numbness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• numbness

the left side of my 4th finger on my left hand is always a little numb, kind of tingly. it started maybe 2 months ago. is that carpoltunnel starting? i have no pain anywhere in my arms, wrists or hands.

Can you still feel your nose? I've heard that that's important...

-jim

Comment

I always sit at the computer with my ankles crossed. So for a while, my right ankle was always numb and kind of swollen and puslating or spasming. So I had to start sitting with my feet straight. That, and my fingers. I type alot, plus I play the drums and guitar. So I'm pretty much screwed. I prolly won't have any function left whatsoever in my hands in about 10-15 years.

Comment

Re: numbness

Originally posted by Jakeman
        the left side of my 4th finger on my left hand is always a little numb, kind of tingly. it started maybe 2 months ago. is that carpoltunnel starting? i have no pain anywhere in my arms, wrists or hands.
        Go see a doctor. Might even be something with your spine.
        Well, there it is.
        - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

Sounds like you pitched a nerve.

Sometimes that can be taken care of -- most times it can't and you have to live with it.

Go see a Dr. -- Just in case something's more serious...

Comment

i'll prolly see my doctor then. actually, i do have mild skulliosis (no idea how to spell it) in my spine. my doctor said it's not bad enough to operate or anything... it's just one of those things i have to live with. i have never had any symptoms from my skulliosis though (just a heavy right shoulder). anyways, that's a possible cause. we'll see.

yes, i can feel my nose jim.

Comment

Originally posted by JimF
              Can you still feel your nose? I've heard that that's important...

-jim
              Jim, when I read your comment I looked at your avatar and just started giggling uncontrollably. *me wonders why*
              Well, there it is.
              - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

Originally posted by rockergrrl
                Sounds like you pitched a nerve.

Sometimes that can be taken care of -- most times it can't and you have to live with it.

Go see a Dr. -- Just in case something's more serious...
                What is a pitched nerve? Did you mean "pinched"? I have a friend who has that on her toes. Are there resources online where I can get more info?
                Well, there it is.
                - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

Originally posted by Skeptical

Jim, when I read your comment I looked at your avatar and just started giggling uncontrollably. *me wonders why*
                  lol

Comment

Whats happening is that you are restricting (or blocking, rather), your acetocholine (ACH) receptors and thus, impulses from your nervous system can not be sent to your ACH receptors and thus, your finger falls asleep. The stinging sensation is your finger "waking up", or rather, electricity is being sent back into your finger. This condition is called aprodisia, and is nothing more serious than your finger "falling asleep."

However, I could be totally wrong, and you could be dying. Go contact your doctor. The above paragraph is just what I think it is.

-Vic

Comment

Originally posted by krs-one
                      However, I could be totally wrong, and you could be dying.
                      wOOt!

Comment

Originally posted by Skeptical

What is a pitched nerve? Did you mean "pinched"? I have a friend who has that on her toes. Are there resources online where I can get more info?
                        I'd like some more resources too. My left hand is tingly sometimes. I know how it happened: I tend to put by elbow on the very sharp edging of my table, and I think after a few years of doing this, it caught up with me and now Im paying for it. The pinky feels less sensetive than my right hand which isnt affected at all. The side of my left hand also feels the same way.

Its not nearly as bad as it was a year ago (I've had it since Nov 2001). Sometimes it goes away, but its probly just when I dont notice it because its not like I type like I did before etc.

Before it hurt a bit, then got annoying, now I dont even notice it. Is a pinched nerve final, NOTHING you can do about it? No treatment or anything?
                        forums: pcfx.cc
                        gallery: here

Comment

From what I know (I am not a doctor, only a 17 year old kid), a pinched nerve is final. Since nervous tissue can not be reconstructed by the body, any nervous tissue (either in the Central Nervous System [CNS] or Peripheral Nervous System [PNS]) that has been damaged stays damaged. Now, I believe that a pinched nerve does not mean the tissue is dead, merely on its way. Again, consult a doctor as I am not one.

-Vic

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. X

I'd like some more resources too. My left hand is tingly sometimes. I know how it happened: I tend to put by elbow on the very sharp edging of my table, and I think after a few years of doing this, it caught up with me and now Im paying for it. The pinky feels less sensetive than my right hand which isnt affected at all. The side of my left hand also feels the same way.

Its not nearly as bad as it was a year ago (I've had it since Nov 2001). Sometimes it goes away, but its probly just when I dont notice it because its not like I type like I did before etc.

Before it hurt a bit, then got annoying, now I dont even notice it. Is a pinched nerve final, NOTHING you can do about it? No treatment or anything?
                            I strongly suggest you buy a new chair with armrests or get a bigger table so your entire arm can rest on the table. I had a chair a few years back and it couldn't tilt back. My back strained as a result. Bought myself a more exensive "executive" style chair and now no more problems! Worth every penny. Look into it.
                            Well, there it is.
                            - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

I have a chair with arm rests (though I rarely use em because they arent big or long enough. When it happened to me, it happened instantly. As soon as I put the elbow on the edge, my hand got tingly. This happened to me before sometimes, and it felt like as if you slept on your hand. A few minutes later after you shake it off it goes away, but this didnt.

Its either toned down a bunch as far as pain and annoyance, or that Im so used to it I can barely tell anymore. Its hardly a handicap, I can still shred on my guitar playing solos and chords requiring extensive use of the pinky so Im not worried, just bummed that I did it to my dumbself.
                              forums: pcfx.cc
                              gallery: here

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X