Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vBulletin5 : will you upgrade ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
    vB5's feature set has not yet been announced, other than the screenshots already released.
    Can't wait till they are.

    I think I would upgrade, though I will probably stick with 4.2.x for a while.

    Comment


    • #77
      Originally posted by Paul M View Post
      Pretty sure I am.
      Now are you sure Paul? I mean there has just been a weekend where ya could have been havin a few drinks. You sure you not mistakenly woken up and thought you were a programmer? :P
      Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

      Comment


      • #78
        I really want this product to have stronger LinkedIn, YouTube, Twitter and other Social Media functionality built in. LinkedIn is most important to me. The ability for people to click an icon and then have news feeds from my site display in their linkedin news aggregator, and ability to send favorite articles to their Linkedin friends. Its common on most news websites, but not easy to do on vBulletin.

        iPad and iPhone functionality is second most important to me. If it doesnt have high quality iPad or iPhone, dont know if i will continue using it after 9-years. Dedicated vbulletin user, but really need major leaps in innovation as forums and desktop computing are outdated and mobile computing is common place.

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by fusion2 View Post
          I really want this product to have stronger LinkedIn, YouTube, Twitter and other Social Media functionality built in. LinkedIn is most important to me. The ability for people to click an icon and then have news feeds from my site display in their linkedin news aggregator, and ability to send favorite articles to their Linkedin friends. Its common on most news websites, but not easy to do on vBulletin.

          iPad and iPhone functionality is second most important to me. If it doesnt have high quality iPad or iPhone, dont know if i will continue using it after 9-years. Dedicated vbulletin user, but really need major leaps in innovation as forums and desktop computing are outdated and mobile computing is common place.
          I much agree. The same goes for automatically posting content from vbulletin to social media and for receiving notifications on instant messengers. The net has become much more social and vbulletin needs to be connected to all social mediums, and incorporate all social needs.
          I buy 420 forums

          Comment


          • #80
            I'll wait for vb6...

            The reason is simple, when a newer version is rolled out, it carries several bugs that arent fixed for months, then you start upgrading your custom hacks and when you are ready to move on to the newest version, you get an email from IB announcing a newer version... it doesnt make any sense, other than selling new licenses.

            Comment


            • #81
              Wouldnt vb6 then be a new version for you to wait on vb7? LOL
              Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

              Comment


              • #82
                Think I'm going to upgrade but not as soon as it's out, probably a few weeks at least.
                Aakif Nazir

                Comment


                • #83
                  We currently use 4.2.0 patch level 2 (the latest version) and we use the Content Management System. We got an email today telling us the timing for release of the new version entitled vBulletin 5 Connect Release Plans. This says

                  "The primary elements of vBulletin 4.2 that will not be in the 5.0 version of vBulletin 5 Connect are CMS/article publishing, Mobile Suite, the Facebook app, paid subscriptions and non-English versions of the product. These components will be released as follows. "

                  It goes on to say that there's an intention to release something like the CMS but there are no timelines and it won't be the same as the old CMS.

                  So the bottom line is that (short term) if you are using vBulletin 4.2.0 with the CMS you won't be able to upgrade and use your content anyway.

                  In the medium to long term you may be able to but it depends upon how well your content is transferred from the old CMS to whatever it is that is replacing it.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by jdj View Post
                    We currently use 4.2.0 patch level 2 (the latest version) and we use the Content Management System. We got an email today telling us the timing for release of the new version entitled vBulletin 5 Connect Release Plans. This says

                    "The primary elements of vBulletin 4.2 that will not be in the 5.0 version of vBulletin 5 Connect are CMS/article publishing, Mobile Suite, the Facebook app, paid subscriptions and non-English versions of the product. These components will be released as follows. "

                    It goes on to say that there's an intention to release something like the CMS but there are no timelines and it won't be the same as the old CMS.

                    So the bottom line is that (short term) if you are using vBulletin 4.2.0 with the CMS you won't be able to upgrade and use your content anyway.
                    That's not true at all.

                    The primary elements of vBulletin 4.2 that will not be in the 5.0 version of vBulletin 5 Connect are CMS/article publishing, Mobile Suite, the Facebook app, paid subscriptions and non-English versions of the product. These components will be released as follows.

                    We will release the first update to vBulletin 5 Connect approximately 4-6 weeks after the 5.0 launch. This release will be focused on bug fixes, and will also include various non-English versions of vBulletin 5 Connect and possibly paid subscriptions.

                    The next piece of this phased initial release will bring to vBulletin 5 Connect article publishing capabilities similar to the current CMS in vBulletin 4 Suite. Tables and content for the current CMS will be imported into a new content channel regardless of whether the upgrade is done before or after this update, but that content will only be usable afterwards.
                    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

                    TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
                    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by Paul M View Post

                      It does.
                      I agree that the product does function without modification; in fact it functions best without modification: What we have discovered about it is that you are better off trying to use it without modification and make the most of it's features, because modifications just cause problems at upgrade. The best feature to be introduced recently to vB4 (in my view) was the navigation manager. At the moment though vB5 looks less useful than vB4 in the soon-to-be-released form because in the short term there's not going to be a CMS.

                      We don't know at this stage what's going to replace the CMS or when it's going to be out (and the email is pretty vague about when it's coming out if you read the email carefully).

                      - - - Updated - - -

                      Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                      That's not true at all.
                      What the email says is "..the next piece of this phased initial release will bring to vBulletin5 Connect article publishing capabilities similar to the current CMS in vBulletin 4 suite."

                      So if you are presently using the CMS you won't be able to risk moving over to the new vB5 until you have found out what "similar" means and have had the time to test it. At the moment, if you read the email carefully, you'll see that the timelines for release of whatever it is that replaces the CMS are pretty vague.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by jdj View Post
                        So if you are presently using the CMS you won't be able to risk moving over to the new vB5 until you have found out what "similar" means and have had the time to test it.
                        The above would be true with any feature in any major upgrade, so that sort of thing really doesn't worry me.

                        A lot of people have stated vocally they don't like the way the vB4 CMS functions, so the fact that they plan to make changes to it should be good news anyway.
                        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

                        TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
                        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                          The above would be true with any feature in any major upgrade, so that sort of thing really doesn't worry me.

                          A lot of people have stated vocally they don't like the way the vB4 CMS functions, so the fact that they plan to make changes to it should be good news anyway.
                          Should be good news?...it may be good news. What happened though in the move from vB3 to vB4 was that we had the new stylevar system; but we had no style generator and whilst there is now an index in the manual of what each stylevar does, there was not one then. So if you needed to re-skin your site during the upgrade that committed you to a lot of unanticipated work. And there were glitsches with the early CMS that had to be fixed, or which took you and your users time to get used to them.

                          We've now become used to the idiosyncracies of the CMS, and the way we got around them is to train our admins on how the CMS works and produce user guides on the CMS for the users who want to post their own content. Content is king; so it's not just a question of what we've learned to do with it, it's also a question of how we get our users accustomed to the change and how long that might take because if it goes wrong we lose our existing content and our users will struggle to generate new content.

                          At the moment we don't know how intuitive 'son-of-CMS' is going to be or how it will perform; we don't know whether the upgrade will happen smoothly without any loss of content; we don't know what it will look like and whether we'd have to spend two weeks trying to learn to use it and another two producing user manuals for our users.

                          As for timings: It's not clear to me from the email whether vB5 Connect Including son-of-cms is planned to be released 4-6 weeks after the release of the first vB5 connect; I'm not hung up about that but I'd prefer 6 weeks for something that works because having something in 4 weeks that doesn't work is going to waste 3 weeks of my time anyway, if I upgrade.

                          However, right now we know we can't upgrade even if we want to because we know there isn't going to be a CMS in there. And that's the same for anyone considering an upgrade who is presently actively using the CMS and who might, in their enthusiasm to upgrade, miss the fact that the CMS won't be there...

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            very interesting ...

                            in fact - i saw so much peopel her to look for and good cms with vb tech. It is crazy that there exist no simple solution.

                            Looking forward - lets see which feature will come.

                            MG

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              I was unaware that we have to pay a $150+ fee per new release. That's ridiculous; as much as vB5 entices me, I can't imagine it exceeds the design and structural standards set out by IP.Board 3. My forum moved from vBulletin because we had the worst experience with vB4, and considered downgrading to vB3. IPB3, however, has exceeded our expectations and is just an overall gorgeous product. vB5 really looked great, but the fact that I will have to spill out another $150 dollars in order to get it, that absolutely scares me off.

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Originally posted by tvguy347 View Post
                                I was unaware that we have to pay a $150+ fee per new release. That's ridiculous; as much as vB5 entices me, I can't imagine it exceeds the design and structural standards set out by IP.Board 3. My forum moved from vBulletin because we had the worst experience with vB4, and considered downgrading to vB3. IPB3, however, has exceeded our expectations and is just an overall gorgeous product. vB5 really looked great, but the fact that I will have to spill out another $150 dollars in order to get it, that absolutely scares me off.
                                No pricing details have been released yet. You certainly won't get vB5 for free but no actual prices have been announced, so the "$150" is pure speculation.
                                MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

                                TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
                                AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

                                Comment

                                Related Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X