• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteppenWolf
    replied
    Hi !

Here are my 3 points :

1- XMLing the vB would be a huge but a great change ...
    Just imagine what it would be possible to do with your vB ...

2- Possibility to custom the tables names, like phpBB2 :
    vB_user / vB_searchindex ....

3- Possibility to change the language of the front-end and the backend (easily !!!)

Don't forget that vB is the BEST !

Leave a comment:

• nuno
    replied
    there are too much 'tables' in postbit template, the first three should be moved to showthread template IMO

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Originally posted by CondorZ
    Too many bugs in the upgrades. Things that should be found easily before release.
    I disagree to a certain point.. i.e. the latest security bugs found gave me the impression that this is not due to buggy coding, but only because a new vunr. was found (XXS).

Leave a comment:

• CondorZ
    replied
    Too many bugs in the upgrades. Things that should be found easily before release.

Leave a comment:

• robpet
    replied
    Improvements needed in site interface for prospective users

I just bought vb and am still having installation issues, so I can't speak about usability. However, I can speak about the very frustrating experience I had as a relatively intelligent person trying to figure out how to use the Lite version, whether I could upgrade to ownership after purchasing a lease, etc. The information a new person to the site needs to make a purchase decision is scattered all over the place on different pages. It took me several hours of reading and clicking to put together a logical strategy for deciding whether to purchase. This frustrated me enough that I gave up a couple of times. It's only because I was really motivated that I perservered.

Examples of problems: at one time I found a mention, perhaps in a forum, that it was possible to upgrade from lease to purchase within 30 days. Then a week later I wanted to double-check that I remembered this correctly and I couldn't find any mention of it in an hour of searching. I finally gave up and purchased the program anyway, only then to be told that I could upgrade. The fact that one can purchase a lease and then upgrade is a major sales point that should be obviously stated BEFORE purchase.

Another example: As a prospective user, it's hard to discover that the Lite forum exists. When thinking about buying, a person wants to know about issues with using the Lite version to determine whether the full version will run on their server. On the VB home page, the only way to get this information would be to click on the obscurely-named teeny weeny "Community" link, reach the forums, and then scroll way down. No way a person is going to know to do this.

Another example: I found the whole issue of "registering" and using/posting to the forums really really really confusing. When I first tried to read the forums looking for info on purchasing, Lite version, etc., I would get messages saying that I wasn't authorized. I thought this meant that only people who had purchased could use the forums, so I didn't look further for help there. It was only later that I discovered that a non-purchaser could still register and use the forums.

Another example: I could never get the admin demo to work. I could see the demo, but it wouldn't let me create forums or add messages. Plus it didn't help that there were no directions for how to use the admin demo. Couldn't you place a link on the admin demo that pops up a help window?

Now I'm sure some people will criticise me for overlooking information. They'll say, "you dummy. The thing you claim isn't there is half-way down such and such a page." But from a sales perspective, this is lame thinking. You should never blame the customer for being stupid. If you want to maximize sales, your job is to assume the customer is stupid, do some research to determine just how stupid your average customers is, design your sales presentation/web flow so that even the stupidest customers can understand, and, if you're really good, you'll make the customers feel smart while you're spoon feeding them!

In order to maximize the number of people who purchase the product, what is needed is a clear flow where the architecture of the introductory pages meets the needs of a prospective buyer. For example, start with a big, obvious link that says "Thinking of buying?" This link takes you to a page with at least two links. Link 1: "If you already know VB will work on your site, click here". Link 2: "If you're not sure VB will work on your site, click here."
    Link 2 takes you to a page that explains that testing with the Lite version will determine whether VB will run on your site. On this page, Link A says "click here to download Lite version and read instructions". Link B says "click here to read about other user's problems and solutions to using the Lite version". Link B takes the users to the Lite forum.

Incidentally, the readme file for the Lite version is really bad and neglects to tell the person to to create the directory that's needed for the install to work. The readme file needs to be redone using info from one of the tutorials posted in the forum.

In summary, the material now available to a prospective buyer is more like an obstacle course than an incentive to buy. I recognize that many and perhaps most of prospective clients are web-savvy people who are used to digging around for the info they need, but why make it so difficult? Whoever is running VB needs to get a person with a little marketing savvy to redesign the entry. I'd also suggest doing the marketing-101 step of getting some stupid beta testers to step through the introductory pages, noting where they get confused (i.e. use a focus group), and then restructure the architecture accordingly. I find it hard to believe that you guys obviously spend thousands upon thousands of person hours doing import scripts, etc., but clearly haven't gotten a competent person to spend a couple days on this critical component of your site. I hope this helps. I want you guys to make more money so you can keep improving a great product! (At least I hope it will be great....I'll know better if I can get my admin panel functioning!)
    Last edited by robpet; Fri 5th Apr '02, 9:03am.

Leave a comment:

• ubbuser
    replied
    There is one small feature that could have been altered a bit.

If a member's post count is 10, then if I do a mass prune of messages in a forum (based on days old) & then if that member's 3 posts are deleted in the process, the total post count of the member goes down to 7.

I guess this is a planned feature so I cannot argue much about it.
    IMHO the member's post count should never change even if their messages are deleted (or an ON/OFF option be given in the vb CP).

Leave a comment:

• Mas*Mind
    replied
    Originally posted by veedee
    Great replies so far.

I did not mean to come across like I am anti-vB. No way.
    I also did not want this to be a *****ing ground for developers to justify vB3, however it was inevitable.

Keep the comments rolling in please.

Cheers,

veedee
    I think you did a good job placing this thread. This only helps making vb even better in the future. Only telling the devs how great vb is (which it is) doesn't help on improving the product. You also have to pinpoint to the weaknesses in vb

Leave a comment:

• veedee
    replied
    Great replies so far.

I did not mean to come across like I am anti-vB. No way.
    I also did not want this to be a *****ing ground for developers to justify vB3, however it was inevitable.

Keep the comments rolling in please.

Cheers,

veedee

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    My suggestion to Jelsoft. If you want to sell to the corporate big wigs, code the next version to make use of XML. XML is the neatest thing I've seen that's not being fully utilized right now. With it you totally separate out the UI with the data.

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    Originally posted by freddie
    Ouch, but the truth hurts. Hopefully you will be impressed with the calendar in v3. If it is something you use than you shouldn't need to put a third party calendar up.
    Sorry didn't mean to offend anyone with that comment.

Here's what I think would make the calendar more full-featured:

- Hourly schedules not just daily
    - Recurring events
    - Email notifications of pending events

That way a user can post private calendar events for himself, rather than just looking at people's birthdays.

Leave a comment:

• Fusion
    replied
    Hopefully v3 will be able to use the caching in PHP4.1.x. Kier&Freddie has refused to say thusfar.

Leave a comment:

• Dave#
    replied
    Originally posted by Mas*Mind
    It probably will (not sure) but on the other hand it speeds alot of things up since you can simplify your code alot

I don't know the benchmarking between xml transforming and the way vbulletin makes use of templating though. I do know that xsl-transforming is litening fast though
    Well it would be faster if we introduced caching

Leave a comment:

• Mas*Mind
    replied
    It probably will (not sure) but on the other hand it speeds alot of things up since you can simplify your code alot

I don't know the benchmarking between xml transforming and the way vbulletin makes use of templating though. I do know that xsl-transforming is litening fast though

Leave a comment:

• Mark Hewitt
    replied
    Wouldn't transforming into XML first just add another layer to the processing, hence slow things down?

Leave a comment:

• Mas*Mind
    replied
    Originally posted by xiphoid

In that case,

Nah, stick to HTML
    euhm.... XML and HTML are two different things as well

you can transform XML into any format and that includes HTML

It would look like this:

DB -> PHP/JSP/ASP/Perl -> XML -> HTML/XHTML/XML/WML/PDF/Whateveruwant

Leave a comment: