Is it just me or is this site slow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just me or is this site slow?

After viewing the title you would think I meant traffic-wise, but I mean slow as in load speed. Does anyone else notice that this site (as well as vBHacks.com) loads a little slower than it has been in the past couple of days?

Not only do I notice it here, but in my vB Admin Control Panel (seeing how the top part loads from here - the version# and all).

I was just wondering though, is it just me or is there a problem?

(all other sites load fast on my cable modem, just vBulletin.com & vBulletin.org do no load as fast).

SaintDog

It seems to be really, really slow for me as well.
    Matt
    Sybase DBA / PHP fanatic
    Sybase v. MySQL v. Oracle | Why I don't like MySQL | Download Sybase TODAY! | Visit DBForums.com!

Comment

Yes it is slow here at the moment. The server load seems to be quite high, so I presume that's what's wrong. But unfortunately we have to wait for someone 'in the know' to come online to fix it

Comment

Yep, slow slow slow... But it's starting to pick up... I think.
        - James
        http://forums.smaaash.com

Comment

Yes, it seems both the apache and mysql servers have a very high load right now (both between 6.0-8.0)... I haven't been able to find any processes or problems on the servers yet, and there don't seem to be alot of people on any of the sites.... right now I suspect a denial of service attack, but I can't confirm this yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Schreiber
            Yes, it seems both the apache and mysql servers have a very high load right now (both between 6.0-8.0)... I haven't been able to find any processes or problems on the servers yet, and there don't seem to be alot of people on any of the sites.... right now I suspect a denial of service attack, but I can't confirm this yet.
            Can you just kill all of the processes real quick, or reboot? That would surely help for a minute either way.
            We're Here Forums!
            [email protected]

Comment

I've already rebooted both servers.... this helped for a minute, but the loads went right back up again

Comment

Have you checked /var/log/messages, apache's error log, and apache's access log?

We get hit by stupid nimbda-type clones and add their IPs to the firewall as needed. Lots of junk in the error log would tend to point to a nimbda-type attack and of course looking in the access log could show a bazillion requests from a single IP (or several) which would help.

I know you know all of this, but it is for my benefit mostly -- that is how I have handled the problem and I'm wondering if that is the 'best' method or if you guys have any other tricks up your sleeve?

Oh also a lot of bounced e-mails tend to bog down our servers as well. So I always check that.
                Last edited by MattR; Mon 25 Feb '02, 12:07pm.
                Matt
                Sybase DBA / PHP fanatic
                Sybase v. MySQL v. Oracle | Why I don't like MySQL | Download Sybase TODAY! | Visit DBForums.com!

Comment

Well there are some things in the messages logs which concern me now, on the apache web server:
                  Code:
                  Feb 25 14:59:30 linux***** kernel: possible SYN flooding on port 80. Sending cookies.
                  And on the database server:
                  Code:
                  Feb 25 15:55:50 linux***** kernel: eth1: card reports no RX buffers. 
                  Feb 25 15:55:52 linux***** kernel: eth1: card reports no resources.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Schreiber
                    Well there are some things in the messages logs which concern me now, on the apache web server:
                    Code:
                    Feb 25 14:59:30 linux***** kernel: possible SYN flooding on port 80. Sending cookies.
                    And on the database server:
                    Code:
                    Feb 25 15:55:50 linux***** kernel: eth1: card reports no RX buffers. 
                    Feb 25 15:55:52 linux***** kernel: eth1: card reports no resources.
                    Played this game before- turned out to be hardware fault on the NIC- snoop the interface on the webserver
                    http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Dave#
                      Played this game before- turned out to be hardware fault on the NIC- snoop the interface on the webserver
                      Thanks Dave, I have Verio looking at the NICs now.

Comment

It doesn't seem to be slow anymore, it was super slow for me about 30 mins ago.

Comment

its gettin better i though maybe someone wacked a router
                          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

It's not as fast as it usually is but is has definitely sped up in the last couple minutes.

Comment

Lets see ......
                              Seems okay for me now...pretty fast- maybe just slightly slower than before but not much at all.

Comment