vBulletin pricing thoughts April 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pablo View Post
    When you take 5 year costs, that adds up to $889. And it's likely that you would have to pay for a new forum version in there as well. With the previous license model it would have cost $270 ($120 + $30*5) for all the vBulletin features.
    Originally posted by Ramsesx View Post
    Life is hard and expensive pablo.
    Hm. So it seems that life with IB is now more than three times harder ($270 vs. $889).

Originally posted by Ramsesx View Post
    So, work hard to monetize your forums and wait for vB5. Good luck.
    Ok, even more to pay.
    More than 10 years experience in building communities!
    Consulting for migration, import, newsletter delivery, stats, adserver, choosing the right software.

Comment

I agree with the OP - was pretty shocked when I looked to renew my licences (I have well over a dozen) and saw the new licencing system.

Think the new Jelsoft owners really don't care about customer loyalty, so I've not renewed anything since and am keeping an eye out on Xeforo for when 3.8 outlives its usefulness.

Comment

Change owners?
        www.dancehallareaz.com
        www.caribnation.com

Need i say more?

Comment

Originally posted by MissKalunji View Post
          Change owners?
          Jelsoft was acquired by Internet Brands then IB was acquired by Hellman & Friedman LLC

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...nternet-Brands

The only thing I see wrong with pricing is the Mobile Suite doubled to $199, I believe $99 was a perfect price point and in comparison to the Forum Classic OR the Suite it seems like overkill despite it's benefits although as some have mentioned there are free alternatives. Hey don't get me wrong I love vBulletin everyone knows that but point being the Mobile Style should have been fully completed and usable in non webkit based phone OS's as well before a Mobile Suite was released, can you imagine how it was for me to reply to my wife when she said the sites all messed up on my Blackberry? I could truly care less honestly about the pricing of it all, I will pay what is required to continue in my internet based style of life/work how I see fit it just seems some bugs and routes that seem like utter common sense are being overlooked, scrubbed/placed on the back-burner and not given the attention, one by one until completed that they deserve but enough of my negative outlook on that as that's all we seem to see around here from many and I'm not trying to be negative however there's a fine line between opinion and rants if you deem them so.

Originally posted by By me ;)
          Some people do not understand why you cannot do something nor should they be required to in every situation, they only understand why you did not attempt it or follow through .
          Last edited by TheLastSuperman; Mon 9th May '11, 2:37pm.

Former vBulletin Support Staff
          Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
          Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!
          Need a Host? - I recommend URLJet

Comment

The mobile javascript lib we're using is the reason for the lack of wide browser support. There should be plans to update the mobile style in 414's release (it may have changed by now) to update the jquery mobile to a newer version that has wider browser support.

Comment

Oh that's what the e-mail was about.

Originally posted by TheLastSuperman View Post
              Jelsoft was acquired by Internet Brands then IB was acquired by Hellman & Friedman LLC

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...nternet-Brands

The only thing I see wrong with pricing is the Mobile Suite doubled to $199, I believe $99 was a perfect price point and in comparison to the Forum Classic OR the Suite it seems like overkill despite it's benefits although as some have mentioned there are free alternatives. Hey don't get me wrong I love vBulletin everyone knows that but point being the Mobile Style should have been fully completed and usable in non webkit based phone OS's as well before a Mobile Suite was released, can you imagine how it was for me to reply to my wife when she said the sites all messed up on my Blackberry? I could truly care less honestly about the pricing of it all, I will pay what is required to continue in my internet based style of life/work how I see fit it just seems some bugs and routes that seem like utter common sense are being overlooked, scrubbed/placed on the back-burner and not given the attention, one by one until completed that they deserve but enough of my negative outlook on that as that's all we seem to see around here from many and I'm not trying to be negative however there's a fine line between opinion and rants if you deem them so.
              www.dancehallareaz.com
              www.caribnation.com

Need i say more?

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                The mobile javascript lib we're using is the reason for the lack of wide browser support. There should be plans to update the mobile style in 414's release (it may have changed by now) to update the jquery mobile to a newer version that has wider browser support.
                YES! TY for that info Zachery, very nice to know .

Former vBulletin Support Staff
                Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
                Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!
                Need a Host? - I recommend URLJet

Comment

Originally posted by pablo View Post
                  I've been a longterm vBulletin customer since 2002. Over the years I've seen things change, and sadly they are generally for the worse. The current price seriously prohibits me purchasing any more licenses, I currently own 6, and would consider buying more.

The current price is $195 for a forum version and now $199 for a mobile suite (which suddenly comes with a yearly renewal $99). When you take 5 year costs, that adds up to $889. And it's likely that you would have to pay for a new forum version in there as well. With the previous license model it would have cost $270 ($120 + $30*5) for all the vBulletin features.

I must say I am surprised that vBulletin has a charge for a mobile app. Granted development has its costs, but having a new product fragments users. Bundling it in with the forum and/or CMS would have made the product unique in the market.

I'm all for businesses making money, but I am really considering looking at alternatives. In the short term vBulletin will make money, but I predict that they will drive away a certain percentage of customers. It is a bit of economics, fewer customers, who are paying more, results in less costs for things like support and more profit. But things that made vBulletin outstanding previously, like the large vB.org community I know will start to start decline, as developers who love the product will be forced to look elsewhere.

I know nobody is forcing me to keep my forum up to date, but it's getting more and more costly to do so. 4 of my forums run vb3.8 and I can't justify the $175 to upgrade them.

I really like the vBulletin products & their creative and helpful staff. But I fear that my support to this company will be coming to an end soon
                  Dude you can't expect it to be for free. Try and save as much as you can. I know it can be hard because of the cost of living gets us all.
                  Hey the developers have to pay the bills somehow. They can't be expected to do the work for free.
                  Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                  Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                    4.1.5 according to the roadmap in JIRA.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X