Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to start up a new forum from scratch....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I too am looking to build a member only forum from scratch. I want to start with just one chat area that registers members-attracted by internet searches for a like community that we will offer- that can be moderated. Then I will need to add additional chat/forums from that "public" area for specialized purposes- private from the main area (like for officers of the community), an area for newbies to get up to speed and so forth.
    I have domains-I'll chose 1
    I have an acct with Hostgator (from failed attempts at this-LOL)
    Vbulletin is the ONLY forum set up I like from seeing other forums.

So beside the Vbulletin software, what else will I need to buy and does Vbulletin have everything I need to complete this?
    I have a 19 yr old son looking to help his old Mom with this because I have not enough techie to pull this off.
    I have yahoo groups, FB pages I manage, websites by Weebly I have managed to publish-but all those were not difficult. Do I have what it takes to do this?

Thank you!
    Barb

Comment

It is possible if the hosting company is not making money with hosting products but with selling domains. I myself have 8 GB disc space and 250 GB bandwidth.

Comment

Originally posted by barbavery View Post
        I too am looking to build a member only forum from scratch. I want to start with just one chat area that registers members-attracted by internet searches for a like community that we will offer- that can be moderated. Then I will need to add additional chat/forums from that "public" area for specialized purposes- private from the main area (like for officers of the community), an area for newbies to get up to speed and so forth.
        I have domains-I'll chose 1
        I have an acct with Hostgator (from failed attempts at this-LOL)
        Vbulletin is the ONLY forum set up I like from seeing other forums.

So beside the Vbulletin software, what else will I need to buy and does Vbulletin have everything I need to complete this?
        I have a 19 yr old son looking to help his old Mom with this because I have not enough techie to pull this off.
        I have yahoo groups, FB pages I manage, websites by Weebly I have managed to publish-but all those were not difficult. Do I have what it takes to do this?

Thank you!
        Barb
        when I first started I thought an ftp was akin to something from outer space and didn't feel comfortable installing and upgrading the software so I opted for a hosting company that installs and updates your software (i used urljet.com) they are dearer than a diy host but I had little choice, now with a bit more experience and trial and error I am now on a cheaper diy host and do all my own upgrades.

Comment

this may help you out
          -- Web Developer for hire
          ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

Hello.

I, as a low level computer user, would love a step by step guide through the very initial stages of this entire process. I've signed up with siteground hosting as I await my download of the software - I just purchased the VB5 latest - and now I apparently require some other essential goodies to get things under way.

An informative, lamen's terms list would be greatly helpful.

I already know that I am one of the more dreaded individuals on the forum: the unwelcome and unwanted noob.

- - - Updated - - -

vBulletin is a Magento site? No? I remember coming across Magento along the way somewhere, and my host has set up a Magento system....I apologise for the apparent stupidity.

Comment

Magento is not part of vBulletin Forum Software, however it is used on vBulletin.com for purchases, you may have seen it there. vBulletin doesn't have shopping cart type ability so we needed to use something else.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X