No announcement yet.

SOPA / Protect IP / PIPA Block Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And just as I was pressing "post".... http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/meg...-we-need-sopa/

Comment

One interesting thing to note (correct me if I'm wrong): They [MegaUpload] have only been accused. So by that logic the government now needs only to accuse you of doing something in order to destroy your business? Due process, out the window.

This is insane and it is a huge liability for any user-generated content website out there. No due process, taken down before they even had the chance to defend themselves. If a mere indictment is cause enough to shut it down, what's next?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...RBQ_story.html

Given how the owners [of MegaUpload] actually did do a pretty decent job at working with content owners and removing known copyrighted material, this is just going to be a slippery slope from here on out. What these actions are saying is that the users [of the site] dictate the final purpose of a site and that the owners can be prosecuted for it even if they follow law and allow for take-downs.

In an apparent reference to the latter location, a source has just informed TorrentFreak that the FBI are currently detaining everyone at the ISP Cogent Communications’ headquarters in Washington DC, in connection with a Mega-related search warrant.
      Bad day to be a datacenter too - http://torrentfreak.com/megaupload-shut-down-120119/
      - Maurice Workin' in the Jira mine, goin' down, down, down

Comment

Good point.

Comment

Originally posted by Maurd View Post
          One interesting thing to note (correct me if I'm wrong): They [MegaUpload] have only been accused. So by that logic the government now needs only to accuse you of doing something in order to destroy your business? Due process, out the window.

This is insane and it is a huge liability for any user-generated content website out there. No due process, taken down before they even had the chance to defend themselves. If a mere indictment is cause enough to shut it down, what's next?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...RBQ_story.html

Given how the owners [of MegaUpload] actually did do a pretty decent job at working with content owners and removing known copyrighted material, this is just going to be a slippery slope from here on out. What these actions are saying is that the users [of the site] dictate the final purpose of a site and that the owners can be prosecuted for it even if they follow law and allow for take-downs.

Bad day to be a datacenter too - http://torrentfreak.com/megaupload-shut-down-120119/
          This is indeed terrible news for all websites today. :/

Comment

SOPA / Protect IP / PIPA Block Out

I went dark on all my sites..
            ------------------------------------------
            Steve
            DM Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
            CN Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
            TheFaFClan Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
            Audi Spirit Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)

Comment

Originally posted by Maurd View Post
              DMCA only requires notice of copyright infringement to remove affected material. It has no due process. They already have the tools for this without SOPA/PIPA.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Apparently what I read this morning (not entirely sure if it's true or not) is that one of the Opposition leaders pulled the SOPA bill due to too many people taking offence to it.
                Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence Cole View Post
                  Interesting. So if they were able to do this where legitimate piracy really did exist, then there should be no need for SOPA/PIPA
                  The US Government can already take away your website for an indefinite period with no due process. SOPA/PIPA just makes it easier.

As usual, the RIAA and MPAA have taken the absolute wrong approach to encouraging sales -- declaring war on their customers.

Comment

SOPA has been retracted. PIPA is still up.
                    I buy 420 forums

Comment

SOPA will kill the web. This is a big problem to all the people who likes the 2.0 world.

Comment

According to the posts above SOPA will no longer kill anything, at least not in its current form.
                        Baby, I was born this way

Comment

Paul,

I`m brazilian and I want to ask something:
                          Here the people says than Obama will not vote in this S.O.P.A law. This is truth?
                          I readed than with the SOPA the Google will need to pay for all the piracy links, and Wikipedia will need to pay too, because a lot of information was retired of copyrighted books.
                          The vBulletin is for or against the SOPA?
                          Sorry about my poor english...

Comment

SOPA has been pulled. It's not happening at the moment. Not to say it wont be resurrected in future, but not now.
                            My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                            vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                              SOPA has been pulled. It's not happening at the moment. Not to say it wont be resurrected in future, but not now.
                              This is great! Thanks, Mr. Obama!

Comment

Originally posted by s.molinari View Post
                                Aren't there other more pressing issues in the States right now than having to worry about IP protection?
                                Probably depends on whos paying your bills.
                                Baby, I was born this way

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X