X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by xilian View Post
    Hm. Had a look at the demo now, and I agree. Moving away from a fantastic forum-system
    to look more like facebook and all that crap? Whats the point of that?
    People might aswell use facebook then.

vB4 is grrrreeeeeat, we just need a better cms-solution!
    I keep seeing people complain it is "like Facebook" and I don't really see that. It's still a forum system. It borrows from some of the functionality that Facebook has popularised, such as Likes, sharing photos etc, but these are features that are starting to permeate the entire web because people like them.
    Other than that it is still VERY MUCH a forum system....you post topics, you reply to topics, you quote posts....it's the same.

I think as the bugs get fixed and the whole thing speeds up it will become a bit clearer what it's aiming to do.

Leave a comment:

• xilian
    replied
    Hm. Had a look at the demo now, and I agree. Moving away from a fantastic forum-system
    to look more like facebook and all that crap? Whats the point of that?
    People might aswell use facebook then.

vB4 is grrrreeeeeat, we just need a better cms-solution!

Leave a comment:

• DirtRider
    replied
    Well after playing with the demo board so far I think it is severely lacking in forum features. The best change has been the way it handles media and this was the one thing I found that VB4 did not do that well and a third party gallery was needed.

However looking at the way VB5 works to me it is for the person that has a Facebook page and now needs to move on to something more powerful. Really not for the hard line forum users that is for sure as we are now starting to look like a FB clone. I cannot see this enhancing my community that is already established. However if I were to start a new forum it may be a possibility but that is a huge maybe

I now know how the hardcore VB3 user felt when VB4 was released and it looks like we now sit in that same positions. Coming from SMF to VB I went straight into VB5. I wonder how the still hardcore VB3 user are now feeling seeing that support of that is now at an end

So overall I am rather disappointed that not even 2 years down the line it is time to start looking at other forum software

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by xilian View Post
    hmm.
    Will there be a problem adding my ads like I have here? www.modellflynytt.no?

I'll probably start upgrading when CMS is available
    Advertising placement is controlled through placing modules on your pages. You can place the modules anywhere except within other modules except in the case of the Blog Sidebar.

Leave a comment:

• xilian
    replied
    hmm.
    Will there be a problem adding my ads like I have here? www.modellflynytt.no?

I'll probably start upgrading when CMS is available

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    vBulletin 4.x is still being developed and is still supported. Please do not post mis-information.

Leave a comment:

• Hall of Famer
    replied
    Guess I won't. I used to have a forum which upgraded from VB3 to VB4 back in early 2010, but it broke almost all existing templates. My assistant admins werent able to make a VB4 style since it was way too difficult compared to VB3, the new stylevars system made no sense to them. This problem was partially solved with VB4's style converter released a year later, but it still aint helping my poor stylers who continued to struggle with VB4 styles. I am not sure what VB5's template system will look like, it will be way too risky to attempt a move like this knowing that there is basically no way back once you click the upgrade button.

My current forum still uses VB3.8 actually, thought I would upgrade to VB4 someday when it finally becomes better than VB3.8. Looks like VB4 will never be better than VB3.8 now that its development will be replaced by VB5. I shall keep an eye on VB5 and its development status, but it will be significantly more attractive to VB3 for me to push for an upgrade.

Leave a comment:

• Paul M
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
    4.2 will be usable for many years yet.
    Even after its declared EOL, it will still get security fixes, and even when they eventually stop, its likely that (a) very few new security issues will happen, and (b) 3rd parties will provide fixes.
    However, thats way in the future yet, 4.2 is barely over 3 months old atm.

Leave a comment:

• AlexanderT
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
    Amen.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied

Leave a comment:

• craigvm
    replied
    how i see it by the time vb4 is not supported all the fixed should be done anyway so there`s no reason why it cant be used for as long as you like i know a very big forum still running on 3.8.i certainly intend to just stay on vb4 now

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by 14DH01 View Post
    which amounts to saying made ​​the upgrade to "v5".
    Somewhere we are forced sooner or later to upgrade
    I guess if you want to read it that way. We still have customers running active successful websites using vBulletin 2, 3.6, 3.7 and 3.8 along with a full spectrum of vBulletin 4 versions. No one has ever forced them to upgrade.

Leave a comment:

• 14DH01
    replied
    which amounts to saying made ​​the upgrade to "v5".
    Somewhere we are forced sooner or later to upgrade

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by 14DH01 View Post
    in this case continue updates for previous versions
    We do actually... vBulletin 3 got updates and support for over a year after vBulletin 4 was released. As far as I am aware we plan on updating and supporting vBulletin 4 for at least a year as well.

Typically we support two versions back from the current release. So when vBulletin 5.0 is released, we would provide support and fixes for 4.2 and then 4.1 would get security fixes if needed. When 5.1 comes out, we drop security fixes for 4.1 and support 4.2, etc...

Updates will not occur indefinitely though. Software has an end of life. Typically 18-24 months after release.

Leave a comment:

• 14DH01
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul M View Post
    Then you make the decision not to upgrade
    As has been said many times, its not a forced requirement.
    in this case continue updates for previous versions

Leave a comment: