Wasn't this such a good post

Leave a comment:

• Fusion
    replied
    Oracle would so make my day.

Leave a comment:

• JamesUS
    replied
    I recently sold a copy of vB to a client who is a major UK company. They weren't particularly happy about MySQL but got there in the end

The kind of databases we would be looking to include in the future are Postgres, Sybase, MS SQL and Oracle. However these are quite a long way in the future as we first want to concentrate on getting the best codebase possible to work from.

Leave a comment:

• zachb
    replied
    FanHome.com has a sybase backend, but I dunno about Oracle.

Leave a comment:

• Anime-loo
    replied
    hi guys.

speaking of db's. i read in a old topic around here that someone had vbulletin running with Oracle, so thats good news, if anyone knows the forum im talking about please link it so some of the guys might be able to email the hacker that did that job .

im happy with vbulletin and mySQL, but if the devs start working on getting it to work with other db's that would be great. i would really like to see a microsoft SQL verson. i know a few people that would convert if it was made to work with microsoft SQL

Leave a comment:

• hypedave
    replied
    Originally posted by buro9
    Again, JelSoft occasionally wonder why they don't have as many corporate clients, well aside from the DB angle (we run Oracle, and Sql Server, would consider PostGres, but not MySql... irrelevant though as if the db layer were separated from the code we would be prepared to modify it) the core reason is that we cannot seem to get vBulletin to fit our requirements. It's the best board out there, I love it... but let's face it, it's currently architected for the small and medium site, non mission critical market... and this is a shame, as I want to use it at work and these are the two points that would do it... but no hacks please, it has to stand up to more strain than you can imagine.

Cheers

David K
    Hey david K,
    you are not alone man, I have had plenty corporate customer's that i have tryed to market vb to, only to find out that its only db option is mysql, many of them were for installing another db, when they already had db's like Oracle and *cough* Microsoft SQL.

I hear that after vb3 is out they will work on getting vb3 to work with other db's but I dont know if you db's you and me would like to see are in their to do list, but man it would be so nice to see vb3 work with Oracle or Microsoft SQL, talk about how many corporate clients they could pull in.

1 - their db is already in place
    2 - no training people who dont know mysql

I also run a private hostig company and we dropped installed vb, mainly because we had no reason to use it , if it wasnt gonna work with the db's we currently have, our staff is minimal no time to sit down and learn mysql, and we just didnt see a big need to have mysql and sql2000 on one sever. but hey im glad to see im not the only one in this situation, now if other vb customer's can speak up

Leave a comment:

• buro9
    replied
    Originally posted by wluke

Hmmm... Actually, as long as you have one installation of vBulletin on its own domain, you can point 76 domains, 2000 domains or 1 domain to it. We don't care how many sites you link to your forums.

Heck, you can even create 76 different styles and templates and cobrand your forums for each and every domain pointed to it if you want to.
    Well, we were looking in both cases of having it invisible to the end user. At the moment the company I work for produce 80% of football websites in the UK, basically all the official club sites for 76 clubs, each with their own domain... and we could not have them all point to forum.premiumtv.co.uk, as football fans would just flame each other until the cows come home, plus Premium TV is one of those invisible brands, we're not marketing ourselves we're marketing the clubs.

So we would want to make it so that you have forum.clubdomain.tld, for example forum.nufc.co.uk and forum.mfc.co.uk.... or even boards.lcfc.co.uk, etc, etc.

And whilst we want each club to control it's own styles and moderator queue and things like that, the actual codebase would only be one installation on one machine with virtual hosting or such emulation happening.

The key point is that we only want to admin one codebase, one database, one machine, one network... and then build necessary redundency into that. 76 installations would be hell, even just to update when a new version is released.

So... multiple sites running from one backend. The single core reason BT and now Premium TV have both had to build their own when both looked at and liked vBulletin... and as they were both prepared to pay single domain licenses for this, that's in excess of 100 licenses missed out on, plus the fact that corporations would be prepared to subscribe to a premium support package for 24hr response and taps into the development team when needed.

Again, JelSoft occasionally wonder why they don't have as many corporate clients, well aside from the DB angle (we run Oracle, and Sql Server, would consider PostGres, but not MySql... irrelevant though as if the db layer were separated from the code we would be prepared to modify it) the core reason is that we cannot seem to get vBulletin to fit our requirements. It's the best board out there, I love it... but let's face it, it's currently architected for the small and medium site, non mission critical market... and this is a shame, as I want to use it at work and these are the two points that would do it... but no hacks please, it has to stand up to more strain than you can imagine.

Cheers

David K
    Last edited by buro9; Tue 9th Jul '02, 12:11am.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by buro9

As for something I don't like, I don't like the fact that you cannot use one board for multiple sites... e.g. let's say I only want one installation, and for it to be on one host, i'm gonna use virtual hosting and point 76 domains at this one installation... i'll happily pay for 76 licenses (one per domain)... but i only want to admin and hack one set of source code... and I want the actual sites to show 76 different forums (styles, posts, users, etc)... so, I want one installation for 76 sites.
    Hmmm... Actually, as long as you have one installation of vBulletin on its own domain, you can point 76 domains, 2000 domains or 1 domain to it. We don't care how many sites you link to your forums.

Heck, you can even create 76 different styles and templates and cobrand your forums for each and every domain pointed to it if you want to.

Leave a comment:

• buro9
    replied
    Originally posted by freddie
    Of course, we extend it. Rewriting the code is the quickest way to introduce bugs and really make everyone mad.

vb3 changes a lot so you will have to withold your judgement until this. Don't expect to be overwhelmed with OO though
    Two things:

1) I wouldn't expect JelSoft to write OO code, even though I would want them to... they have benefited very heavily over the years by users creating hacks and aiding in the continual improvement of the product, this would be impaired by an OO architecture as OO is less accessible to new coders and those wanting to make changes, those slowing external development of the product to the products loss.

2) Even though I dearly wish for an OO architecture, and concede that we won't get it in the short term... I would love it if JelSoft could at least seperate the data access into another layer so that changing the database could be done through the replacement of this layer without needing to change the control layer.

As for something I don't like, I don't like the fact that you cannot use one board for multiple sites... e.g. let's say I only want one installation, and for it to be on one host, i'm gonna use virtual hosting and point 76 domains at this one installation... i'll happily pay for 76 licenses (one per domain)... but i only want to admin and hack one set of source code... and I want the actual sites to show 76 different forums (styles, posts, users, etc)... so, I want one installation for 76 sites.

I actually work at a company that wanted this, as did my prior company... both wanted one installation for multiple sites, and an Oracle back end. Both would have paid licenses for every domain, but only could afford the internal admin costs of one DB and one installation... both had to resort to very crap self-coded boards just to fit this requirement, yet both still desire more, but it's not catered for here... I would have liked to have been using vb at work... but as it stands, this is a end user product still and not a corporate one. Complaints earlier about crapper boards being used by corps... well this is one of the prime reasons why, core requirements supercede userability.

Cheers

David K

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Most people are easily able to install and upgrade vB by themselves. It's only in the more difficult situuations where someone needs to pay for these services.

Leave a comment:

• PicanteGamer
    replied
    Well the $135 may be well spent, but I think it isn't to good making customers pay that each time they want to upgrade.

Leave a comment:

• JamesUS
    replied
    I'm just going to pipe in here and say that we are considering including more styles as an optional extra with vB 3...though very likely nothing extra will be included in the beta versions. If we do include any they will almost certainly not be available until vB 3 final is released.

You'll hear more about it during the beta period.

Leave a comment:

• Arkham
    replied
    Originally posted by Richy T.
    I think you hit it right on the head when you said that "everyone's been in your position at some point". It's just frustration talking.
    I know... I'm in a similar boat being without vB and designing my site around it. Not knowing it better hampers the details, so I'm concentrating on the softer skills.

Okay, let's see...

-- The chances of an official template package distributed with vB3.0 is unlikely. But the new default style should be kick-a$$. Or at least better than the current purple. (Currant? )

-- There are lots of templates available here and at www.vbulletin.org, www.vbulletinaddons.com, and www.bbaddons.com.

-- www.vbulletintemplates.com just opened. Despite what the name suggests, (it's not full of template downloads! )it's geared to users who want to know more about how templates work, how they can make their own, and to discuss and share templates with others. This may be a great place for you to check out next, if you already haven't.

-- While I'm not able to get down'n'dirty detail-wise with vBulletin, I'll help you find some templates if you let me know what you're looking for. I'm developing my own on paper and in Photoshop now, learning as much non-vB stuff to get a leg-up on things, and I come across lots of different vB sites and templates in my daily travels. I might be able to give you a hand.

How come my sigs won't work? I see others with them on. No, don't tell me, another code language.
    HTML isn't enabled due to security concerns. You can use the custome vBulletin "BBCodes" though.

Leave a comment:

• Richy T.
    replied
    I do understand where all of you are coming from. I do a lot of searches on here and have found numerous answers. Not doubting the value of this community one single bit.

I think you hit it right on the head when you said that "everyone's been in your position at some point". It's just frustration talking.

How come my sigs won't work? I see others with them on. No, don't tell me, another code language.

Leave a comment:

• Arkham
    replied
    Originally posted by Richy T.

True, but I could also say for you to read a few different books on gas combustion engine construction/unibody frame manufacturing/suspension for dummies and build your own vehicle from scratch in your backyard. Not comparing apples to apples here but it's basically the same idea.
    In this case it's more like picking up a driver's pre-license manual rather than mechanics' textbook. If you wanted PHP and MySQL, then I'd use the mechanics' book as the example.

I can sympathise. But a couple of years ago after picking up a basic HTML book (Visual Quickstart Guide to HTML 4 was great) I just flipped around the book and compared it to my paper design, and poof... By just looking up what I needed I had the skeleton done in a week.

You don't have to know HTML fully inside and out in order to do what needs to be done with vBulletin, especially with the resources at your disposal (here, and at www.vbulletin.org and www.sitepoint.com).

Besides, there are *tonnes* of excellent free templates out there that you can use out-of-box and modify where appropriate, if at all.

Good luck! Don't forget that you're not alone, and everyone's been in your position at some point. This is a fantastic community.

BTW, your HTML signature won't work in forums that have disabled HTML, like this one.
    Last edited by Arkham; Fri 5th Jul '02, 11:09am.

Leave a comment: