Is this good enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this good enough?

I have been using VB for 6-7 years, and have successfully installed/moved servers/upgraded VB on many many occasions over the years. There would always be occasions when there were problems, but the help was easy to get to find the answer. However on this occasion I have a problem that I can't figure out, so naturally I have asked how to fix the problem here:

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...-AdminCP-blank

Frankly I am appalled that as an end user I am expected to trawl through a list of 17 probable causes to try and figure out what the problem is. I already run three other VB4 forums successfully on the same server. It is only within the last few patches that this problem has occured. I am amazed at supports attitude as much as anything.

VB isn't cheap, at that price I expect a working product and I don't expect to have to be troublshooting to this degree on something I have PAID FOR.

I am utterly disgusted, and for the first time in a long time I am looking for alternatives to VB. I have a good mind to see what trading standards think about it too.
    - SirTalksalot
    www.talk-uk.com - Talk UK News, Politics, and current affairs!
    Ickle Ads - Get your FREE pixel adspace now! No catches, it's just free!

Did you open a support ticket? You are entitled to support through tickets and it's proper support not forum support which tends to be stock answers.

Incidentally the page with probable causes of white pages has helped me out a lot in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawk2 View Post
      why dont you put in a support ticket and let staff login to see what the problem is
      This would be your next step if you don't want to go through the troubleshooting steps yourself.
      I admit that sometimes it's a PIA going down the steps but it's generally quicker and cheaper than paying support staff or hiring someone to fix it for you.

I agree with punchbowl, the docs and help pages have helped me out numerous times.
      -- Web Developer for hire
      ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

Just a suggestion: For "blank screen" errors, your host's web logs might show what error is occurring.

Comment

Each one of the things on that list is a valid reason to have blank pages.
          We're going to do/tell you the same thing as that guide.

If we had a one stop fix it guide for blank pages that worked 100% of the time in only 1 step, we'd give it to you.

How do you propose we make it better when each one of those reasons list, is completely viable reason for a blank page to occur?

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
            Each one of the things on that list is a valid reason to have blank pages.
            We're going to do/tell you the same thing as that guide.

If we had a one stop fix it guide for blank pages that worked 100% of the time in only 1 step, we'd give it to you.

How do you propose we make it better when each one of those reasons list, is completely viable reason for a blank page to occur?
            Designing VB so that these problems don't occur in the first place might be a good start.

As I said, and as is clearly being ignored, not one of the previous versions of VB I have installed has ever had this problem. I say again, I have three older versions of VB running on the same server, not one of them has this problem. NOT ONE SINGLE previous installation of VB I have made (and that's at least 10) has ever had this problem.

In other words, you have added something which clearly not working as well as previous versions. Your arrogant tone and your list will do little to change this.
            - SirTalksalot
            www.talk-uk.com - Talk UK News, Politics, and current affairs!
            Ickle Ads - Get your FREE pixel adspace now! No catches, it's just free!

Comment

We've been compiling that list since vB2, those were all 100% valid reasons in the past and still are today. Many of those would occur in other software also.

Comment

Try temporarily activating php error reporting.
                Shawn

Comment

Blank pages aren't all that specific of an error, there is no single magic solution to solve them, they need to be looked at further. Support staff are only human, they have to work with what they have, they don't have mystical seer powers. If you aren't going to try to diagnose it based off the docs provided, you'll want to open a support ticket instead.

Originally posted by SirTalksalot View Post
                  Designing VB so that these problems don't occur in the first place might be a good start.

As I said, and as is clearly being ignored, not one of the previous versions of VB I have installed has ever had this problem. I say again, I have three older versions of VB running on the same server, not one of them has this problem. NOT ONE SINGLE previous installation of VB I have made (and that's at least 10) has ever had this problem.

In other words, you have added something which clearly not working as well as previous versions. Your arrogant tone and your list will do little to change this.
                  You not acting like a complete and total tool would be a good start as well. Go ahead, continue to be hostile to the support staff, that'll solve all your problems.

Comment

Frankly I am appalled that as an end user I am expected to trawl through a list of 17 probable causes to try and figure out what the problem is.
                    You're appalled you have to help yourself figure out a problem ? Wow....

I have a good mind to see what trading standards think about it too.
                    Save yourself wasting a few hours of your time, and their time, they will have zero interest.

motowebmaster has the most obvious next step, instead of useless tirades against support staff, try it.
                    Baby, I was born this way

Comment