cookies.
    Coooool

And hey, this does look like another vB3-thread in disguice I am glad that with vB3, security is taken, again, one step higher!

Leave a comment:

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    my friend who does a lot of php says the vB php code looks like the devs were smoking something. he says it doesn't make sense the way stuff is done. hehe

Leave a comment:

• Freddie Bingham
    replied
    Re: eeeeh....

Originally posted by Mas*Mind
    1. As a developer I don't like the way vbulletin is coded
    And what is your personal coding standard that you would like us to adopt?

Leave a comment:

• Mas*Mind
    replied
    eeeeh....

There are a couple of things about vbulletin that I don't like:
    1. The usercp is too much cluttered and not really user-friendly.
    2. Error handling is far too confusing, doesn't give enough detail
    3. As a developer I don't like the way vbulletin is coded
    4. Templates are too complicated (10 templates sometimes for 1 page, I vote for a XML/XSL combination!)
    5. Banning should be more easier and extensive

No product is perfect, allthough vbulletin comes close

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Re: What don't you like about vBulletin?

Originally posted by veedee
    [B]vBulletin is a great product. [b]
    Yeah it is

It didn't start great though, it got where it is today by smoothing out all sorts of issues. One of those issues we clearly see is software bugs, regular releases patch over past mistakes or overlooked technical queries.
    .. as any company in the world that is trying to sell a product/idea ..

However I am one of those that does care.
    Everybody cares, but at a point, a client just comes to a shop, gets the product, pays for it and parts the store again. I never asked a clerk in a store 'So, what kind of problems did you have during development of this copOcoffee?'. But yeah, I do like to see who certain products (like vB in this case) develop over time. And from the start off, I have been enjoying them. Except I only got the money for a purchase recently. This just by far the biggest,bestest forum package out there, and with vB3 in mind (oh boy)~!

Please list below any problems you have had during your experience with vBulletin, both as a customer and prior to becoming one.
    The only problem I had with vB was the time it took me to go through all the bloody features and options and settings! It was installed in several minutes (first run) and then it took me 6 hours to kind of get to know it - I was forced to ask dummy questions (and still do at times) in the support forums - I have always been helped perfectly and quickly. I was amazed, since I have almost never seen that kind of support before!

Nor am I interested in people replying to tell me they have never had a problem.
    Sorry mate - I think I can reply that I had almost no problems with vBulletin.

Let us keep this constructive.
    Doh [home simpsons style]

Leave a comment:

• Kier
    replied
    Originally posted by filburt1
    I find the redirectors annoying but they serve a point. The one thing I loathe is that it doesn't remember the admin CP login cookie, and it's annoying to have to type in my u/p. It should just get it if I'm logged into the forums normally.
    Actually, I must inform you that the CP login for vB3 is even more rigorously enforced than before, in order that the admin login can absolutely not be compromised by spoofing cookies.

Leave a comment:

• Kier
    replied
    Originally posted by tubedogg
    It will be XHTML transtitional compliant, not XHTML1.0.
    Sorry Kevin, You're wrong there. vBulletin 3 is XHTML 1.0 compliant.

Leave a comment:

• Kier
    replied
    Originally posted by krs-one
    The HTML should have been optimized in the first place and thus it would been a problem.
    The HTML is optimized. If you want it to look like it does, and work as well as it does across all browsers, there is no other way to do it.

Of course, we'll be tackling things a little differently in vB3.

Leave a comment:

• Hooper
    replied
    Another vB3 thread in disguise.

Leave a comment:

• ethank
    replied
    Originally posted by freddie
    Yes, I realize packaging moves alot of product. The packaing on vb3 will do more than compete with the look of any other offering. We just need to work on the packaging of these support forums. I notice that we have issues and we are working on dealing with them so that everyone is secure in our professionalism. Implementing the new rules is just one step in the process. We would prefer to go on as we were but our with anarchic approach puts a lot of people off. As long as out current supporters can live with the rules and accept them for what they are, we should be ok in the long run.
    I agree that the rules go a long way. The only other thing I would look at is vbulletin.org, but since its a hacking forum some irreverence is appropriate.

Don't mean to be all stodgy (I can already see people rolling eyes), but I've tried to sell vBulletin to some folks as a viable boards solution and this is one issue I ran into. Actually the primary one.

Ethan

Leave a comment:

• Freddie Bingham
    replied

I agree, and I think you know which "professional" forums I'm talking about. Nicely packaged substandard products.

Its an issue I run into on that board a lot.
    Yes, I realize packaging moves alot of product. The packaing on vb3 will do more than compete with the look of any other offering. We just need to work on the packaging of these support forums. I notice that we have issues and we are working on dealing with them so that everyone is secure in our professionalism. Implementing the new rules is just one step in the process. We would prefer to go on as we were but our with anarchic approach puts a lot of people off. As long as out current supporters can live with the rules and accept them for what they are, we should be ok in the long run.

Leave a comment:

• ethank
    replied
    Originally posted by freddie
    What are you gonna do? Is it because it is written in PHP and not PERL? Is it because it is not USENET? Is it because it is not a mailing list. There are many reason "old school"'ers won't like something when it comes to the internet. I have been here since 1993. I think part of the problem is that we interact with the community so much. Ironically that can give some the wrong impression since often the best answer is too give no answer at all ala the more "professional" offerings.
    I agree, and I think you know which "professional" forums I'm talking about. Nicely packaged substandard products.

Its an issue I run into on that board a lot.

Leave a comment:

• Freddie Bingham
    replied
    Originally posted by Skeptical
    - the calendar is kinda useless. Should be more full-featured.
    Ouch, but the truth hurts. Hopefully you will be impressed with the calendar in v3. If it is something you use than you shouldn't need to put a third party calendar up.

Leave a comment:

• Freddie Bingham
    replied

And somewhat the tone, but not as much. I know from experience in a private community run by Howard Rheingold that a lot of the old-school virtual community folks don't like vBulletin because they have the impression its just a bunch of script kiddies.

I've tried to convince them otherwise

Ethan
    What are you gonna do? Is it because it is written in PHP and not PERL? Is it because it is not USENET? Is it because it is not a mailing list. There are many reason "old school"'ers won't like something when it comes to the internet. I have been here since 1993. I think part of the problem is that we interact with the community so much. Ironically that can give some the wrong impression since often the best answer is too give no answer at all ala the more "professional" offerings.

Leave a comment: