X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jucs
    replied
    Amazing...

How do you keep track of having that many mods!?

A database in itself?!

Leave a comment:

• alexi
    replied
    Ok Matt you had to go and get me jealous of your Sybase... sigh...

Leave a comment:

• Call_Me_Jared
    replied
    From the forums that I come from, we call people who post a lot 'post whores'.

Leave a comment:

• MattR
    replied
    People generally e-mail or post "Hey I'd like to help out with XYZ Forum". If they have a good reputation on the boards generally we mod them. Also, current moderators nominate a lot of fellow posters to help, which usually we act on if we think the forum needs another mod.

Leave a comment:

• pgowder
    replied
    How do you handle picking moderators?

Leave a comment:

• MattR
    replied
    pgowder,

We occationally prune when we run out of disk space (although haven't done it since maybe August of 2001?) but now that we've expanded drives to 36GB SCSIs we've got more than enough room to keep them all around. So what you see is the current number of posts in the DB.

Users average 600 to 800 with our highest since I last reset was a couple days ago at 901 online. Our max ever was 1070 on MLB trade deadline.

Alexi,

Sybase is very cool about backups. I can backup the entire ~9GB database (indexes, data, etc.) in around 20 minutes with the database on-line and with little or no performance penalty. What is also nice is that Sybase will compress the backup so that it is really around 4 to 5GB. Quite cool.

Congrats on hearing your 5,000 posts per day -- that's a great achievement and something to be proud of -- I can only think of a handful of vBulletin boards that have that many per day!

Leave a comment:

• absix
    replied
    Originally posted by eva2000
    oooooooooooh nice

congrats Matt!

Leave a comment:

• alexi
    replied
    Wow I thought our mill and a half took forever to back up! can't imagine....
    We have 50 mods for about 5000 posts a day on a weekday
    We are amazed ourselves.. we just went over our logs with Web Trends and a fine tooth comb cause we thought there was something weird but the numbers pan out!

Leave a comment:

• pgowder
    replied
    Wow, that's amazing!

Congrats!!

Do you prune the messages at all?

How many user do you average online?

I'm always amazed at the DIS Forums that seem to always have 600 people online.

Leave a comment:

• MattR
    replied
    For the most part, yes. We try and remove moderators who haven't been around the site in a while (they don't moderate well if they've been gone for a month!)

Leave a comment:

• Joe Gronlund
    replied
    Originally posted by MattR

Thanks.

We have around 200 moderators and I think 4 or 5 super mods.
    200 moderators? active ones?

Leave a comment:

• Chen
    replied
    200 mods?! *does the face with the long tounge thing*
    My old forum didn't even have 200 members.

Leave a comment:

• MattR
    replied
    Originally posted by FireFly
    a. Oh my god... very nice going! Congrats.

b. Who the hell reads these 8,000 posts every day? How many moderators do you have?!
    Thanks.

We have around 200 moderators and I think 4 or 5 super mods.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Gronlund
    replied
    Originally posted by FireFly

b. Who the hell reads these 8,000 posts every day? How many moderators do you have?!
    i do, i work online for microsoft gotta do something in my spare time, how you doin chen havent seen ya around lately

Leave a comment:

• Chen
    replied

Leave a comment: