vBulletin pricing thoughts April 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBulletin pricing thoughts April 2011

I've been a longterm vBulletin customer since 2002. Over the years I've seen things change, and sadly they are generally for the worse. The current price seriously prohibits me purchasing any more licenses, I currently own 6, and would consider buying more.

The current price is $195 for a forum version and now $199 for a mobile suite (which suddenly comes with a yearly renewal $99). When you take 5 year costs, that adds up to $889. And it's likely that you would have to pay for a new forum version in there as well. With the previous license model it would have cost $270 ($120 + $30*5) for all the vBulletin features.

I must say I am surprised that vBulletin has a charge for a mobile app. Granted development has its costs, but having a new product fragments users. Bundling it in with the forum and/or CMS would have made the product unique in the market.

I'm all for businesses making money, but I am really considering looking at alternatives. In the short term vBulletin will make money, but I predict that they will drive away a certain percentage of customers. It is a bit of economics, fewer customers, who are paying more, results in less costs for things like support and more profit. But things that made vBulletin outstanding previously, like the large vB.org community I know will start to start decline, as developers who love the product will be forced to look elsewhere.

I know nobody is forcing me to keep my forum up to date, but it's getting more and more costly to do so. 4 of my forums run vb3.8 and I can't justify the $175 to upgrade them.

I really like the vBulletin products & their creative and helpful staff. But I fear that my support to this company will be coming to an end soon
    My Sites :

Life is hard and expensive pablo. For mobile there are free alternatives like forumrunner and tapatalk. And, vB 3.8x is still rock stable and one of the best forum software on earth.
    So, work hard to monetize your forums and wait for vB5. Good luck.

Comment

I agree with the OP. I LOVE vBulletin. But it seems like vB just KEEPS upping the ante as far as costs are concerned. Be careful, vB... your going to push buyers away, and some startup will come out with software that is on par with vB and then BAM, yer gonna be in trouble....

I'm all for paying a fair price, I just think vB thinks they are the king of the hill and is crazily adding fees here and there.

Before, I paid $99 a year... now I just bought a $250 upgrade license... and honestly, I don't even know what I purchased. Lol. Is it a FOREVER license? Will I have to pay more for vB 5.0 when it comes out???

Charge a fair price, and stop gouging your loyal customers who continue to support vB.

Be careful.... your going to lose business if you keep your eyes ONLY ON THE $$$.

It's not only about the $$$$. Trust me...

Comment

Just to put it out there... I was totally gonna go with mobile suite @ $99 per year... which I still thought was expensive. But now, that vB upped the fee to $199; I will NOT purchase the mobile suite, period. Tapatalk works just fine and even tho its minimally customizable, it will have to do for AR-Drone-US.COM.

Comment

vB4 is a forever license, you can run it as long as you want, vB5 is not included so far. So, if you run vB4 for ten years you paid a yearly fee of only 25 bucks, isn't that a cool deal?

Comment

Originally posted by Paulie420 View Post
            I was totally gonna go with mobile suite @ $99 per year... which I still thought was expensive. But now, that vB upped the fee to $199; I will NOT purchase the mobile suite, period.
            The yearly fee is still $99 for support and upgrades.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Originally posted by Ramsesx View Post
              vB4 is a forever license, you can run it as long as you want, vB5 is not included so far. So, if you run vB4 for ten years you paid a yearly fee of only 25 bucks, isn't that a cool deal?
              running vb4 for 10 years sounds more like a punishment tbh

j/k

Comment

Originally posted by Ramsesx View Post
                True, but once VB5 comes out most likely updates for VB4 will stop right?
                http://www.streamernation.com

Comment

Originally posted by Boristheblade View Post
                  True, but once VB5 comes out most likely updates for VB4 will stop right?
                  Feature development will stop, bugfixes will continue for a while, security for even longer. 3.8 is still going to have security updates (even though they have confusingly declared it "EOL", which is obviously not the case).
                  MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
                  AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Just to put it out there

Comment

I'm personally not a fan of the changes since vb4 came about, I have a owned vb 3.something license and cannot for the life of me understand the upgrade fee, you'd think they would reward there loyal customers not rip them off. Been looking into invision power, they seem to provide more regular updates and its cheaper.
                      http://images.absolutepunk.net/images/andrew.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Bratac View Post
                        I'm personally not a fan of the changes since vb4 came about, I have a owned vb 3.something license and cannot for the life of me understand the upgrade fee, you'd think they would reward there loyal customers not rip them off. Been looking into invision power, they seem to provide more regular updates and its cheaper.
                        Likewise.... for the forum software I did see why it cost so much... i was flabbergasted when i saw the price of the mobile from 99 to 199$ but what can you do? I will upgrade later, as I don't have much choice, I forgot to upgrade my 3.2 to 3.8.5 but I'm a bit worried of it resource wise...I say it's either you take it or suck it up...
                        www.dancehallareaz.com
                        www.caribnation.com

Need i say more?

Comment

Originally posted by Bratac View Post
                          Just a small point, but, Invision is NOT cheaper.
                          MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
                          AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

invision is $150 and vbulletin is $195 i know its not a huge difference but still, invision also offer alot more products and are way ahead ui wise.
                            http://images.absolutepunk.net/images/andrew.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                              Just a small point, but, Invision is NOT cheaper.
                              In terms of licensing, yes Invision is not cheaper. However factor in figures such as total cost of ownership as well as productivity, you're more than likely going to make up that in the long run with server costs likely lower and the amount of productivity making up for that small licensing cost.
                              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X