Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• samtha25
    replied
    I hope it's something more flexible than yet another phpnuke or slashdot clone.

Leave a comment:

• Hooper
    replied
    Originally posted by wluke

Correct on all accounts.
    It's a pluggin for vBulletin and sold separately.
    But yet it doesn't use vBulletin categories to post nor allow you to reply to articles posted out of the forums. A stand alone product? But yet not a stand alone product?

So, you don't use vBulletin to post the articles, and you don't reply to the article in the forums. Yet it is an optional pluggin for vBulletin that cannot be sold/used separately?

Sounds like PHPwebsite or a Nuke type prog w/vB database integration using the vBulletin CP to post and the db to store the pages?

[opinion]

My thoughts on a vBCMS....

Use the community to post articles. Output data to standard template pages of your choosing. Alternatively, post the article within the admin cp and have it output to a category of your choosing as well as a template. Either way, the articles are not by default being read in the community (unless they are browsing the articles in the community), so no one knows they were posted there unless they link back to reply. The articles are read on standard pages that pull the content from the vB database from a thread. Link back to the category for the reply within the community.

Hardest part of the code is the page dividing and numbering system. As far as the template used for articles, this is stored in the vB database. There are also files that hold the php include information that have the actual article layout. This is also a php include called into the template page.
    --------------------------------
    Posted in an articles category with permissions set to allow for replies only.

Page 1
    <pagebreak> (hidden)
    Page 2
    <pagebreak>(hidden)

Outputs content to pages and divides and numbers automatically. Just creates another static page from the template stored in the db.

For a topic starter with readmore:

Content Content Content ...
    Page1
    <pagebreak>(hidden)
    Page2
    <pagebreak>(hidden)
    page3

The ... was a call to stop the article at that point and create a read more link using whatever images of your choosing....arrow etc...

Click on the read more and it takes you to page one. Page numbering starts there. These are the hidden calls. You can make it look nice and have a "new page" button if you like. Still the underlying function is the same.
    -----------------------------

No? - - Yes?

----------------------------
    This is a stand alone product that uses separate files. It requires vBulletin to work. When you are ready to start another page you simply type in <pagebreak> (button if your fancy) and the script will start page numbering. This is completely hidden. Type ... and the page will start a small news heading with a readmore link. All variables can be changed from the cms_config file that logs into the vB database to pull the thread ID info.

I'm like everyone else. Trying to picture what the vBCMS is all about. Whether it is a "truly" integrated system that runs right along with vB, or an addon that works independently using the CP to input articles out to templates that don't actually connect in any way back to the community. This would be basically as posted above. A "Slashdot", "Nuke", "PHPwebsite" type system with the replies being posted outside of the community. Exception? Allowing your own templates to be stored within separate tables of the db and posts being made from the vBull CP?

I wouldn't like the idea of separating article posts and replies from the community. This type CMS is already available for free download.

My whole concept of a vBCMS is that somehow the article be displayed in the community (whether or not actually posted from there) and replies to the article take place there. All articles would be read from your standard page templates, they are just pulled from the db. Nothing says "powered by vBulletin" or powered by "vBCMS" except the community as it currently does.
    No site page vbulletin branding like vBportal in other words. It should be suitible for commercial sites that use vBulletin communities as well as the non-commercial sites.

[/opinion]

I guess we'll see.

Last edited by Hooper; Mon 8 Apr '02, 6:00am.

Leave a comment:

• Freddie Bingham
    replied
    It will be a vb3+ only product.

Leave a comment:

• samtha25
    replied
    Correct on all accounts.
    Will the CMS require vB 3? Could it be used with vB 2? I'm not relishing the thought of trying to get an XHTML Transitional bulletin board to work well for our Netscape 4 users (not looking for a debate on supporting N4).

Leave a comment:

• tubedogg
    replied
    Not yet.

Leave a comment:

• Max_Radius
    replied
    Do you have any available info on the price structure for the new stuff ?

Leave a comment:

• jam583
    replied
    Originally posted by Unknown553
    Isn't Sinecure's signature in violation of the rules as well?

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied

Correct on all accounts.
    ok, and thank you for replying

CMS - way cool !
    plugin/module - yeah !
    optional - good!!
    not free - bummer .. but I can live with that
    not stand alone - great addition to vb users!! keep it this way

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by xiphoid

The CMS is a seperate product (plugin/module) for vBulletin, optional, but not free. And can not be used stand alone? (vBulletin required?) .. ?
    Correct on all accounts.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied

Yes, it will be a separate product that you only have to install if you need it.
    The CMS is a seperate product (plugin/module) for vBulletin, optional, but not free. And can not be used stand alone? (vBulletin required?) .. ?

Leave a comment:

• Unknown553
    replied
    Isn't Sinecure's signature in violation of the rules as well?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by samtha25

So the CMS is going to be separate from the forums software? Interesting.
    Yes, it will be a separate product that you only have to install if you need it.

Leave a comment:

• samtha25
    replied
    Originally posted by freddie
    Our only current plans are to get vb3 out the door and then the CMS.
    So the CMS is going to be separate from the forums software? Interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Hooper
    replied

You're sig is smashing the bandwidth again. Pages are timing out when you post and my lights dim.

Leave a comment:

• George L
    replied
    Originally posted by xiphoid

Hahah, love your signature :P

(But I love eva2k's more)
    who doesn't ? no need to answer that

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X