This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obviously both polls will be "biased"

I think having used 5.x UBB heavily for a long time, and now vB (for almost a month) that vB is far superior in features, performance, security, and ease of use, and user interface. My forum members love the new features after having moved from UBB (search, Poll, PM, buddy lists, ignore lists, topic rating, topic sorting, topic views, custom styles, Whois Online, Avatars), and the faster speed even though it is supporting more users than my UBB install ever did.

I like the vB Custom title feature where users who are part of a grp I setup, can setup their own title anytime. This saves me and my mods headaches about custom title requests and it's very popular with regular users.

UBB 6.x/5.x is for upto 100 users concurrent max., if you don't want to stretch your resources and want a simple interface and simple setup with minimal features.

vB seems to be working for me (so far I have seen conc. users touch to 225) upto 225 with all the features that would make UBB as it is crawl. I still have to fine tune vB and I expect it to run upto 250-275 concurrent max. That is great for my web site as more members will sign up if they see the site is busy.

My cost for hosting remained about the same!

Surprisingly I have received ZERO complains from users regarding problems since I upgraded from UBB to vB even when we have about 350+ active threads (including new posts) and thousands of page views (60k+) everyday.

I don't know what IP may say about copying features but if they keep repeating this lame excuse then their software will be ditched by new users.

Software products work in a competitive environment... of course all software companies copy features from each other as long as nobody has a Patent on them. What's wrong with it? It's a free market.

Comment

doesn't UBB still use a flat-file system? CGI?

I'd say that that's enough to kill all arguments in favor of UBB.

I have vB and I've had UBB in the past, I really find UBB something for those on webservers without mysql and php support, but that's it. If you have php and mysql, why on earth use UBB?

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
        You can't, thanks to a certain other company...
        What happened there? Did you guys have a feature comparison list on the main vB site and were forced to take it down due to some company disputing it? Would you mind sharing the company name?

I'm very interested now!
        Well, there it is.
        - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

Originally posted by MasterMind:
          It makes me mad. vBulletin slobs its features on ineffeciently, stealing its design from UBB and features from UBB hackers...

</end rant>
          omg! that's the funniest thing ive read all day.. seriously has he LOOKED at vBulletin? Yup... vB looks *SO* much like UBB... what?

What happened there? Did you guys have a feature comparison list on the main vB site and were forced to take it down due to some company disputing it? Would you mind sharing the company name?

I'm very interested now!
          Hmmmm.. yesss.. me tooooo

Comment

UBB needs to just do a whole re-coding, instead of just trying to patch things up here and there. Thats when code becomes sloppy, and you get left with the "tremendously fast speed" of ubb, lol

vB = Fast, Tons of Features, Yummy default Purple
            UBB = Slow, Basic Features, Dull Default Grey

I'm telling ya, the only reason I bought vB was so I could show all my friends the default purple style lol
            Board of the Month: November
            Websites: Pixeljunction , vBulletin.org
            Button Sets: XP and Aqua Button sets! FREE!
            vB Customization: My sig is now vbulletin compliant. Contact me to make yours compliant too!

Comment

As a regular joe who has posted on both types of board (I have my own vB but someone else does all the work on it ) I have to say that there is not comparison - vB all the way. How anyone can defend UBB boggles the mind.

Comment

One thing I noticed in a thread on IP was that they were claiming that they "invented" certain features. Is this a possible copyright/patent infringement battle in the works?

Comment

Guys, you should remember this is MasterMind's comment:

It makes me mad. vBulletin slobs its features on ineffeciently, stealing its design from UBB and features from UBB hackers...
                  and not InfoPop as a whole. I doubt they would blatantly lie in such a fashion.
                  Christopher Padfield
                  Web Based Helpdesk
                  DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Oh, and the simplest thing to do to decide what type of forum is "popular" as that is all you are doing posting in these types of places is find out how many people moved from one forum type to another. Find some users (are there any?) who have moved from vbulletin to ubb and then find some users who moved from ubb to vbulletin. Which are happier and why did they move. This will help you determine what is popular but to determine what is better you need to consider your own needs and which software best suits it. Most of us here have made that decision for ourselves but we can't really make it for you
                    Christopher Padfield
                    Web Based Helpdesk
                    DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Originally posted by Sinecure
                      I'm telling ya, the only reason I bought vB was so I could show all my friends the default purple style lol
                      Could you have just taken them to the forums here? LOL.

-Vic

Comment

Why are they using OT as UBB support forum anyway?
                        Why is that UBBDEV removed search all forums feature?
                        Why is that UBBDEV removed threads column at forum main page?
                        wonders
                        yeah whatever
                        vB rules
                        You're my Prince of Peace
                        And I will live my life for You

Comment

is this really even necessary? lol this is a vBulletin forum not to mention vBulletin itself, oh well i voted vBulletin anyway
                          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by nuno
                            Why are they using OT as UBB support forum anyway?
                            Why is that UBBDEV removed search all forums feature?
                            Why is that UBBDEV removed threads column at forum main page?
                            wonders
                            yeah whatever
                            vB rules
                            give em a few months , will probably close down
                            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Just close this post, its pointless and will just bring a flamewar

Comment

Yes I am closing this post. Threads like this will only stay open if the participants are able to constructively discuss the differences, negative or positive, between our product and our competitors.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X