This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moderated boards = boring

I never participate in moderated boards. Do you know why? Because they are VERY BORING! I think that in the future moderation will be abandoned. There are several reasons for that:

1) Moderators abuse their power.

2) Moderators take sides.

3) Moderators prevent users from being honest about who they really are.

4) Moderators hit refresh button every 2 seconds and run up the costs of hosting.

5) Moderators make users upset.

6) I can give you 100 other reasons...

You mean pre or post moderation? If you mean the latter then why are you posting here!

Actually the things you list are all the things good moderators do not do. If you have moderators like this maybe you should think about getting new ones!

I'm guilty of pressing refresh every 2 seconds mind
    Motorsport Forums

Comment

Hmmm

I had an incident this week where a member on my boards left because I chose to start censoring out 3 swear words -
      F**k, c**t and n****r (racist). I try not to moderate the boards too much, but this guy came on swearing like a trooper, so I had to implement it. He got narked that he cannot swear now and left the board in a huff.

Oh well

--James

Comment

There is no such thing as good moderator. Even the best moderator is not perfect so he/she will make a mistake. If so, why would you have one at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Strike
          There is no such thing as good moderator.
          Sounds like you've had a bad experience with mods? But I totally disagree with you.

Even the best moderator is not perfect so he/she will make a mistake.
          Of course, we are all human, we all make mistakes. But having a good moderator is the difference between a good forum and a bad forum. Most members want a friendly place to debate do they not? It only takes one or two to disrupt things and then nobody wants to post, just look at USENET. A good moderator can stop this before it starts.

[/QUOTE]
          Motorsport Forums

Comment

In my opinion, an Admin who allows his/her moderators to do the things you say has no business running a bulletin board in the first place. Moderation is necessary to keep your board, as well as your members in check.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hewitt

Most members want a friendly place to debate do they not? It only takes one or two to disrupt things and then nobody wants to post
              [/QUOTE]

My forum is very unfriendly and yet people post. Sorry but your theory is going down the window.

Comment

Each to their own. If your aim is to create an unfriendly forum then good luck to you!! . You may not need moderators at all in that case.

My board on the other hand is supposed to be a civilised place, though sometimes it isn't! Plus there are official organisations that link to us, so we don't have a choice in the matter.
                Motorsport Forums

Comment

In a perfect world, people are supposed to police themselves, and so they are bound to respect one another. But, this is not a perfect world, and there are a lot of boards out there where you get kids who post all over the place like they own it, and do not care what people think. That is where admins and mods step in--to keep the place from destroying itself. Most boards that folded up are the ones who have little moderation in place, and everyone just basically stepped on each other. Ironically, I would think this board is moderated, so like a post here said, we wonder why you're even here in the first place.

Comment

There is a difference between moderation and censorship. Moderation is, in relation to BB's, closing a thread because it becomes a huge flame, or moving a thread because its in the wrong forum. Censorship, however, is bleeping out words. I believe in moderation mainly because I don't want my members hating each other, however, they can cuss all they want and I don't mind.

-Vic

Comment

Moderation is only neccesary to remove posts that are racist posts, mock events such as that of september 11th, and keep swearing to a general low. A little cursing here and there isn't going to ruin someones virgin ears.

In my opinion moderators are needed.
                      Board of the Month: November
                      Websites: Pixeljunction , vBulletin.org
                      Button Sets: XP and Aqua Button sets! FREE!
                      vB Customization: My sig is now vbulletin compliant. Contact me to make yours compliant too!

Comment

It all depends on what your board is about. If it's a free-for-all place where anything goes, then yeah moderation might interfere. However, if you're trying to build a friendly community moderation is an absolute must.
                        Well, there it is.
                        - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

My forum is very unfriendly and yet people post. Sorry but your theory is going down the window.
                          People post at your forum because it's open for guest-posting. Turn on registration and see how your posts-per-day rate gets to the floor.
                          Chen Avinadav
                          Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

Hmmmm, our board is very tightly moderated, and we're about to celebrate 4 years of operation. Come back in a couple of years and we'll compare moderated to unmoderated.

Comment

Re: Moderated boards = boring

Then please I beg you, do not post on this forum.

I never participate in moderated boards. Do you know why?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X