Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The answer to subscription sites??

Hi,

I'm very excited to have just come across http://www.perlcoders.com/scripts/in...amid/info.html

Didn't know anything about it, and was just browing SitePointForums.com

Was wondering what people thought of it? Anyone used it? Anyone knows how easy it would to integrated with vBulletin?

Take a look if you've not seen it - looks to be very exciting!!

Cheers,

Ross

I'd be interested if people have feedback as well. I have a subscription model and am looking to do this possibly.
    http://www.softballfans.com
    The Ultimate Softball Community
    Forums, Bat/Equipment Reviews, Team Page Hosting and more!

Comment

sounds more like a pyramid scheme system than a membership system. not sure where the emphasis has been placed on the program... I would be interested in a decent solution, I currently have a self written hack for subscription at my forums which I am going to expand for vb3 but a full website implementation might be nice.
      Christopher Padfield
      Web Based Helpdesk
      DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Re: The answer to subscription sites??

Originally posted by rawnet
        Hi,

I'm very excited to have just come across http://www.perlcoders.com/scripts/in...amid/info.html

Didn't know anything about it, and was just browing SitePointForums.com

Was wondering what people thought of it? Anyone used it? Anyone knows how easy it would to integrated with vBulletin?

Take a look if you've not seen it - looks to be very exciting!!

Cheers,

Ross

Are you serious? That's a pyramid scheme...

BTW, the digital wombat/Playboy Bunny logo on your website: How are you affiliated with Playboy?

Comment

I currently have a self written hack for subscription at my forums which I am going to expand for vb3 but a full website implementation might be nice.
          Chris, where is this? I looked on your forums and do not see this implemented.

Comment

subscribers basically see different tempates (no banners), there is a show subscribers page that lists subscribers, there are special logs for subscibers, there are stars for how many subscriptions they have and a few other limits removed.
            Christopher Padfield
            Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

OK, I found it in the upper right corner. I was just curious how you implemented it. Thanks.

Comment

with vb3 I hope to have a fully featured add on script that can manage this sort of thing for you.
                Christopher Padfield
                Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

Bit NEgative!!

Arkham,

You're bit of a grumpy bugger aren't you!!

Did you look at the site properly before making such a judgement? It is pyriamid/multi-level-marketing, yes. Does this make it bad?

Whilst I stear clear of these schemes, I do believe it's slightly different if we're running a system for our own sites. As Chris points out, it's important that the focus is on the membership, and not the rewards. If such a system was promoted on merits of - "refer 10 members to get free membership" - then this could be very attractive to members. If they get 10% of subscriptions (monthly subscriptions, not one-off) then by referring 10 members they effectively get free membership. Refer more and it's a bonus for them. The 10% that they receive effectively acts as an affiliate scheme.

A "pyramid" scheme usually involves recruiting others to recruit others, etc. This is one level. And anyway - it's the site owner's discreption how they promote such a system - I just think it's worth discussion. Obviously not.

Digitalwombat is a personal site. In what way are you affiliated with negative grumpy sods?

Comment

Re: Bit NEgative!!

Originally posted by rawnet
                    It is pyriamid/multi-level-marketing, yes. Does this make it bad?
                    Actually yes, IMHO.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Re: Re: Bit NEgative!!

Originally posted by smachol
                      Actually yes, IMHO.
                      all it is is an affiliate program tagged together with a subcsription system. what i can't understand is why they merged the two together. If they were seperated there would be no problem but they way it is presented is just looks like MLM when in fact it istn' really.
                      Christopher Padfield
                      Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

Have you seen any pure affiliate programs you'd recommend? Just a plain x% per sale and it tracks the stats etc.

Comment

A pyramid system is not 1-2 level like this - it usually involves recruiting others below you, and you get a cut of their percentage, etc.

This puts the site owner at top, and effectively makes every member an affiliate automatically.

That's it - the relationships goes no deeper than that, but this isn't made clear unless it's read properly and understoof - it can be a pyramid, as their script has that power, but I would only see one level deep relationship.

The reason for having members as affiliates automatically is to encourage them to become members - I feel they are more likely to sign up for a monthly, recurring billing if they feel that they can refer x members to effectively get free membership, and everyone then benefits.

Anyway, opinion is obviously rather divided!!

Not an option for me as they refuse to support the Windoze platform.

Chris's script for vb3 sounds like it will be a winner though!!
                          Last edited by rawnet; Thu 14 Feb '02, 11:34am.

Comment

There is a difference between MLM and Pyramid schemes - the former is legitimate and legal, the latter is not.

Comment

Personally I have never really heard a valid difference between the two, it is just MLM schemes generally nothing ever gets sold bar membership to the scheme whereas pyramid schemes only work if something is sold. the theory is still the same and on this case it would really be more MLM because you have to pay to join the scheme (ie subscribe) instead of pyramid where you could sell subscriptions without actually subscribing yourself.
                              Christopher Padfield
                              Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X