Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do Admins manage banned users who reregister again & again ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• krs-one
    replied
    Originally posted by Maiji
    If there clever they use a proxy server and IP banning won't work. Nor will placing a cookie will, either. Cookies are to easily deleted. You cannot ban someone for good.
    Uhh, isn't that what I just said?

"It's absolutely impossible to have true banning. You have dynamic IP's and people with multiple email addresses. You can contact their host though and tell them about the problem. It helps."

-Vic

Leave a comment:

• Nafae
    replied
    Adding the cookie feature couldn't hurt anything, I think it is a valid idea (along with keeping the ip/hostname banning)

More icing on the cake, as they say!

Leave a comment:

• JWB
    replied
    Thats what I was thinking.. A lot of teens who do stuff like that are to stupid to know how to clear their cookies anyways; if when a banned user logged on it gave them a "nono" cookie then no matter what it would not let them do anything.. Not only that make it act like it's letting them register but once they submit never email them the confirm and stuff.. Real agrivating .. I know a lot of smart people could get by it but it would help..

Also on many computers you can do a trace and get a mac address, and sometimes a unique computer name.. If you could rig the server up to do that it would be nice.. I have blackice and it gives me mac addresses of many scanners. I know mac addresses are unique for every device.. Just some thoughts

Leave a comment:

• Maiji
    replied
    If there clever they use a proxy server and IP banning won't work. Nor will placing a cookie will, either. Cookies are to easily deleted. You cannot ban someone for good.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Gronlund
    replied
    Originally posted by Nafae
    find out their address, then email me. Your problems are SOLVED!

Leave a comment:

• Redmak
    replied
    The users that cause the most problems and are hard to ban know their way around computers so coockies wil be no match for them.

But I do agree, it's an one extra usefull option.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Hewitt
    replied
    What I would like to do is someway where when you ban a user it places a cookie on their system. Thus if they try to re register it will deny them as long as the cookie is present. (Ideally there should be a way of saying nobody using that particular computer is allowed to use the board, but I don't think theres any other way to detect that).

Obviously cookies can be deleted but many of the users that get banned are not that smart.

Leave a comment:

• Redmak
    replied
    Originally posted by Milliardo Peace
    We simply ban them again and again. I guess there should be a feature on the next vBB which blocks banned users from entering again?
    Don't think that's possible since they pick a new name, email address and can get a new ip.

So how do you know it's the same user?

Leave a comment:

• Mark Hewitt
    replied
    Well we've had one guy who registers and posts normal stuff for about 3 weeks so we don't suspect anything. Then he goes off on one, posting pron etc This has been going on for about 2 years now!

There was one yesterday where we had to ban him because he was trolling the boards, registered a couple more times and got banned instantly. IP ban stopped him from registering again (well at least while he had that IP)

Leave a comment:

• Nafae
    replied
    Originally posted by krs-one
    You can contact their host though and tell them about the problem. It helps.

-Vic
    Or our friendly forum problem solver*, Nafae

My prices vary per customer

Leave a comment:

• krs-one
    replied
    It's absolutely impossible to have true banning. You have dynamic IP's and people with multiple email addresses. You can contact their host though and tell them about the problem. It helps.

-Vic

Leave a comment:

• Milliardo Peace
    replied
    We simply ban them again and again. I guess there should be a feature on the next vBB which blocks banned users from entering again?

Leave a comment:

• Nafae
    replied
    find out their address, then email me. Your problems are SOLVED!

Leave a comment:

• Redmak
    replied
    Block the email domain.
    Block the ip
    Block the hostname (through .htaccess)

But banning them over and over again is most usefull. Just set 'Verify Email address in registration' to 'yes' that will make it more work to register over and over again with a different email address.

Leave a comment:

• CondorZ
    replied
    Just say NO. Four or five chances?

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X