Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raz Meister
    replied
    Seperate templates are an annoying thing in VB.

If, for example, you created a custom template (or even edited a given template) and want to update the html - you have to update ALL instances of that in ALL your created styles.

It would be much better to allow global template pages/changes from the admin panel.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Hewitt
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. X
    Here are the things I dont like:

When using the buttons to insert code in your post, they end up at the bottom. On a forum using Infopop's OpenTopic, where ever you click in your post, the code for URLS or IMG tags will appear, not just end up at the bottom. This gets annoying when having to edit an image in a post where I select that tag, and insert the correct URL, but instead it will be parsed to the bottom.

This is all javascript, surely this can be correct by modifying the templates?

Another thing UBB/OT does that vB doesnt, is that there is only 1 table line between posts, vs. 2 on vB. Sure it sounds minor, but to me thats a real annoyance, it looks messy. Its weird to explain, but I seriously hate how it looks, which is why I put a space in there on my forums. To tell you the truth I'd rather not put a space, but the way vB does it, I have to. It bugs the hell out of me.
    If you want it to look like UBB/OT then edit the templates to make it look like it, theres nothing to prevent that whatsoever.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. X
    replied
    Here are the things I dont like:

When using the buttons to insert code in your post, they end up at the bottom. On a forum using Infopop's OpenTopic, where ever you click in your post, the code for URLS or IMG tags will appear, not just end up at the bottom. This gets annoying when having to edit an image in a post where I select that tag, and insert the correct URL, but instead it will be parsed to the bottom.

Another thing UBB/OT does that vB doesnt, is that there is only 1 table line between posts, vs. 2 on vB. Sure it sounds minor, but to me thats a real annoyance, it looks messy. Its weird to explain, but I seriously hate how it looks, which is why I put a space in there on my forums. To tell you the truth I'd rather not put a space, but the way vB does it, I have to. It bugs the hell out of me.
    Last edited by Mr. X; Thu 4th Jul '02, 12:08am.

Leave a comment:

• cyburbia
    replied
    Grammar Nazi

Really, for me it's minor things regarding the grammar and consistency of capital letter use in vBulletin default settings. I see it on this page ...

Automatically parse URLs: and
    Disable Smilies in This Post

and ...

Logged in user:
    Post subject:
    Your Reply:

Why is "reply" capitalized? It's not a proper noun. If you're capitalizing every word, how come it's not done in "Logged in user"?

Leave a comment:

• Arkham
    replied
    Originally posted by Prince

I agree with some of what you said, but this statement is a bit exaggerated, don't you think?
    As far as reading/writing and navigating messages and forums, not at all. (Recall that I said "many" not "every" way )

The full-screen editors blew away this textarea box...

Masking message areas in/out of the newscan so each user could pick and choose which areas/forum they wanted.

Resetting read/unread pointers on a per area/forum basis...

Cross-posting...

Tracing replies/original posts at the touch of a button. (ie "Read Replies" and "Read original".) (Forum Planet at least has "This is a reply to #6" in each message so you can manually find it). Handy for those non-quoters out there.

Quoting multiple passages on the original on the fly. (i.e. from your editor you can call up a message, highlight what you want to quote, single or multiple sections.) There's a hack out there that lets you quote from mulitple posts, but it's still not as flexible as it used to be.

And easier methods of displaying/not displaying things based on security and permissions. (i.e. How many vB sites have "edit" on all of their posts, not just yours, when you shouldn't see it?)

These are a few for starters.

I'm not even going to touch the non-message-related features, because that's more comparable to a "portal". Even then the suites would give a lot of "portals" a well-rounded run for their money.
    Last edited by Arkham; Wed 3rd Jul '02, 9:09am.

Leave a comment:

• Skitchen8
    replied
    the default color, can't we have anything better than purple?? thats my only complaint... well actually i don't own vB so i really can't complain... come to think about it, why am i here??

Leave a comment:

• Meirion
    replied
    Fusion> your idea is not ideal really. I agree with Veedee. If you have 15 users, and 10 of them are real you've still got to pop-open 5 new windows for the dodgy users, set their usergroups and save them, and then close the windows again. It's a pain.

My initial gripes with VB when we first moved from UBB was that everything looked/felt so technical.... and that was before I'd seen the admin panel!

The impression I got was that UBB was designed with the board user in mind, and VB was designed for the admins!

The standard templates just appear very complex, all this user-cp stuff etc, and the signup form is almost like a technical competance test - browse board with cookies? How many average (ie people not in IT) users have a clue as to what that is for.
    Things like the VBcode buttons, I doubt that many people have got use for the "php" syntax coding one, unless the specifically need it. So why have it in there as default? I had to do a load of template hacking to pull things like that out, would be far more suitable to have an option for it in the control panel. And now I've edited lots of templates stripping out things like this whenever I do an upgrade I'm probably missing out on a lot of template updates.

I would love to VB3 have a "nerd" and "nomal person" setting, and be able to run a simple clean looking board without resorting to shredding the templates trying to hide features in the process. Of course the geeks on my site can use the nerd setting and have all the excitement of the "Automatically parse URLS" tickbox and the "PHP" button!

Leave a comment:

• Prince
    replied
    Originally posted by Arkham
    Truth be told the old BBS programs really blow away modern forum scripts in so many ways.
    I agree with some of what you said, but this statement is a bit exaggerated, don't you think?

Leave a comment:

• Arkham
    replied
    The thing that's consistently bothered me since day one (and seems to be true for all the forums scripts I've seen), is the way read/unread forums and messages are handled.

Back in "the day", BBS user accounts kept track of the last (highest) msg ID read in each area independantly. One could keep as current or behind as one wanted, resetting your msg pointers for each message area independantly, or marking them all as read.

With vBulletin's method of basing it on the last time you visited the forum, it's become an all-or-nothing situation.

If you accidentally follow your email notification to a thread, you've just royally screwed up your "Getnew" results. Everything is so fragile, and often I end up feeling as though I'm walking on eggshells when I'm manoeuvring through the forums.

It wouldn't be as bad if there was an out-of-box solution for the new-scans, IE a catchall option to search for new messages in the past XX duration. Sure there are some hacks that'll let you get the last week's worth or so, but that's some really basic functionality that is embarassingly absent.

Truth be told the old BBS programs really blow away modern forum scripts in so many ways.

Leave a comment:

• Fusion
    replied
    Originally posted by veedee
    I wish there was a list I could add members to, like a 'consideration' list, that got them off my moderation list.
    veedee, just make a user-group identical to the moderation queue, with no access, move them there and voila, problem solved.

Leave a comment:

• veedee
    replied
    One thing that annoys me...

I moderate all new users. I have about 15 users a day. On the moderation list lies all the users, at the moment 70% of these are people I know are trying to login to cause trouble. So everytime I moderate the say 15 new members, I have to sift through the ones I know to be 'fake'

I wish there was a list I could add members to, like a 'consideration' list, that got them off my moderation list.

Leave a comment:

• Conscience
    replied
    personally... I know some people (in particular another administrator on my forum) who would be stuffed if the admincenter was just a cookie. He lives in a shared house and all the members of it post on our boards... you can image what happens when he forgets to lock his computer and the others get to it.... now we have been saved in the past coz admincenter was locked behind a user/pass nut imagine if it wasn't .

Leave a comment:

• Anime-loo
    replied
    begin a user of the ultimate bulletin board for years i had a hard time getting used to the new admin cp, it reminded me of ubb 5 so much and i never liked the ubb 5 cp one bit. i was always a fan of ubb 6's drop downs. but i soon got used to it.

the main thing i didn't like about vbulletin was the way all the words used where hard coded into the templates, or in the cp case the php. i fell that a wordlet system could help out alot.

1. it would allow the dev and the hackers to translate vbulletin easy. instead of having to hack all the templates and admin php files they could simply load up a wordlet file

2. again template hacking. it took me almost a day to change all the words i wanted to within the vb templates. if i had wordlets i could have loaded one or two pages and changed everything i needed

now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying copy infopop and make us load long pages of wordlets. but a new wordlet system for vbulletin would help out alot .

Leave a comment:

• VAN
    replied
    Well whattaya know....I just thought of another thing that irritates me.

The search term you specified (vb3) is under the minimum word length (4) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.
    Do you realize how many good, searchable words contain 3 or less letters? When you get an error like this, you gotta play search string scrabble in order to *try* and get the engine to find what you want.

Leave a comment:

• VAN
    replied
    Cool. I have a beef with vB that has yet to be mentioned in this thread!

Anyways, the process a user must go through in order to retrieve a forgotten password is waaaaay too involved. I don't have to go through that much verification when logging into my online bank account for cryin' out loud. Sure, we all want our boards to be safe and secure, but gimme a break.

I remember when I first tried to retrieve an encrypted password from the board. I felt like Agent 86 in the opening sequence of Get Smart. Sheesh.

Leave a comment: