Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do Members here Think about Flat Rate Support with Upgrades / Updates included ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
    There were no such things as vB 1-2-3 licence there was only licence for vB, valid for upgrades for 1 year.
    It was possible to renew it for another year or two or more.
    Oh, I think I get it.

Until vBulletin 5 where you had to purchase a new license, you were only required to renew your license at each new series (vB2, vB3, and vB4).

So, that changes the question: why aren't they allowing renews, which is probably cheaper, for vBulletin 5?
    Former vBulletin user

Comment

Originally posted by Amaury25 View Post
      Oh, I think I get it.

Until vBulletin 5 where you had to purchase a new license, you were only required to renew your license at each new series (vB2, vB3, and vB4).
      There were renewals for a year.
      You did not like vB x.1.1? Skipped it.
      x.3.3 was not better? Skipped it.
      So, that changes the question: why aren't they allowing renews, which is probably cheaper, for vBulletin 5?
      You buy the cat in the bag. Pay for 4.x because it will be the software of the Century.
      It was not? Buy 5.x because it will be for sure.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

You guys are getting way off track...I will edit the first post to clarify...
        I do like the debate...
        But what I am saying is look at top.

- - - Updated - - -

I started out like this...
        Bought Lifetime lic and normal lic for VB 1.8 I think that was the version...
        As long as I paid i believe 35 a yr I could update all patches right up to 3.9 or whatever the versions were just shy of 4.0.

Lic means you can have it running on an active web site that is all...
        Has nothing to do with getting support or access to this site.

As long as Support was paid you could as I just mentioned get all patches and even version updates...

When a new series with more options such as vb 4 Publisher comes out even though I have lifetime lic,
        (means I can run on web indefinitely...)
        I still need to purchase that software package then I can get all future updates to that series...as long as I paid support.

Now that 5 is coming out I already bought it, I am looking at a month of support Ticket after it goes gold then I will not be able to get ticket support or updates. Unless I pay 149 I think for the yr of support and access to this site.

Seems a lot simpler just to charge a flat rate for everything come up with a price that V bull can live with as well as its members and we would be able to access everything we may or may not need or use...
        That would be up to the individual...

- - - Updated - - -

Hey would you guys also Vote...lol
        Please either way is fine to me...

Amaury25
        You will need to have an active lic to run the software online...

For instance you come here you buy VB4 today since 5 is still buggy...you purchase one yr lic.
        at the end of the yr, you need to either remove the software off line or come back and renew the LICENSE...

If you do not VBull can legally Sue you.
        Don't know if they have done that or not do not care since my lic is Lifetime anyway...
        You also do not have to pay for the support just the lic.

If you do not pay for the support you will not be able to download any patches or updates, just the original version you had active lic for...and you will not have access to this site.

You need access Via support to download updates for that version of VB like 4 or for v5 you need to buy a lic for that specific version...

If you do pay support for instance you bought 4 like I mentioned for a yr lic, and you paid for the support for a yr. At the end of the yr you are supposed to shut down the site or renew lic.
        the update patches they issue from 4 up to 4.70 would be able to be downloaded for that yr only, if the next day they released v4.75 you would not be able to download that.

I can give you a real time example right now...

There are a lot of members in here (most members running V4) they still want bug fixes and updates for that specific version...Just like windows did for XP when they upgraded to Vista...
        they still supported the older version...How long will vb continue supporting the older version, that is a question only they can answer...

ok hope this gives you a good overall understanding...
        Last edited by Inspector G; Fri 28th Dec '12, 6:31pm.
        Here I go again...
        I have 15 Live members on my site...So even if you want to bash me stop in and visit please...
        www.freedomofspeech.cc
        ... Been around for yrs

Comment

Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
          When vBulletin 4 was released, some of the customers running vBulletin 3 needed to buy a license in order to install it.
          The rest could run it because with their valid renewal they were allowed to install it.
          I believe you were only allowed vB4 up to when your vB3 licence expired. This generally only gave access to the 4.0.x series.
          Baby, I was born this way

Comment

And that was all to do with honouring existing licenses under the previous licensing structure.

Such a scenario would not apply this time.
            MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Paul M I dig that avatar...lol

My question is this...
              Vbull staff and all the members here that have posted but only 1 other person has voted...

Don't any of you guys have an opinion...
              Or Am I asking a herd of sheep ?
              Come on somebody Vote I would like to see what everyone thinks about the idea...
              Don't even care if you say Stick to things they way they are..at least that would be a NO...
              What gives folks?
              Last edited by Inspector G; Fri 28th Dec '12, 6:44pm.
              Here I go again...
              I have 15 Live members on my site...So even if you want to bash me stop in and visit please...
              www.freedomofspeech.cc
              ... Been around for yrs

Comment

It's a stupid idea that would benefit no one. And this is a stupid thread in a long line of stupid threads. I'm embarrassed that I bothered to vote no.

There you go. Now you have my opinion.
                Psychlinks Web Services Affordable Web Design & Site Management
                Specializing in Small Businesses and vBulletin/Xenforo Forums

Comment

+1
                  Baby, I was born this way

Comment

Originally posted by Paul M View Post
                    +1
                    +2, I guess.

I was only asking those questions out of curiosity.
                    Former vBulletin user

Comment

Originally posted by Inspector G View Post
                      Hey would you guys also Vote...lol
                      Please either way is fine to me...
                      They do not vote because you are confusing them.

For instance you come here you buy VB4 today since 5 is still buggy...you purchase one yr lic.
                      at the end of the yr, you need to either remove the software off line or come back and renew the LICENSE...

If you do not VBull can legally Sue you.
                      Used to be a leased license which worked that way,but that does not exist anymore.
                      Would you like that to come back?

Make a poll for that, people might vote yes or no.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Originally posted by Amaury25 View Post
                        Upgrades are only when you upgrade the current series you're running (e.g., 4.1.12 -> 4.2.0). However, like Pro said, vBulletin 5 isn't an upgrade, it's a new series, just like the previous ones.
                        • When vBulletin 2 was released, customers running vBulletin 1 needed to buy a license in order to install it.
                        • When vBulletin 3 was released, customers running vBulletin 2 needed to buy a license in order to install it.
                        • When vBulletin 4 was released, customers running vBulletin 3 needed to buy a license in order to install it.
                        • When vBulletin 5 was released, customers running vBulletin 4 needed to buy a license in order to install it.
                        This is not the case. The licensing structure changed with the release of vB4. Prior to that, there were two types of license; owned and leased. Neither was tied to a specific version of the software. Leased gave you rights to run the software and obtain new versions for 12 months, after which you either paid again or took the site offline. Owned gave you the right to run the software for life but you had to pay an annual renewal fee to obtain new versions.
                        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
                        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Finally a Vote even a NO is fine I see thats what the last one was...
                          Well I bought Lifetime back then and still have it.
                          Here I go again...
                          www.freedomofspeech.cc
                          ... Been around for yrs

Comment

Originally posted by Inspector G View Post
                            Finally a Vote even a NO is fine I see thats what the last one was...
                            Well I bought Lifetime back then and still have it.
                            The votes have gone up to 4 now. 2-2.

Comment

I just read the other post, was unaware they changed it, thats how long ago I bought that lifetime Lic. 2002
                              I am not trying confuse anyone...
                              The lic would expire and if you did not renew they would have expected to not see it online, thats cool they did that.

I do not just post useless threads, maybe others, I am sure have posted the information in fact most questions get asked about a thousand times in here. thats why I put it in chit chat...
                              Typical with any support Bulletin Board...
                              How do I do this How do I do that...over and over...

I do not mind how anyone votes...
                              I honestly was curious if folks would rather simply pay a single rate every yr and get access to everything...

Seems kinda simple to me.

But, I will do whatever they do here since I do actually love the software when it is tweaked in...
                              If folks think that a single month of support and updates is enough then they do not want to pay for support after that, so be it, I will pay because there will still be bugs and fixes even after a yr of gold...Seen it before.

Maybe I am too old for the new folks since they had no clue what I was saying...
                              That just proves that even though I grumble a bit I still do like the sioftware and I really do think it is worth it...
                              I also have to complement support around here it is a bit better than it was in past. Good effort.

Last note...for a worthless post...hmmm it seems to have killed some time. and the votes are finally going up..a bit..lol
                              I know many users, and only a few votes, so I guess now I know...No one really cares. Just give me my software answer my questions and Cya later..

Ok I will not bump it it can die.
                              Thanks to everyone for posting and voting that has. No matter if you disagreed or whatever.

Thanks djbaxter thats all I was looking for.

And NO I would not like to see the lease beishe8 as you mentioned come back. I was unaware they had changed it...lol
                              Thanks to all of you ...
                              Here I go again...
                              www.freedomofspeech.cc
                              ... Been around for yrs

Comment

Everything is different now and better in my opinion. As Mark said you either leased and had to renew each year to stay on line or buy and still had to pay for upgrades each year if you wanted to upgrade to new version. You still had to pay for some support. Most support was on forum. That was just forum software. You now have Blog, Groups and Album that didn't exist then. So there is more to getting support with many more members. Which makes it harder to provide support for a flat rate. You still can run your owned 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 sites for life. but you no longer are paying for upgrades each year.

The poll is useless because it really isn't fair. Of course I would rather pay one flat rate if I got all uprades and support forever. But if a company did that, they would be out of business fast or would never be upgrading anything. Entitlement society again. You do the work and I benefit.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X