Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SOPA / Protect IP / PIPA Block Out

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Paul M View Post
    Hmmm, so this is why I couldnt get on wikipedia earlier.

    Great.

    The only effect its having is annoying people who want to look up something.
    Your avatar would be considered infringement under this bill, thus vb.com could be taken down without any due process.

    Comment


    • #17
      Paul M falls just to the right of George Bush. You're not going to sway him. Human rights are an "annoying" inconvenience for him.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Mycologist View Post
        Your avatar would be considered infringement under this bill, thus vb.com could be taken down without any due process.
        Only if Jim Davis was a dick.
        My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
        vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

        Comment


        • #19
          Im sure they could already dream up loads of technically true [but ridiculous] reasons to close a web site, without the aid of any new laws.

          Shutting of access to wikipedia (esp for anyone outside the USA) for a day isnt going to have any effect on the people making the decisions here.
          Baby, I was born this way

          Comment


          • #20
            The problem with sopa is that if I say here on vBulletin a picture is used with out permission of the copyright holder the site would be closed with out investigation. So instead how it goes now you can close sites in a day with out hearing the other party.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Paul M View Post

              Shutting of access to wikipedia (esp for anyone outside the USA) for a day isnt going to have any effect on the people making the decisions here.
              It's about raising awareness. After the US the UK will likely be the next port of call for Murdoch and his lackeys.

              Comment


              • #22
                Namecheap just joined in

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by sdebank View Post
                  It's about raising awareness. After the US the UK will likely be the next port of call for Murdoch and his lackeys.
                  If you want to raise awareness, you put a big banner on the site, not remove access to it.
                  I would think most of the poeple today who cannot get access will have no idea why, and probably just put it down to a fault.
                  Baby, I was born this way

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by we_are_borg View Post
                    The problem with sopa is that if I say here on vBulletin a picture is used with out permission of the copyright holder the site would be closed with out investigation. So instead how it goes now you can close sites in a day with out hearing the other party.
                    The same thing for Protect IP which is The Senate's version of the bill. It's just worked in a lighter tone, but is the same thing.

                    SOPA would read something like (simple example)

                    We're going to own you b**ch

                    While the Protect IP bill would read (simple example)

                    We're going to close your site Mr X

                    Same things, but worded differently. I think Protect IP has been written more "simple" and "friend" so that SOPA will take the heat and seem like a harsh bill, so that Protect IP will pass easily without notice. And the same results will apply.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by smackLAN View Post
                      Google cache is your friend. As to the topic at hand, seems to be just another part of this "protest" mentality in the world today and really sort of stupid considering the legislation won't pass anyway (and no, not because of these "protests").
                      You can also get around it by turning off JS, via NoScript, or adding "|h t t p://meta.wikimedia.org/w/*" (no spaces) to AdBlock Plus, if you use it.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        php (php.net) has joined too

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Paul M View Post
                          I would think most of the poeple today who cannot get access will have no idea why, and probably just put it down to a fault.
                          No, Wiki doesn't use vb so the outage will be a surprise.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by sdebank View Post
                            No, Wiki doesn't use vb so the outage will be a surprise.
                            What is the connection with using vb ?
                            Baby, I was born this way

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              So far every website I have even a remote interest in or need to visit is still operating as usual. Those taking a "stand" impress me not. I wonder how many of the 7 billion on the planet feel as I do? I would venture to guess a majority. Tomorrow will come and all these blackouts will be over and life will go on and everyone will have to find something new to get outraged by or freaked out over...personally I have better things to waste my time on
                              RazorThemes ~ Cutting Edge Designs

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Wired.com has censored their site

                                Popular web game, Mine Craft has also blacked out their site

                                Name.com has joined

                                WhatIsMyIP.org has blacked out

                                The Day LoL Cats Died

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X