Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Claiming My Content Belongs to them, Will not remove, Help?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claiming My Content Belongs to them, Will not remove, Help?

There is a Vbulletin forum I would go on, and recently I have decided to leave because of the owner of the forum.
    I removed my content (edited my posts to say removed),but I went back today to see if one of my friends had wrote me back in PM.
    I noticed the owner had taken my content and re-posted it from her account, and didn't even give me credit.
    I asked her to remove it and she claims, because I posted it on her site, it belongs to her.
    Well, nothing in her TOS or Rules say that my posted content belongs to her.

Her responses to me asking to take down my content;

We've discussed it with my lawyer Toxic. If you'll read over our terms and conditions once you post something in a forum it becomes ours to use aswell as yours
    Actuallly we do. Many sites do not allow users to take things down yet we have allowed this. Fortunately I do have a right to post it as I have discussed with my family lawyer.
    Forum Rules
    Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Complete Registration' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of ********* will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this site, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of *************, nor vBulletin Solutions, Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of*************reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any content item for any reason.

These are the new rules for *************. We would like to remind the members that if there is an issue please report the post or private message a staff member. Most of these situations will be dealt with a verbal warning (your name will be put on records). Continuous breaking of the rules will result in warnings, suspensions, and bans.

Freedom Policy
    ************* supports the voicing of opinion on certain subjects (positive or negative) We however ask you to not start fights (debates are welcome), call out other members, or slander other members. Personal conflict should be dealt with through private messages.

We do not mind the use of swear words. However we would like to remind you that ************* is a 13+ site and we do have younger members. Please don't use vulgar language in excess. We also ask that all adult content (picture, drawings, and stories) be kept to personal messages. While discussion of drugs, and alcohol are fine we ask that you try to keep adult focused posts moderated (we don't need to know about your escapades, or how much you drank on the weekend).

SPAM Policy
    The boards on ************* are for discussion not 'instant messaging'. Posts containing excess of smilies, less than 5 words (excluding quotes), or off topic content will be deleted. While we appreciate activity we ask that you try and put as much 'meat' into your posts as possible. If you would like to chat with somebody feel free to use the private messaging feature.

Theft Policy
    Use of content without permission is a ban-able offence. Those found using stolen content from other members, petsites, or any other sources will be given an immediate suspension, and may be banned. While this is the internet use of others property is still theft and will not be tolerated.

Advertising Policy
    We encourage the discussion of other forums; however we ask that you do not advertise or continous linking to your site, whether it be through mail or on boards. Advertising a petsite or any other site is fine.

Moderation Policy
    [/align]The moderators are here to help keep the boards clean and drama free. We ask that you follow all rules and listen to moderators (just because they don't give you an official warning doesn't mean you can continue to break the rules). If you feel that a moderator is abusing their power feel free to mail another staff member and the issue will be brought up in the staff forum. The moderators at ************* try to be as fair as they can be and we ask that you respect them at all times.

If you have any issues with the rules feel free to contact any staff member.
    Site name has been *************.

And it is also against vBulletin's TOS for her to have it posted.
    Posting, providing, transmitting or otherwise making available any materials or information infringing on the rights of a third party
    Sorce :: http://www.vbulletin.com/terms.php

I would just like to know what I can do to get my content removed from the forum.

It's very likely you can't. Why do you care? The content on most websites, including user contributed messages on forums, is copyrighted and can be used by the owner of the site. If you don't want your words posted on a site, don't post them. You give up the rights to those words when you click the submit button.

The TOS of vBulletin does not transfer to other websites and vBulletin has no control of the content you may have posted on another forum.

Jim
    If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
    www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

@eJM

I care because it was an interview done by me, for myself.
      I posted it on the forum to share, it wasn't transferred to another forum, but when I took it down, they put it back up, I asked them to remove it, they refused banned me.
      I don't believe something I worked hard on should be taken and called someone elses.

Would that work the same with art? If I post artwork on deviantart, do I lose all rights to it too?

Comment

You are giving us only one side of the story. You've redacted any mention of the other site and provided no link to the content in question so that we can give you a more considered opinion.

Jim
        If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
        www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

Well if Im aloud I sure can give you more information..

Link to copied thread
          Link to my original

They have deleted the thread where I asked for advice on why they wont remove my content.

Comment

Also the part at the bottom "Thanks to toxic rainbow kisses for organising and producing this interview. Great job." Was edited in after I had posted and they deleted my comment.

Comment

Ok, well this site you are posting on now cannot help you. This website is for the vBulletin software, which thousands of sites use.

Any contention you have with a specific site and their management, needs to be handled by them. Or if they refuse, take whatever legal action you deem appropriate.

We can give you public opinion, but that is all.

(And PS, as a forum owners, we can make our own policies as to the ownership of content posted. If you posted on a site that I own, the content becomes property of the site. We will however honor requests to remove certain personal information points, where it applies. This is something that is clearly stated in the joining process and the membership email that is sent after confirmation.)
              To be updated...

Comment

Publishing on forums only provides siteops the timelimited permission to store, publish and display your content for as long as youve not recinded that authorization. A recourse usually is made available based on necessity, reasonable and justified grounds (such as for removal or archiving of select few articles).

Given youve recinded your authorization, you should be able to file a dmca takedown notice and send it to his webhost. If he does not take the material down and provide proof for compliance, his webhost should technically suspend his site.

Comment

Hey just so everyone knows. I am the owner of said forum.

When she made the interview post she said the words "This is an interview for VPU (virtualpetuniverse) done by slash. This is for vpu"

Also in our TOC we claim we have the right to "repost" any info.

Shes actually given us permission to use when she told us this was for "vpu" . I'm not sure how she can dispute this. Its ours to use on the forum if we wish.

Comment

No, no where in that interview does it say it is used for VPU and only VPU, No where did I say it belongs to VPU, I posted in on VPU for myself and other aywas members to see.
                    When the owner had deiced to be rude, and I decided I was going to leave, I took all my content down and left. If the forum owns all the things I Posted, why was the interview the only thing reported and not the review or anything else I took down?

Comment

In the above sentence I Ment re posted, Goodness no typing at 6am

Comment

the review will also be reposted

when you first posted the interview you stated it was for VPU. I'm not saying you don't have writes to use it.

IM SAYING WE HAVE RIGHTS TO USE IF WE WISH.

Comment

This is not an appropriate discussion on our forums.
                          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Working...
                          X