Question About Changing Registrars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Changing Registrars

Network Solutions is being a pain in the arse, so I'd like to transfer my domain's to Stargate (another registrar). Is there a chance that my site might experience downtime as a result of this change or is it usually a seemless process?

If your talking about what I'm thinking, It will take around 24 hours for the DNS to resolve.

Or something like that
    Need a job done? Get in contact with me and we'll see what we can work out.

Comment

I'm not sure when changing registrars...when switching hosts, yes there is usually at least a little bit of downtime involved. I would assume for this, tho, not over 24 hours at most, since your name servers aren't changing...

Comment

No, there should be no downtime at all, unless NetSol screws up your transfer...

All my old domains that were registered with NetSol now live happily at 000domains.com

Comment

Good luck, I just transfered a domain from NS to OpenSRS and it took NS about 3 weeks to take care of things on their end. I can't stand NS. I have had nothing but probelms with them. Their service is awful, but I would like to say that OpenSRS has been very good up to this point.

Have fun...

-JRW
          LostDiscussion.com - Fan base community for ABC's Lost | Club-tC.com - Scion tC Enthusiast Site | PcTechTalk.com - What's your issue? | eInvesting.com - Play the Market, Learn Investing, WIN!

Comment

Back when I used to be with NS to change anything you had to reply to these complicated e-mails exactly how they wanted or it wouldn't work. Is it stilll like that?
            Jason Miller
            http://www.GMPerformanceTuning.com
            http://projecthillside.com
            http://weekendoasis.net
            http://jamz.net

Comment

Originally posted by jam583
              Back when I used to be with NS to change anything you had to reply to these complicated e-mails exactly how they wanted or it wouldn't work. Is it stilll like that?
              Yep. The last time I tried to update one of my domains was the last straw with NS. I moved everything over to Register.com. They're not the cheapest, but at least I have complete control over my domains.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

oh god please tell me you're kidding...register.com is just as bad as NSI...they spam (like NSI), they steal domains with cheap email marketing ploys (like NSI), they have horrible customer service (like NSI) and getting a domain out of there is like pulling teeth from a full-grown cheetah running at full speed...

Comment

That's strange Kevin because I haven't had any of these problems with Register.com. And unlke NSI and many other companies, I have actually been able to talk to a live human being when I've needed to contact them. They've been great for me and I've used them for about three years now.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

i like netsol because you can call them no problems.

i have no problem with them.
                    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Asendin
                      i like netsol because you can call them no problems.

i have no problem with them.
                      ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
                      mad person or NetSol employee...

Comment

Originally posted by Kier
                        ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
                        mad person or NetSol employee...
                        lol
                        MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                        Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

The only thing i ever got done quickly at netsol was moving the domain. That was surprisingly easy to do

I have my domains at stargateinc but I am thinking of moving them. They do NOT do an email check if somoene wants to move the domain they leave it up to the register moving the domain to do the check. Let me explain:

You have your domains at joker.com say.
                          You tell joker.com to move the domain abc.com
                          Theoretically, joker.com check this is a valid move by sending an email to the admin owner of joker.com to confirm it.
                          Once confirmed, joker.com tell stargate to move the domain.
                          Stargate do as they are told.

This is the way the system has been setup and stargate are not doing anything "wrong" however almost ALL other companies do a second check and confirm the email themselves. Stargate don't.

Why does this matter? Well it shouldn't really. Domains registars are regulated and basically are going to check onwership. However not all do. I have the domain deskpro that compaq used to have a few years ago. I guess they let the registration expire. Anyway, they, I guess, decided to move lots of their domains to a new register. Without checking, one of these was deskpro. It got moved without me even knowing and one day I work up to find that compaq had my domain.

I did eventually get it back and the domain company apologised (and added 5 years of registration time!) but beware.
                          Christopher Padfield
                          Web Based Helpdesk
                          DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Re: Question About Changing Registrars

You shouldn't experience any downtime. Everything should go smooth. You are just changing registrars, not dns, so there is no reason for downtime. BTW, I have all my domains at bulkregister.com, and I agree with those that hate netsol, and register.com. Heard bad things about them too.

I am also saving a ton of cash. If all my domains were at netsol, I would be paying $8050 a year, instead of $2760 I pay now. BIG DIFFERENCE. I think network solutions is charging way too much, but I guess they get away with it because of brand recognition.

I remember the days there was no registrar competition, and I was stuck with network solutions, and hating it. I had no choice but to pay their high dollar registration and renewal fees. Thank god times have changed

good luck

Comment

i use netsol... they work fine for me.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X