Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you like php and you know it clap your hands...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you like php and you know it clap your hands...

Hey people -

This is just a random collection of thoughts regarding PHP coding, and probably applies to all languages.

Besides English, a little Spanish, HTML, and a little JavaScript, PHP is really the first language I've learned. For those of you that are experienced programmers, I ask you to think back to the first time you really got excited about doing stuff with what you know.

Up until now, if I wanted to have a feature on my site; whether it was a contact form, or something like that, my first stop would be Hotscripts.com.

Then, I would still visit Hotscripts, but I'd end up taking bits and pieces of code from several scripts - and hacking them to make it do what I wanted it to do.

Next, I would start with a canned script, and then spend hours - or days - trying to figure out how to change what I didn't want, and replace it with what I did want.

Now, I just rev up whichever editor I feel like using at that time, and whip up my own script. It is such an empowering feeling! I can't stop thinking of cool stuff to make!!

A perfect example is the script that I use for the photo gallery on my site. It started as something that worked, but wasn't exactly what I wanted it to do. so I modified it. Modified it some more. And some more, and more, and more, and more. And now, that same script doesn't exist at all in it's original form - but the entire site, including articles and everything is now based on that script.

Did any of you experience something similar? Where you felt for the first time the power of a scripting language? The creative, mechanical, and analytical muscles that it massages?

When did you start being able to answer questions instead of asking them? Did it make you giddy?

I'm sorry for rambling on - I just wanted to talk about how much I enjoy coding in PHP. How much I love creating things and making them work. The joy I got when I first accomplished something by myself that just 6 months ago I was trying to get Mike/Ed/Scott to do for me .

Next on the list is to get better at mysql - so I can truly exploit the power of PHP

-jim

that's how i first felt about succesfully designing a web site... as to php i don't know a thing about programming gonna pick up the Learn php in 24 hrs book soon and have a good read

btw, nice photo gallery script
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X