X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richy T.
    replied
    Originally posted by qwaz
    Having these "ready made templates" handed to you doesn't help you meet anyone halfway.
    Get a book and read a few chapters.
    True, but I could also say for you to read a few different books on gas combustion engine construction/unibody frame manufacturing/suspension for dummies and build your own vehicle from scratch in your backyard. Not comparing apples to apples here but it's basically the same idea. I think most people would opt to run over to there local motor mile and buy one ready made. Most people have jobs and families that they must devote most of their time to without much time left over for our personal quests and hobbies, me being one of them. Heck, I purchased my vBulletin license back in February and it took me 4 months to get it installed.

It could easily be made an option in the license purchasing for x dollars more to have x templates available. I would have gone for that instead of having the default template up for numerous weeks. If you don't want it, don't buy it.

Leave a comment:

• Hooper
    replied
    Originally posted by Richy T.
    But like I said, it would be nice to have some ready made templates upon license purchase.
    I can see what you are saying. But to be quite honest, most wouldn't use them anyhow. You may take a poll on it and see what the outcome would be... I've done this and had a couple things added to vB. Like the search box located on each template.

But truthfully, most users are integration type folks who prefer to integrate the community with the look and feel of the current site.
    For these people, templates would be less than useless. The templates wouldn't work for most. It would be a very basic template indeed if it were to even be worked on.

As Kevin mentioned, what you really need to think about is getting the html down. At least to a point that you can design a simple template. It usually takes less than a couple hours not including any graphics that you want.

On one hand I see your point, but on the other I see how few would benefit from standardized templates. Personally I'm sure I would just delete them.

PHP and mySQL has nothing to do with html. You can create templates just by learning the vBulletin template system. It does take time. It's not always easy. But you'll find the education you get out of designing your own communities will be worth the time spent 3 fold.

PS. I just looked at the link you have for your www and the community on the racing page. It looks very nice. What's wrong with what you have there for your design? Looks nice to me.
    Last edited by Hooper; Fri 5th Jul '02, 10:09am.

Leave a comment:

• Paul J
    replied
    Having these "ready made templates" handed to you doesn't help you meet anyone halfway.

Get a book and read a few chapters.

Leave a comment:

• Richy T.
    replied
    Originally posted by tubedogg
    With all due respect to Richy T., if you are going to run a website you have got to learn HTML. We can only do so much and can only come so far...you have to meet us halfway. PHP knowledge is not necessary to modify the templates.
    I understand what you are saying. I am just totally new to entire html/php language. Yes, I am learning, but I am also extremely impatient when it comes to things like this. I am trying to meet you halfway, but my shoelaces are tied.

But like I said, it would be nice to have some ready made templates upon license purchase.

Leave a comment:

• Hooper
    replied
    What don't I like?

Not much really. In fact I like the program so well I wen't ahead and purchased some more licenses to work with.

I didn't even read the posts in this thread. I felt that if there were those that had issues with the software, that they could try out the competitions for comparison.

Maybe the post should have started out like "What improvements would you like to see with vBulletin?" This is always acceptable as there is always room for improvement with any software.

"What don't you like about vBulletin?"

Nothing really. I have some ideas that might help improve a few things, but nothing that I don't like about it.

Update: I didn't realize the thread was so old. I posted earlier in the thread but didn't have anything to say on the topic really. So above is what I think.
    Last edited by Hooper; Fri 5th Jul '02, 9:13am.

Leave a comment:

• tubedogg
    replied
    With all due respect to Richy T., if you are going to run a website you have got to learn HTML. We can only do so much and can only come so far...you have to meet us halfway. PHP knowledge is not necessary to modify the templates.

Leave a comment:

• Arkham
    replied
    Originally posted by Sinecure
    5) Calendar = the most useless feature ever No offence, but I don't know anyone who used it, and I'd be surprised if people used it to keep track of their "busy" lives ehhe I would personally scrap it, but I can see how its feature you have to have there, so you might as well keep it
    I always held the same opinion until I found that I could work with it as "events". I hope to have it used in conjunction with a custom forum to list national/international book events (releases, conventions, signings, store openings, etc...). Hopefully the 'new' calendar will make what I want to do even easier to accomplish.

But aside from that, I never used it and always considered it more clutter than convenience.

Leave a comment:

• Richy T.
    replied
    I would have liked to see ready made templates when purchasing your liscence. i.e. you could pick from the following 20 themes. Also, coding challenged friendly stuff. I stink at html or php and it would be nice to have something that would help me out.

Leave a comment:

• Kier
    replied
    Originally posted by Sinecure
    2) NavBar. Nothing worse then how the navbar isn'tintergreate into all templates. The > is manually placed in some templates
    That was one of the first things I changed for vB3 - all pages now include the navbar template
    5) Calendar = the most useless feature ever No offence, but I don't know anyone who used it, and I'd be surprised if people used it to keep track of their "busy" lives ehhe I would personally scrap it, but I can see how its feature you have to have there, so you might as well keep it
    Freddie has been doing some great stuff to the calendar for vB3. I sympathise with what you're saying about the vB2 calendar to a certain extent, but you'll find that in vB3 the calendar(s)() is a much more complete and useful system.
    6) I was talking to Kier about the private messaging in vb3, the way you guys are doing it sounds awesome

Leave a comment:

• Freddie Bingham
    replied
    It is funny how we get inquries into the support system regarding what the calendar can do and that it is going to be the deciding point on someone's purchase so some people do use it.

Leave a comment:

• Sinecure
    replied
    I'm a huge fan of vB. Having no experience with PHP I quickly gained experience in writing PHP, and also in HTML, etc.
    There are many things I like and some I don't.

1) The admin Panel. Keep it the way it is. I installed Invision Board, and I hated the drop down menu's they have. That was so annoying, it just ads more clicks , its just stupid. I LOVE the template system vbulletin has, and hopefully they keep that.

2) NavBar. Nothing worse then how the navbar isn'tintergreate into all templates. The > is manually placed in some templates

3) The forumhome template setup. In my opinion a lot of the template on that page could be simplified, making less HTML.

4) Mod CP, I actually don't think I've ever used it

6) I was talking to Kier about the private messaging in vb3, the way you guys are doing it sounds awesome

Keep up the good work guys

Another thing I would like to see is a moderator for the graphics and styles forum *hint *hint

Leave a comment:

• Mr. X
    replied
    If you want it to look like UBB/OT then edit the templates to make it look like it, theres nothing to prevent that whatsoever.
    I dont want to make my board look like a UBB/OT clone, all I want is to get rid of those double lines.

Leave a comment:

• floleb7
    replied
    only in english

Leave a comment:

• Anime-loo
    replied
    Originally posted by Razzie
    Seperate templates are an annoying thing in VB.

If, for example, you created a custom template (or even edited a given template) and want to update the html - you have to update ALL instances of that in ALL your created styles.

It would be much better to allow global template pages/changes from the admin panel.

If i remember correctly there is a hack over at org that will do this. but i could be wrong

Leave a comment:

• heretic
    replied
    it's already been stated that it will be possible in vb3 to edit all templates at once...

Leave a comment: