Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your opinion of using RSS feeds from other sites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your opinion of using RSS feeds from other sites?

I came across this:

The RSS feature on our site is not
    intended, nor is it to be used, as an invitation for any entity to replicate, reproduce, and/or rebroadcast our content in part or whole. Nor is it an invitation for any entity to aggregate all or part of our content with the content of others, even if a link to our material’s URL is included.
    How enforceable could this be?

Some RSS feeds are just to alert you something has been added or updated. Those like the one you infer, view posting the RSS feed a copyright infringment. If they wanted to push it they could file a lawsuit.
    Jeeze I'm glad AnimeNewsNetwork isn't like that. With almost 3000 feeds posted at my place I'd be in real serious trouble...

Comment

Would they win the lawsuit? What if I only post the title and link to their story. How could an article title and link back to that article be copyright infringement?

Comment

Originally posted by testerv View Post
        Would they win the lawsuit? What if I only post the title and link to their story. How could an article title and link back to that article be copyright infringement?
        Probably. More than likely though they'll just issue a DMCA order or whatever the EU equivalent is and just have your site deleted from the internet. You should be able to find the same information elsewhere in a way that allows sharing and linking.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Any time you republish copyrighted material, you're at risk of a DMCA letter.
          -- Web Developer for hire
          ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

Doesn't my DMCA notice prevent that?

Can anyone name two sites that were actually deleted from the internet?

Comment

what?
              again, what?
              there have been many sites removed from the internet from posting copyrighted material
              Was that your question?
              -- Web Developer for hire
              ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

No.. YOu can't circumvent the law by putting a notice on your site.

I won't give exact URLs but we have sites using vBulletin without a license deleted from the internet weekly.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I thought the sites just had to pay a fine/judgement and remove copyrighted material. If they could still afford to stay afloat they could.

Comment

I thought the sites just had to pay a fine/judgement and remove copyrighted material. If they could still afford to stay afloat they could.
                    Depends on the company that owns the material. Since the DMCA says that the hosting provider is violating copyright by having it on their servers they can be contacted.

Some companies will try to contact you with a take down notice. If the item is removed then good. If they can't contact you then they can file a lawsuit which is expensive or messy. Or they can send a DMCA notice to the hosting provider threatening to shut them down if the offending material is removed. Not wanting to be shut down, the hosting provider removes the offending materials, which often times means removing the entire site.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

If you are worried about people copying your stuff make your forum private so that everyone must login first to see what is going on.

If you are wanting to copy some other site's stuff you have to cite it as well. So that they know where it's come from.

Best way to do it is look for RSS tags on the site and then go into your RSS manager and follow the prompts there. Even have an account that's set up for it.
                      Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                      Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

Originally posted by Loco.M View Post
                        Any time you republish copyrighted material, you're at risk of a DMCA letter.
                        Except when you have received permission from the content owner.

(Oooh, I hope you kept that PM from me about my articles.. )
                        My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                        vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                          Except when you have received permission from the content owner.

(Oooh, I hope you kept that PM from me about my articles.. )
                          Well said.

I will give you a great example.
                          A sports website that I used to post on had gotten into some trouble for publishing the articles from a leading Australian newspaper franchise. This franchise took the sports website to court over copyright issues.
                          We as users got asked to cite the link and put the article in quotes and then acknowledge where it came from then provide the link again.

As for RSS goes if they allow people to use rss then it shouldn't be a problem just use the rss manager to set one up.
                          Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                          Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                            I won't give exact URLs but we have sites using vBulletin without a license deleted from the internet weekly.
                            That happened to us; sort of... a bit of a saga...
                            Before my time the site was hosted by a reseller who also installed vB for us.
                            When we left that hosting and went to a different hosting plan the reseller grabbed our vB and built a site using our kit.
                            I presume it was detected by PirateReports about 12 months after it started. (its was 3.8)
                            The main hosting provider wiped that account from the resellers machine, database and all.
                            He restarted with phpBB got bored, then gave that site to some of its members, who then moved hosting and migrated back to vB (legally).
                            Knowing all the parties involved it was funny to watch.
                            environment: Centos 6.9, Apache v2.4.25, PHP 5.6.30/xCache, MariaDB 10.22 -- vB5 Connect Licensed

AusPhotography - Australia's Premier Photographic Forum vB4.2.3
                            Rick (site owner) and Kym (site tech) sharing this account

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X