Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

and you all thought VB was expensive.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• liamwli
    replied
    Sorry to bump an old thread but I think Lithium needs defending here o

Lithium is aimed at companies that have a £1000000 budget for support solutions, and support suites. Implementing a lithium forum could bring that down.

I use LOADS of lithium forums (2 actually), and I love them. The features I like the most are:
    • Kudos
    • Solutions
    • SSO
    • Leaderboards
    • Idea Boards
    • Their good PM system
    • Social Intgration is second to none

So, worth the money - especially with the hosting. If only I could afford it....

Mum - win the lottery!

Leave a comment:

• syrus.xl
    replied
    "and you all thought VB was expensive....."

You mean it isn't...

Lithium is expensive in comparison, but it is aimed at large corporations, which wouldn't give vBulletin, IPB or Xenforo a second look.

Look at what you are pay for...
    • 1. Free bugs
    • 2. Maybe we'll fix that at some point
    • 3. A few more bugs won't hurt here and there..
    • 4. Oh wait, we did promise by 4.1 we would update the AdminCP, nevermind we'll just keep it the same - easier that way.

..and the latest I've been hearing is vBulletin is being compared to Microsoft products due to receiving the name of 'bloatware'. Hmmmm, wonder where they got that idea from.

Leave a comment:

• KKinsey
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery View Post
    A really big company, will scoff at vBulletin, and pay the thousands of dollars to never worry about anything.
    Exactly, and for that price you can hire a couple (or few?) semi-gurus to keep it up and running, which they do, no doubt.

It seems to me that vB does all right with more customers paying less ... it certainly seems like the support is decent, although I doubt you've got as high a Porsche-to-employee ratio as Lithium ...

Leave a comment:

• JVCode
    replied
    Lithium is aimed at the big dogs, medium to large corporations, not your average Joe.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    A really big company, will scoff at vBulletin, and pay the thousands of dollars to never worry about anything.

Leave a comment:

• loneroad
    replied
    I'd hope it comes with something like a guarantee that it'll have 100% uptime for that money.

Mind you, big companies like that will demand that it work, no matter what. With a small self-managed community like many end users, having the site down for a few hours or a day wouldn't be a big deal.

Leave a comment:

• Alfa1
    replied
    Their advertisement promotes theirproduct without showing it:

Leave a comment:

• Dustin L.
    replied
    Why would anyone in their right mind pay that much for community software, when you can get an awesome one for a measly $195?!

Leave a comment:

• remixedcat
    replied
    I did hear back from them asking if it included the hosting and it does, making it more worth the price, but still very expensive.

Leave a comment:

• dieKetzer
    replied
    i saw a place go from vb3 to jive, then to lithium.
    jive was beyond a doubt the least favoured (it was loathed actually) by the majority.
    lithium got a warmer reception, likely due to the contempt for jive.
    but people are still asking for the old vb forum to return.
    when lithium was announced as the new software to be used i checked out a lot of lithium boards, and it was actually pretty common to see 'bring back vb' threads on them.

Leave a comment:

• Shamil.
    replied
    This isn't aimed at the vBulletin user base.

If I recall correctly, Lithium had been transitioning to a custom database system. Not sure if the project was scrapped though.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by ThorstenA View Post
    And a three figure software could not be trusted with sensible data Sell the same product for six to seven figures and you have the contract.
    Pretty sure Lithium runs on top of Oracle as well. Oracle database servers are licensed by the CPU Core (or at least were). I know when I was working for Protection One back in 2000, they paid more than $1 Million a year just for Oracle. It was installed on three RS6000 machines with 36 processor cores each for a total of 108 processor cores. The price also included an Oracle Support Engineer that worked in the P1 data center in Wichita, not Oracle's headquarters. Of course, a powerful enough Oracle server can handle millions of queries per second.

Leave a comment:

• ThorstenA
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    All the customers they list are multi-billion dollar corporations. Anything in the 5 digit range is extremely affordable.
    And a three figure software could not be trusted with sensible data Sell the same product for six to seven figures and you have the contract.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by HMBeaty View Post
    Good lord! You have to win the lottery to get that......or have some extremely good pay
    All the customers they list are multi-billion dollar corporations. Anything in the 5 digit range is extremely affordable.

Leave a comment:

• remixedcat
    replied
    Originally posted by eva2000 View Post
    woah US$96-120K per year

for that money could setup your own dedicated server cluster!
    and run your own hosting company off that!

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X