Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The worst/dumbest thing you've done to/on your site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The worst/dumbest thing you've done to/on your site?

What is/was the worst and/or the dumbest thing you've done to or on your site?

As for me, I'm REALLY glad I had a backup! lol

A few minutes ago (literally) I was in SSH deleting some rather large directories (it's faster than ftp) and slipped on typing one of them in and deleted my ENTIRE public_html directory

Oops lol
    "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time!"
    "It's important to only think about what you desire, not what you fear to achieve your ultimate goal!!"
    "When doors close, tear down the walls. Never give up!"

2 days ago, the 'you are running out of space on /var/' messages I had been ignoring (as they were only at 80%) blew out to 100% and every site on my server went down.
    My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
    vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

Crashed it 3 times. Twice in one day. Don't ask...

Comment

Welcome me to the club, then... I 'accidentally' deleted everything on my file manager and I ended up pissed off the whole week.!

Comment

upgraded to vB4!!! I should have stayed on 3.8.x. I am not poking fun at vBulletin sadly it is in my opinion the dumbest thing I ever did to my site.
          My statements are based on the forums not the CMS as I do not and will not use it.
          If I wanted faulty software I would code it my self. When I pay I expect to get what is advertised. I do not feel I got what I paid for.
          In an honest opinion I feel I paid for vB 5.0 beta 7

Comment

Originally posted by BBR-APBT View Post
            upgraded to vB4!!! I should have stayed on 3.8.x. I am not poking fun at vBulletin sadly it is in my opinion the dumbest thing I ever did to my site.
            You know....you really don't need to bring this up in every thread you post in......deal with it and move on already
            "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time!"
            "It's important to only think about what you desire, not what you fear to achieve your ultimate goal!!"

Comment

You asked a question, I answered in my honest opinion and yet you complain that I answered your question you posted on a public forum.

I even stated I wasn't poking fun at vBulletin.
              My statements are based on the forums not the CMS as I do not and will not use it.
              If I wanted faulty software I would code it my self. When I pay I expect to get what is advertised. I do not feel I got what I paid for.
              In an honest opinion I feel I paid for vB 5.0 beta 7

Comment

Originally posted by BBR-APBT View Post
                Technically, I could add that one too, but with the addition of "before vBSEO was ready for vB4."

Lost about 60% traffic, took months to recover.
                My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

Dumbest thing? Added a chatbox. After removing it, actual community participation grew considerably. Chatboxes and forums shouldn't co-exist on the same website, they both compete for the same audience and one eventually cancels the other out.

Worst thing? I've yet to reach that yet. As far as vBulletin is concerned vB4 has, for the most part, been a positive experience both to my community and to myself.
                  - Maurice Workin' in the Jira mine, goin' down, down, down

Comment

Originally posted by Maurd View Post
                    Dumbest thing? Added a chatbox. After removing it, actual community participation grew considerably. Chatboxes and forums shouldn't co-exist on the same website, they both compete for the same audience and one eventually cancels the other out.
                    Yep! If you've ever read the "vBulletin feature suggestion" threads, the users who ALWAYS suggest adding a chatbox/chatroom to default vBulletin, almost ALWAYS get shut down . What's the point in having a chatbox within a forum....when they're essentially the same thing?

Comment

I agree.

The main issue I feel is that new administrators think that if they don't install every possible modification that sounds like a 'good idea' people won't join. I was even guilty of that at one time.

My website is almost five years old. Ever since it started with SMF, I always had that mentality. "I have to have x, y and z or else people will think less of my website!" Shortly after moving to vBulletin 3.6 I eased myself out of that state of mind. In reality, the only two modification that tagged along for the journey were the chatbox and arcade. When we finally upgraded to 4.1.2 May, all of the staff took a vote and we ditched the last two modifications, we even disabled several core features such as groups.

Initially some commented on the lack of arcade, no one seemed to care about the chatbox disappearing. Years after it's creation I'm finally running only vanilla code and now my forum has grown to over a hundred thousand posts, which is petty to some, but amazing to me. It's just proven to myself that you don't need the kitchen sink for a successful community.

Ultimately I think the worst thing you can do to your community is to second guess yourself and over-think it.
                      - Maurice Workin' in the Jira mine, goin' down, down, down

Comment

installing invision power board

Comment

A few years ago now...

Did an upgrade. When I was tired. Without making a back-up first!

I don't think I'll ever hear the end of that one. On the plus side, only managed to lose less than a month's worth of posts.

Comment

Went to create my first back-up of my files and deleted them by mistake. :/

Comment

I let my old domain expire. (But I did not have much of a choice because of financialia)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X