No announcement yet.

Help me undersand DNS and Nameservers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me undersand DNS and Nameservers.

What does this statement mean? It is in regards to a host migrating a vb site to their hosting service.

we change the Nameservers but we keep the same DNS records that point your site right back at your previous host.

That seems quite contradictory. DNS stands for domain name server and if you change hosts you need to point the nameservers at the new hosts IP Address.

Comment

http://www.howstuffworks.com/dns.htm
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

I asked them for more info and this is what they said,
        We change the nameservers first which takes 24 hours, and point the web site right back to the current host. This way nothing will be affected.
        I have no idea how they did that.

Comment

You can make a DNS record point to any IP address. You can make different parts of the record (e.g. email, ftp, www) point to individual IP addresses if you want. Doesn't really make any sense to point to an IP address that isn't under your control though.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

If you enter your domain here www.intodns.com that will tell you what your nameservers are, what IP they are pointing to, if there are any errors and loads of other stuff

Comment

That link shows me that there must be some difference between "Domain NS records" vs." NS records from your nameservers". They somehow changed the NS records from my nameservers and now want me to change the Domain NS records--I am pretty sure I do that from my registrar.

How did they change the NS records from my nameservers?

Comment

What's your domain?

Comment

it means no effect to your site

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X