Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do Admins manage banned users who reregister again & again ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do Admins manage banned users who reregister again & again ...

Hi I have a few users who are obnoxious to other members. These members complain like kids (well,they are teens).

After repeated warnings they have gotten banned. But they then beg and beg, and register other accounts and creep in. So my mods and myself and another admin decide ok fine let's give him another chance.

But there is no change the member is obnoxious again and gets banned again. This ban, unban routine keeps going on for 4-5 times, and then ends up in IP ban, user ban etc.

Now the user is begging for forgiveness and all that crap and wants in again. Shoots off 3-5 emails to the webmaster and other members.

So the question is, how do you guys manage such deranged crackheads who swear they cannot live without the forums etc.?

These are basically teens with cable connections and nothing else to do, mind you.

I am thinking along the lines of a restricted group to test them out (as someone else suggested here) for a few weeks and then give them normal access slowly.

Any other suggestions? IP bans etc. don't matter for these crackheads as you all know well.

??

Don't un-ban them. At the first sign of their return ban them again. 4-5 times is way too many times for forgiveness if you ask me.
    Well, there it is.
    - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

ban their IP as long as its not a proxy.
      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
      Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

It's a fricking proxy server IP that's the prob.

Comment

Just say NO. Four or five chances?

Comment

Block the email domain.
            Block the ip
            Block the hostname (through .htaccess)

But banning them over and over again is most usefull. Just set 'Verify Email address in registration' to 'yes' that will make it more work to register over and over again with a different email address.

Comment

find out their address, then email me. Your problems are SOLVED!

Comment

We simply ban them again and again. I guess there should be a feature on the next vBB which blocks banned users from entering again?

Comment

It's absolutely impossible to have true banning. You have dynamic IP's and people with multiple email addresses. You can contact their host though and tell them about the problem. It helps.

-Vic

Comment

Originally posted by krs-one
                    You can contact their host though and tell them about the problem. It helps.

-Vic
                    Or our friendly forum problem solver*, Nafae

My prices vary per customer

Comment

Well we've had one guy who registers and posts normal stuff for about 3 weeks so we don't suspect anything. Then he goes off on one, posting pron etc This has been going on for about 2 years now!

There was one yesterday where we had to ban him because he was trolling the boards, registered a couple more times and got banned instantly. IP ban stopped him from registering again (well at least while he had that IP)
                      Motorsport Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Milliardo Peace
                        We simply ban them again and again. I guess there should be a feature on the next vBB which blocks banned users from entering again?
                        Don't think that's possible since they pick a new name, email address and can get a new ip.

So how do you know it's the same user?

Comment

What I would like to do is someway where when you ban a user it places a cookie on their system. Thus if they try to re register it will deny them as long as the cookie is present. (Ideally there should be a way of saying nobody using that particular computer is allowed to use the board, but I don't think theres any other way to detect that).

Obviously cookies can be deleted but many of the users that get banned are not that smart.
                          Motorsport Forums

Comment

The users that cause the most problems and are hard to ban know their way around computers so coockies wil be no match for them.

But I do agree, it's an one extra usefull option.

Comment

Originally posted by Nafae
                              find out their address, then email me. Your problems are SOLVED!
                              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X