Kiss goodbye to IE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ramsesx View Post
    And a last word to the IE crap, every time I take a look at the average Joe's IE, in most cases there are a lot of crappy - self installed - browser add-ons in their menu bar stretching over the half browser window. I really don't get why on earth are people using this most worst piece of web technology.
    The Web and web browsers are not designed for forum administrators,they are designed for the average Joe.
    Are they happy to use IE ? Let them use it happily.
    I use IE and FF, would not touch Chrome. Once it was enough.
    When I'll become unhappy with them I'll have a look at Chrome.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Forum admins need to remember they are there to admin a forum, not lecture their members on browser use.

If I visit a community and I keep getting nagged about my browser choice, I'll clear off pretty quickly.

Leave people alone. By all means provide articles and advice but do not ram it down people's throats, you'll only lose members.

If my members wish to use IE, then fine, I will support that browser, as long as it isn't IE6 in which I will just recommend an upgrade, that's fair enough. IE8 and IE9 are perfectly fine for browsing my forums, and even IE7 is for the most part, there's just a few minor visual quirks.
      MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
      AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
        Forum admins need to remember they are there to admin a forum, not lecture their members on browser use.
        Nobody has suggested doing it this way Mark. A small recommendation on the footer or elsewhere on a site is way different as what you're telling here.

Comment

Just wanted to point out that IE is also free. Freely available for compatible systems here.
          Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

Originally posted by AWS View Post
            Just wanted to point out that IE is also free. Freely available for compatible systems here.
            ...as are Firefox, Chrome, Opera and most other browsers. Is there such a thing as a pay-for browser anymore?
            ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

IE6 is installed out of the box on Windows XP. It will never disappear, if only for the people who dont use autoupdate, disabled it oir fail activation/antipiracy checks.

Comment

Some interesting things came to light after running this scheme - the main one being some people don't even know what a browser is let alone what they're using... even though they have been on the internet (using my site) for years :lol:

So I've added a link to this site which tells people what their browser is, what features it supports and also records the info for me. It's pretty handy you guys might want to consider doing the same - just to get info on what browsers your regular users are using.. and what features they support.
                What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

That's so true Raza, last time I had to do a restore backup of my 20 y.o. nieces laptop. When it finished the first she asked was "how do I get into the internet", she didn't found the "blue e". That's the facebook generation...

Comment

Lol don't get me started on the FB generation :lol:

Comment

I do find it weird that many users are perfectly able to use vbulletin and complex functionality, but have no clue what browser they use or how to change things in their browser. The same users often have 6 'free' browser toolbars installed.
                      I buy 420 forums

Comment

Originally posted by Alfa1 View Post
                        I do find it weird that many users are perfectly able to use vbulletin and complex functionality, but have no clue what browser they use or how to change things in their browser. The same users often have 6 'free' browser toolbars installed.
                        I can honestly say I have never ever installed a browser toolbar - ever! LOL

How are your sites coming along Alfa? Haven't you moved over to Ruby on Rails yet!?

Comment

My sites are relatively static, and falling behind TBH. Even though there is some vb3 addon development going on. I haven't decided which way to go yet. vb4, IPB, Joomla or custom I'm not sure yet. Either way, it will surely include a very large amount of custom coding.
                          I buy 420 forums

Comment

Even though there is some vb3 addon development going on.
                            Any news about gars or a replacement?

Comment

I started up discussion about that here: GARS alternatives? Who is stuck on vb3 due to GARS?
                              Please join in.
                              I buy 420 forums

Comment

I started up discussion about that here: GARS alternatives? Who is stuck on vb3 due to GARS?
                                Please join in.
                                I'm long time in this group already, but never received a response to this.
                                Sadly the groups are the worst place to receive any attention but your sig link is a good idea, if I have space left I'll doing the same.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X