Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Process of web removal

Hi

I was wondering what is the process that is required to get something removed from another persons site, for the sake of example lets take VB (please note I am NOT interested in HOW VB tracks), like most apps out there, there is always a pirated one, VB unlike the others has a reputation of nicely handling illegal copies, now the interesting thing is almost any site with an illegal copy is shut down, I am curious how this is done.

Once again I dont care much for how VB tracks, I am just curious about the process that is required to get the web host to take that site now, I have never really understood how it is done, does VB just contact the server host and tell them to take it down or is the process different?

Originally posted by Maestro_1234 View Post
    does VB just contact the server host and tell them to take it down
    Pretty much.

I'd imagine there'd be some evidence provided too.
    My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
    vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

I believe the domain owner is first contacted and asked to either purchase a license or remove the site. If nothing is done, or there is no response, then the site host is contacted and they are asked to remove the site.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
      vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
      Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
      If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

This would greatly depend on what the content is that your trying to get removed. Is it yours? Is it copyrighted? Can you prove it? Is the content illegal? Does it comply with the hosts TOS?

In most cases you will contact the host, make the request. They'll review it and at their discretion contact their customer with a take down order. Then if they fail you can further actions legally as you see fit.
        www.cdmagurus.com
        www.cellphone-gurus.com

Comment

Originally posted by whitey10tc View Post
          This would greatly depend on what the content is that your trying to get removed. Is it yours? Is it copyrighted? Can you prove it? Is the content illegal? Does it comply with the hosts TOS?

In most cases you will contact the host, make the request. They'll review it and at their discretion contact their customer with a take down order. Then if they fail you can further actions legally as you see fit.
          This was my thinking too - site is hosting warez or other illegal content, rather than 'site is running unlicensed copy of software'.
          vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
            This was my thinking too - site is hosting warez or other illegal content, rather than 'site is running unlicensed copy of software'.
            We recently had to remove some discussions that were borderline illegal "cellphone cloning" after receiving a court order. Sprint and HTC completely bypassed the host and issued the notices through a summons. A big headache for me the owner, but I complied to avoid the court battle. There are many ways to get content removed, but for a single person contacting the host is the best start.
            www.cdmagurus.com
            www.cellphone-gurus.com

Comment

Originally posted by whitey10tc View Post
              There are many ways to get content removed, but for a single person contacting the host is the best start.
              This is very true. Best to do it politely though.

I had somebody post an (almost, aside from 2 lines of speculation) entirely true thread, with links to articles in respected publications, about some other person's shady business practices. This other person found it, and emailed me threatening legal action unless I removed the 'slanderous' thread.

I removed the 2 lines of speculation, but left it there otherwise. He's emailed multiple times, threatening legal action, but as yet I have seen nothing official.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X